Modding units: an idea for special forces infiltration in neutral territory

This forum has been archived. Please use the new modding forum. If you need to retrieve a thread from here, contact BattleGoat.

Moderators: Balthagor, BattleGoat

Faisal Panezai
Sergeant
Human: Yes

Modding units: an idea for special forces infiltration in neutral territory

Post by Faisal Panezai »

Here's a scenario: You're at war with country A, and they've sent some of their units to another country B, with which they have either: an alliance or a transit treaty. You're not at war with country B, but you'd like to wreck any equipment country A has on country B territory. Specifically, you'd like to drop in a team of special forces via helicopter to do this job. Except you can't do that without declaring war on neutral country B (at least, as far as I know. This is my major assumption moving forward).

What if.. I take an infantry unit, like airborne elite, and mod the following tags:

Remove it's ability to capture land (just the way air units are set up)
Change its movement type to low-altitude flight (we keep their movement speed unchanged. They're still on legs for that purpose)

Now, could I load the airborne elite unit into a helicopter and drop them over proxy (country B) territory? I think I could at least have them 'walk' (hover, since we know better) over the border into country B.

If they're not capping land, if they're 'technically' flying (air units allowed to path over neutral regions) and if they engage country A units on country B territory, then they're essentially an infiltration unit acting covertly in proxy territory, albeit with very, very limited supplies. Presumably, they will be engaged by country B units upon discovery (attack neutral regions that violate airspace), without having the ability to counter-engage (as I'm not at war with B, and um, it's their territory).

I'm going to try this out when I have some time tomorrow. I have no idea if this is even possible without actually trying it first, but would really like to hear from the experienced modders on this forum if this has been tried before.

Edit: Imagine the possibilities! You could have Turkish troops occupying northern Syria, the US landing a chopper in Pakistan to kill OBL, or Russia occupying a border crossing in Transnistria, all without a declaration of war or taking a single hex of land, while accumulating casus belli over time with the neutral region due to your 'occupation'/'intrusion' or technically 'airspace violations' driving them nuts.
Last edited by Faisal Panezai on Mar 13 2017, edited 1 time in total.
Zuikaku
General

Re: Modding units: an idea for special forces infiltration in neutral territory

Post by Zuikaku »

You can set every unit not to capture land. It is in game option.
Please teach AI everything!
Faisal Panezai
Sergeant

Post by Faisal Panezai »

Yes, precisely. Now consider this: for simplicity, we make a new land unit that cannot claim land (like jets or supply ships) and change it to low-flying movement type (what helicopters use, basically). Can this unit now cross over into neutral territory under the pretense of 'flying' over neutral territory? It's still basically legged infantry or a light vehicle. It can't resupply, it can't engage neutral units. BUT if they see enemies against whom war has officially been declared, they'd still engage right?

I'm basically trying to engineer land incursions. Giving the no-land-cap tag to a specific unit makes it easier than managing it via ministry controls.

Also, I don't really know what I'm taking about here ^^, very new to modding

Edit: I'd try it out straight away but I'm occupied with some errands. Practical tests will have to wait till tomorrow.
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

Faisal Panezai wrote:Yes, precisely. Now consider this: for simplicity, we make a new land unit that cannot claim land (like jets or supply ships) and change it to low-flying movement type (what helicopters use, basically). Can this unit now cross over into neutral territory under the pretense of 'flying' over neutral territory? It's still basically legged infantry or a light vehicle. It can't resupply, it can't engage neutral units. BUT if they see enemies against whom war has officially been declared, they'd still engage right?

I'm basically trying to engineer land incursions. Giving the no-land-cap tag to a specific unit makes it easier than managing it via ministry controls.

Also, I don't really know what I'm taking about here ^^, very new to modding

Edit: I'd try it out straight away but I'm occupied with some errands. Practical tests will have to wait till tomorrow.
So, what you basically want is some sort of hybrid super unit?
You are describing airmobile infantry. why don't you just board them on transport helicopters and set them (infantry) not to capture land. You can embark them anywhere you want and attack enemy units.
Please teach AI everything!

Return to “Modding SRUltimate”