Modding Facilities without corrupting the UNIT file

This forum has been archived. Please use the new modding forum. If you need to retrieve a thread from here, contact BattleGoat.

Moderators: Balthagor, BattleGoat

irfanahmed1979
Major
Human: Yes

Modding Facilities without corrupting the UNIT file

Post by irfanahmed1979 »

Is there a way of editing the facilities data without corrupting the rest of the UNIT file. I use excel 2010 to open a UNIT file. The import wizard gives me options and this is what I choose Delimited-> Comma -> General. To save I click the floppy disk icon and then "Yes" on the dialogue box that appears. Then to close the file I again save and choose file type MS-DOS CSV. This saves the UNIT file like this FILENAME.UNIT.csv, I delete the original UNIT file and rename the UNIT.csv unit file to the deleted file's name.

I did get some results modding the facilities but then I had a look at the unit production and unit design research. The names for the units (except land transport and naval transport) are missing but the rest of the stats are there. I don't know what to do. Is it that facilities cannot be modded or is my way of importing and saving the UNIT file in excel is flawed. What's the correct way to do it (please don't say use notepad because I'll go crazy figuring out which value affects what; no columns and rows and no what to sort or filter data).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
evildari
Brigadier Gen.

Re: Modding Facilities without corrupting the UNIT file

Post by evildari »

did not use excel for editing the unit file, but you may check if it looks like this screenshot after import.

This was simply opened with "SoftmakerOffice 2018":
with options: Codepage 1252(default - UTF-8 may work too), Fields separated by Comma, and NO automatic text recognition
i guess this makes those "" visible - but in my experience you can completely delete them since the game does not seem to need them and works without them.
And excel could have some issues with them.

My old standard suite was libre office 5 - but it may behave extremely slow depending on your graphics card and drivers and the very first thing to do is to check those options and enable or disable various graphics driver related settings to be usable.
Also it has real issues with large files - my recent 75K rows oof file generator takes quit some time for update (using manual update) also running loots of lookups and countifs to analyze it.

I think softmakerOffice 2018 got a 30 day trial and it is very fast - compared to libreoffice with that big oof file it feels at least 10x faster. It also opens and saves to .xlsx files.

In both suites i had no issues with exporting a clean working csv file - the unit file works basically just after renaming no need to delete something..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
my mods
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=25932 (even techs and units for everyone - AI will own you too)
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=29326 (MARSX2)
irfanahmed1979
Major

Post by irfanahmed1979 »

evildari wrote:did not use excel for editing the unit file, but you may check if it looks like this screenshot after import.

This was simply opened with "SoftmakerOffice 2018":
with options: Codepage 1252(default - UTF-8 may work too), Fields separated by Comma, and NO automatic text recognition
i guess this makes those "" visible - but in my experience you can completely delete them since the game does not seem to need them and works without them.
And excel could have some issues with them.

My old standard suite was libre office 5 - but it may behave extremely slow depending on your graphics card and drivers and the very first thing to do is to check those options and enable or disable various graphics driver related settings to be usable.
Also it has real issues with large files - my recent 75K rows oof file generator takes quit some time for update (using manual update) also running loots of lookups and countifs to analyze it.

I think softmakerOffice 2018 got a 30 day trial and it is very fast - compared to libreoffice with that big oof file it feels at least 10x faster. It also opens and saves to .xlsx files.

In both suites i had no issues with exporting a clean working csv file - the unit file works basically just after renaming no need to delete something..
Thanks. I'm still using Excel 2010 with the method I've described. I noticed that the names of most units have multiple quotation marks like this " """ UNITNAME"" ". After deleting the quotation marks using notepad and re-caching the name appears in game 8O
Uriens
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Uriens »

I'm using openoffice to check data in the file (love the freeze function there) and Notepad++ for actual edits. Notepad+ doesn't corrupt UNIT file.

Return to “Modding SRUltimate”