Who Will Be the Superpower in 40-50 Years?

Off Topic Comments Area

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Select

United States of America
35%
Communist Peoples Republic of China
31%
India
8%
Other
15%
European Union(If considered)
12%

Total votes: 26
Mission Space
Colonel
Human: Yes

Who Will Be the Superpower in 40-50 Years?

Post by Mission Space »

Please select, then state why, if other please put say who and why
Last edited by Mission Space on Jun 08 2010, edited 1 time in total.
Ruges
General
Location: Nearby, really I'll see you tonight when your sleeping

Re: Who Will Be the Superpower in 15-20 Years?

Post by Ruges »

15-20 years is not allot of time so I am sticking with the US. While China could easily become number 1. I dont see them as making a grab for this position. Atleast not militarily. In economy I defenatly see china making grab for the top postion. And I might even say they have already reached that spot but noone would admit that. Na china is not going to force itself into the Superpower instead focusing on its economy, Then once its economy is as robust as the US's military is to the rest of the world, then it might make a try for the worlds Superpower. Russia does not have the economy to become the worlds superpower. And EU is too disorganized to become it. Also reguarding EU, For them to become the Superpower they would basicaly have tobe one nation, with each current nation acting more like a state, which I dont see happening.

Of course this depends on the US's economy not collapsing, or some catastropic scenario.
Rhyus
Colonel

Post by Rhyus »

I agree with Ruges but i do think that china could be the superpower in 50 years
The Khan
General

Post by The Khan »

If China can stem the brain drain and encourage its students to come back, China can easily be 1#.

However, I live in a dorm full of chinese, and NONE of them want to go back, they know their wages there will be crap and all have seen the lifestyles of people with jobs equivalent to their own.

China is bleeding its brains, and for fear of inflation they don't raise prices, serves them right.
I cant play SR2020 well but I still love 2010. Chris will hate me for exploiting his game to death.
Date of Order: 2007-11-15 20:03
Product information:
Supreme Ruler 2010 (1 x 19.99 USD)
3 years baby
Galindo
Lieutenant

Post by Galindo »

Brazil Forever!
After dec 21 2012 the world order will be decided by the best in football and we will rule the world.
With Ironfist BTW you'll all have to speak portugese, be surfers, dance samba and drink caipirinha all day long.
Kidding, by then I belive Brazil will be in a good position but the US will remain the superpower but I coudn'd help to notice that you've put Brazil as a possible superpower, you've just got yourself a new fan. ;)
"Ordem e Progresso"
Hullu Hevonen
General

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

I think there will be multiply "Superpowers" in 15-20 years. And I think it is wrong to say that the PRC is communist, It should just be named named Peoples Republic of China without Communist before the name. and in 50 Years I think China(PRC) might be the Strongest Superpower, European Union(if it keeps going in the direction of Federation) and USA still superpower, but at a third position. Russia might also be at the Super Chair.
Happy Linux user!
Links: List of Mods
fool
General

Post by fool »

Tbh, I don't think it's all that relevant any more.
"All warfare is based on deception...
Hold out baits to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and crush him."

Sun Tzu, The Art of War
The Khan
General

Post by The Khan »

Yeah. The world will end in 2012 anyway.

Or Aliens will attack and we will build the world federation.
I cant play SR2020 well but I still love 2010. Chris will hate me for exploiting his game to death.
Product information:
3 years baby
Feltan
General

Post by Feltan »

I think the US will still be the top dog in 15-20 years.

Not that things are going well here, but they aren't going well anywhere else either. Europe is on the verge of imploding, and China is staving off so many internal issues -- sooner or later the chickens will come home to roost there. You can't keep 80% of your population in poverty to the advantage of the other 20% -- I think a certain French king learned that lesson already. :-)

Brazil? Well, if hot chicks counted toward world domination I would say they would be the leade already!

Regards,
Feltan
ETA Five Minutes ......
Ragu
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Ragu »

Unless a major war was to happen again, then this is pretty redundant. Remember it was WWII that made the US a global superpower. That was born of neccessity not choice.

Also remember that the inter-war period the US army was freely kept by congress at +/-136,000 soliders. Hardly a global superpower.

For a nation wanting to become a superpower right now, would take many long years or raising homeland productivity to create jobs and sufficint income to even start paying off their debts. Then the whole masses of research to even come anywhere near close to the US, plus factor into that the engineering side of that, development time and everything else.

15-20 years?

In my opinion, without a large scale conflict happening I just dont see that timeframe being anywhere near viable.
The Khan
General

Post by The Khan »

Ragu wrote:Unless a major war was to happen again, then this is pretty redundant. Remember it was WWII that made the US a global superpower. That was born of neccessity not choice.

Also remember that the inter-war period the US army was freely kept by congress at +/-136,000 soliders. Hardly a global superpower.

For a nation wanting to become a superpower right now, would take many long years or raising homeland productivity to create jobs and sufficint income to even start paying off their debts. Then the whole masses of research to even come anywhere near close to the US, plus factor into that the engineering side of that, development time and everything else.

15-20 years?

In my opinion, without a large scale conflict happening I just dont see that timeframe being anywhere near viable.
Or a revolutionary idea,action or research. If, for example, a Chinese scientist would discover a very profitable way of producing fuel cells, rendering oil nearly redundant, or discovering FTL drive on a wild impulse, surely things'd change.

US should stay for a long time, unless extreme spending makes it collapse.

here, germans are pissed off about paying Greece. They say next will be Spain and Portugal, and they'll go broke.
Product information:
3 years baby
Ragu
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Ragu »

Germans still owe Greece reperations from WWII. So Germany has a moral obligation to help Greece.
The Khan
General

Post by The Khan »

Ragu wrote:Germans still owe Greece reperations from WWII. So Germany has a moral obligation to help Greece.
|O
Product information:
3 years baby
Vuk-Wolf
Colonel

Post by Vuk-Wolf »

I think people in this topic are kinda voting more for who they would like to be a superpower than who has chance to be.I personaly dont really like USA is superpower but i think it will still be for long time.
But also china is by my thinking now second superpower, who controls much stuff in world (goods and stuff) when i go to any store and buy anything no matter what it is writes made in china.
Just when I discovered the meaning of life, they changed it.
fool
General

Post by fool »

Japan and Brazil are off the table for me - lowest populations in the list and without a massive economic advantage to make up for that. India has the potential to be a great power - probably not a superpower I'd say, since it's outstripped by China both in terms of population and clearly in economy. The European Union is an interesting one, and actually has a slightly larger economy than the United States if you pool the whole thing, but it's not and will not be enough of a single, cohesive state to get it. China is a major contender, but I very much doubt it will outstrip the United States in 20 years. If it was 40 I would have chosen it, but in 20 years I'd say still the US.

It's still hardly relevant though, because it seems to me nations are becoming less and less important.
"All warfare is based on deception...
Hold out baits to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and crush him."

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Return to “Off Topic Comments”