NATO counters yet again.....

This forum has been archived. Please use the new modding forum. If you need to retrieve a thread from here, contact BattleGoat.

Moderators: Balthagor, BattleGoat

greensheen
Corporal
Human: Yes

NATO counters yet again.....

Post by greensheen »

If I provide others with 1024x1024 PNG files of the desired NATO counters, will others be able to make them into displayable counters for the appropriate units?

What would I have to do with these PNG files to make this happen?
Nerei
General

Re: NATO counters yet again.....

Post by Nerei »

It would need a mesh for the texture to be applied to in-game. A simple plane or box could work. This is fairly simple to do.

The tricky part is how you want it to act. If all you want is to have NATO style icons behave like vehicles in-game including rotating and being at an angle it can just be made like any other SR unit but to me at least that would not look good.

The better option to me at least would be to have a flat plane face the camera/player and make it look more like the Hearts of iron tokens. The main issue here is that the unit will still be rotating so while it will look good from certain angles it will most likely be horrible from others or outright disappear.
There might be a way to lock this but the documentation for the picnums file that controls the models are not exactly extensive.

The rest would be like normal unit models. UGBITS would just be a 64x64 version of the main texture and making the game use it instead of the current models while quite the work would also be a regular recache work.

It would be easier if BG had provided more information about how default.picnums entries work.
greensheen
Corporal

Re: NATO counters yet again.....

Post by greensheen »

OK, then a question for the moderator! Can we disable the rotation function? Or more properly, can we have the icon counter-rotated to match and cancel out the effect of the rotation? It would be nice to place an indicator pointer chevron in the correct 1 of 6 directions, and this pointer could be color-coded to show the status of what the unit is trying to do in that direction. That would also function as a facing indicator.

Also, there is a need to superimpose a changing texture segment on top of the unit to indicate variable text and other unit status indicators such as colored dots for supply state and other such things. This means dynamically changing the unit on the fly (or having hundreds of "directions" to uniquely distinguish a large group of possibilities for each unit to show the desired info overlay)

Return to “Modding SRUltimate”