wow, did you see the stupidity of greeces new law ?

Off Topic Comments Area

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

It is NOW ILLEGAL to play games on the internet in greece .

Apparently they were developing quite a problem with online gambling.Thier solution to this was to BAN all online gaming.

Chess,checkers,mmorpgs,muds,you name it,are now all illegal even to do in the privacy of your own home .
They have already arrested thier first "criminals" who broke this law.They bravely raided one of those most dangerous of places,the online cafe, and arrested the owner and workers.

Just another thing to add to the list of incredibly stupid things governments do I guess.
I do wonder however which is truly sadder,the government who makes and enforces such laws or the public that lets them.
aias_g
Corporal

Post by aias_g »

My dear friend. Just for your info I am from Greece and I would like to inform you that is good to have an opinion and even better if you express it in the open. Though expressing with that manner your feelings for a whole country and its people is inappropriate and of course when you are speaking for Greece which is one of the many civilizations that created the meaning... of civilzation from the ancient. Of course the law is wrong and they did a mistake. But a lot of countries have wrong & funny laws. I am a gamer and I would not like to be arrested playing civilization or supreme ruler :smile: lets say... I am sure there will be a change to this law.
3iff
Brigadier Gen.

Post by 3iff »

Sorry, I don't see any insult from Tkobo's post regarding Greece or its people.

He simply mentioned the stupidity of the law which should have affected one small part of internet use and has been so badly phrased as to make ALL games illegal.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

I also think Tkobo was making reference to the idea that people on their own make good decisions but when grouped into a "general public", they too often see things as other people’s problems and don't speak out about it. I'm not sure how Greece ratifies laws, but that one only made it past due to government carelessness. Of course, I've learned to expect nothing more from MOST government agencies worldwide! :wink:
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

I'm not sure what you are taking offense too .

If indeed the people of greece stand up and get the law changed then they did not "let the government enforce" this stupid law and therefore by the opinion stated by me above would not be as sad as the government that passed it to begin with.

However if they dont,if they allow the law to stand ,well then my opinion is already stated.

The more I read about this law the more Im astounded.The first articles i read only mentioned online games.But that was not entirely accurrate.
Its all electronic games.Thats not even the worst of the law.
According to 2 articles I read today,under this law you can be arrested for simply carrying an electronic game.You don't even have to be playing it to violate this law.

People who uses windows on their home pc are now breaking the law ,because windows comes with games built into it.

There is even a report that a person was arrested because they watched a dvd movie that had a promotional game on it.

People living there or Tourists visiting greece carrying mobile phones that have games on them are risking jail time.

Lastly this law was enacted the end of july.Even worse the government made its decision in febuary to pass this law and made it public.
So basically it been a known problem for roughly 6 months already now.

Theres no question anyway you look at it,this is an incredibly stupid law.
It makes an entire industry illegal(yes there is a computer game industry in greece),it will slaughter the tourist traffic,it will mean that any pc shipped to greece will have to custom installs of windows to even be allowed to enter the country legally,people entering greece on business will have to scrub their laptops eliminating anything that could possible be considered a game,not to mention mobile phones.
aias_g
Corporal

Post by aias_g »

Sorry, guys. I am also mad with this and I am not the only one here... I am thinking of digging a selter where I can use my PC now :smile:

Return to “Off Topic Comments”