First, I'd like to congratulate Johan and the rest of his team for their accomplishments with Hearts of Iron 3. Completion of a project like this is always a challenge and when I look at the game I see lots of evidence of the hard work they have put into the game.
Second, I would like to be clear that the purpose of this thread is not to waste time on discussions of which game is better. If ppl would like to indicate a preference for one game or the other they are welcome to it but what I'm looking to discuss is features that are common to both games but implemented differently. Our two titles share many aspects and I'd like to do some analysis.
My observations for now will be limited since I've only had time to play a couple hours of HoI3 so far. Having not played the previous versions, I'm finding it's a slow learning process for me but I hope others will help add to this;
1) Espionage exists in both games, but is done rather differently. One element I noticed was that HoI allows spies to be used to affect domestic opinion of other regions. I find this an interesting idea but haven't played with it enough yet.
2) Units on map in HoI3 switch to tokens when zoomed out with some information vs. our 3D models all the time. No real opinion yet of one system vs. the other but a concept we've seen before such as in Sins of the Solar Empires or Supreme Commander. I'm still learning what information their tokens contain.
3) A World Map exists in both games but I'm finding navigation much harder in HoI3. I miss the ability to map drag the way we allow and I also think the zoom focus being the mouse cursor is a much better system.
4) Selected buttons in HoI don't seem to have an effect to show they are selected. When you're selecting diplomacy region filters there is no indication which filter is on. In SR such buttons are outlined or brighter to show selection. I've found that confusing at times in HoI
5) Names on map in HoI when zoomed in is a very nice, we've had ideas for "names on map" before but they seem to have found a good system.
Please add more but try and keep info on a given feature brief, if something is for really big discussion as a concept it should be in either our development section or HoI's forum for detailed discussion.
First of all Pdox should of spent about a month more on the game, itÂ´s so buggy(but I think it was delibareate.)
1) the Spy system in hoi3
is good, but it lacks alot. I like effecting a specific city(sr2020) and do sabotage or recon in a near by attack route to get early warning on and attack or destroy something to cause them a headache. What is good in the HOI3
system is that you have more options to effect the other nations, but when it comes to assigning them to missions, in hoi3
you can only give all your spies the same task while in SR2020 you can assign your spies moore freely.
2) I've been trying to find a way to (in options or somewhere) to make it so that you'll see the well animated solider when you soom out allso. So I like the sr2020 more, they have a larger sortiment of meshes/sprites.
3) I compleetly agree. First time i played the game I automaticly try to move arounde the map in the way in sr2020
4) no real comment, but i think they should indicate which is on and which not.
5) I don't think that this feature should be based on a game in the future, it fits for hoi3
cause it's 1936-1948(?) there fore you can read you history and know if it was that name during all that time, while basing this in sr2020 would have to really on guessing the plausible name in 2020.
-) tech systems: I like the SR2020 tech system more whit their tech levels and tech treeas it's much moore realistical, but it gives you a specific feeling when you practicly can "research" your own battleship class, when you can reseach specific parts.
-) The map it self in hoi3
is really in accurate and it annoys the hell out of me! it's like they have drawn up a bunch of provinces and named them from compairing a real map to them and in haste picked some close by names. But one thing that is much better in HOI3
about the map is when you zoom out and it looks like a old paper map in front of you
-) statistics: I think that the both games are on a equal foot when it comes to this, but they could + the others systems to eachother.