World War 1 Discussion

Off Topic Comments Area

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Mission Space
Colonel
Human: Yes

World War 1 Discussion

Post by Mission Space »

Just wanted to open a thread of World War 1...what is your opinion on it? Was it a necessary war? or was it just pointless..was the battle of the Somme really needed? What lead to the disaster at Gallipoli? What do you think about the Armenian genocide?
The Khan
General

Re: World War 1 Discussion

Post by The Khan »

Mission Space wrote: What lead to the disaster at Gallipoli?
Misplaced landing beacon, lack of advanced communications gear, and plenty of defensive preparations due to Mustafa Kemal Pasha's experience of defensive operations against an Amphibious assault during the Tripoli war, German aid, and our fanatical determination (military is held as sacred in Turkish tradition, with falling in service of country held as the most sacred thing)
What do you think about the Armenian genocide?
I do not agree with it being a genocide, more of a massacre and bungled attempt at forced relocation, given the moribund economy and logistics of the empire at that time (thanks to all Armenian rebels who stabbed Ottomans in the back during the most critical moments of Russo Turkish war)
I cant play SR2020 well but I still love 2010. Chris will hate me for exploiting his game to death.
Date of Order: 2007-11-15 20:03
Product information:
Supreme Ruler 2010 (1 x 19.99 USD)
3 years baby
Kreiger815
Colonel

Post by Kreiger815 »

The Khan wrote:What genocide?
:lol:

I knew you would say this as soon as I saw the thread.

And to the OP, when you say was the war necessary, which side do you mean?

EDIT:Oh he edited his post.
Last edited by Kreiger815 on Sep 01 2009, edited 1 time in total.
Mission Space
Colonel

Post by Mission Space »

@ Krieger..at least he said it was a massacre..unlike many other Turks who deny the fact it existed..no offense to Khan :roll:
The Khan
General

Post by The Khan »

Mission Space wrote:@ Krieger..at least he said it was a massacre..unlike many other Turks who deny the fact it existed..no offense to Khan :roll:
And I have a large Armenian community in Istanbul,and smaller ones in Central Anatolia to back my thoughts up. If we wanted a real genocide(destruction of a certain ethnicity), you wouldn't find an Armenian in Turkey. Indeed, a guy I know of Bilkent University's Sci-Fi&Fantasy Fiction club is an Armenian who is vociferously secular Kemalist.
I cant play SR2020 well but I still love 2010. Chris will hate me for exploiting his game to death.
Product information:
3 years baby
Mission Space
Colonel

Post by Mission Space »

Hey khan do you know any site in which I can find the world war 1 ottoman uniforms? I only imagine them with the red hat and an 1800's style uniform...though I do know they had helmets and proper uniforms
Ruges
General
Location: Nearby, really I'll see you tonight when your sleeping

Post by Ruges »

I acualy dont know that much about WW1. couple key points is all. The combat styles just seemed terrible. It was like they where still trying to hold onto the old way of stand in a line and shoot at each other. It was really really stupid people leading the way. I dont understand how a man could order thousands of men to charge a wall of bullets, where most of its troops would be killed, with a low probabilty for success. And not only todo it once, but todo it multiple times. Its like banging your head against a brick wall to take it down.
Mission Space
Colonel

Post by Mission Space »

Ruges wrote:I acualy dont know that much about WW1. couple key points is all. The combat styles just seemed terrible. It was like they where still trying to hold onto the old way of stand in a line and shoot at each other. It was really really stupid people leading the way. I dont understand how a man could order thousands of men to charge a wall of bullets, where most of its troops would be killed, with a low probabilty for success. And not only todo it once, but todo it multiple times. Its like banging your head against a brick wall to take it down.
100% with ya..the Aussies even dug trenches at Gallipoli...Though I think the Eastern front was more of a war of movement...I wonder how the Armies would have fought on a field without using the Napoleonic or rather "gentleman" style of war..
Kreiger815
Colonel

Post by Kreiger815 »

Mission Space wrote:
100% with ya..the Aussies even dug trenches at Gallipoli...Though I think the Eastern front was more of a war of movement...I wonder how the Armies would have fought on a field without using the Napoleonic or rather "gentleman" style of war..
WW1 tactics weren't exactly Napoleonic, they more closely resembled Crimean War/War between the States(Where trench warfare truly developed) style fighting. There was no gentleman style to either of those conflicts.

There were some aspects of mobile warfare as well on the western front, Erwin Rommel actually describes this in his book. The mobility was more on the squad/platoon based level than the army level though, as seen by the never ending stalemate.
Mission Space
Colonel

Post by Mission Space »

Kreiger815 wrote:
Mission Space wrote:
WW1 tactics weren't exactly Napoleonic, they more closely resembled Crimean War/War between the States(Where trench warfare truly developed) style fighting. There was no gentleman style to either of those conflicts.

There were some aspects of mobile warfare as well on the western front, Erwin Rommel actually describes this in his book. The mobility was more on the squad/platoon based level than the army level though, as seen by the never ending stalemate.
No I ment..If world war one armies hadnt fought using trenches how would they have fought? in line formation? then Make Ready! Present! Fire! Im not to familiar with Crimean war tactics either..
Mission Space
Colonel

Post by Mission Space »

aside from that..I am very interested in this war..are there any good books on Von Lettow in Africa or the General African campaign, The Pacific Campaign(though no real battles took place except for Qingdao) or even on the Middle Eastern/Caucasian front? and maybe even Balkan?
The Khan
General

Post by The Khan »

Mission Space wrote:Hey khan do you know any site in which I can find the world war 1 ottoman uniforms? I only imagine them with the red hat and an 1800's style uniform...though I do know they had helmets and proper uniforms
There is a whole Turkish book about it, didn't buy it though, let's see if I can get some pics out of it..

http://kitap.antoloji.com/1-dunya-savas ... lt-kitabi/

Actual book in Turkish.

Extremely worn uniforms due to nonexistant industry in wartime.

Something better and in higher def.

The round topped hap is a "kabalak", the furry one that looks Russian is "kalpak"
Last edited by The Khan on Sep 04 2009, edited 1 time in total.
Product information:
3 years baby
Mission Space
Colonel

Post by Mission Space »

looks good :-), did they use the standard German rifle or another type in world war 1?
The Khan
General

Post by The Khan »

Mission Space wrote:looks good :-), did they use the standard German rifle or another type in world war 1?
A mix. Since our economy was totaled, we used Mosin Nagants from Leninist Russia (as a gift), German Kar(98?) rifles, other German weapons, and French&Italian weaponry (the last 2 stolen from occupied Istanbul when we started the Liberation War)
Product information:
3 years baby
Mission Space
Colonel

Post by Mission Space »

I was reading a book on world war 1..it showed a map of all the fronts..I looked at Persia and I saw the Mesopotamian front..was their really any conflict their between Ottoman and Russian forces or just skirmishes

Return to “Off Topic Comments”