Map Modding

This forum has been archived. Please use the new modding forum. If you need to retrieve a thread from here, contact BattleGoat.

Moderators: Balthagor, BattleGoat

Anthropoid
Colonel
Human: Yes

Map Modding

Post by Anthropoid »

I just realized China has 577 coal fired electricity generator plants in the map that is used for the 1936 Germany campaign.

Given Germany only has 190, this suggestst to me a part of why Japan tends to get pawned in the second Sino-Japanese war.

I want to:

Remove about 488 of those coal plants (but leave the industrial hubs), as well as other extensive changes to China to make it less capable of steamrollering Japan and acting as the world's leading exporter and technology producer by the end of 1937.

How is this done?
YoMomma
Brigadier Gen.

Re: Map Modding

Post by YoMomma »

Yah and you know what's funny? In 2020 they got 360 coal plants and 111 hydro and huge shortage on electricity and like to research clean coal. Great conditions to declare 10 wars at the same time with their superior troops :roll:
In '36 they got 89 hydro btw!! :oops:

Anyway you mod the facilities in maps/1936.OOF.
You find the facility code in data/DEFAULT.UNIT (just go below the file or search for coal and industrial complex)

Now in the OOF file you will see stuff starting with 21003, as you just looked up this is industrial complex.
After that you will see the coord of the hex in map.
Well delete that whole row and delete whole row 21042 (power - coal) with the same coord.
Coal plants in cities are easier since all is together in the file, so just search for the city.

Save, cache, and you removed coal plants. If you want to put them on another spot in the same hex you need to know 1 more thing, but you didnt ask that :P

Oh yeah 1 more thing i use winmerge for most my modding its free and very easy to use.
Gameplay 1st
Anthropoid
Colonel

Post by Anthropoid »

YoMomma wrote:Yah and you know what's funny? In 2020 they got 360 coal plants and 111 hydro and huge shortage on electricity and like to research clean coal. Great conditions to declare 10 wars at the same time with their superior troops :roll:
In '36 they got 89 hydro btw!! :oops:

Anyway you mod the facilities in maps/1936.OOF.
You find the facility code in data/DEFAULT.UNIT (just go below the file or search for coal and industrial complex)

Now in the OOF file you will see stuff starting with 21003, as you just looked up this is industrial complex.
After that you will see the coord of the hex in map.
Well delete that whole row and delete whole row 21042 (power - coal) with the same coord.
Coal plants in cities are easier since all is together in the file, so just search for the city.

Save, cache, and you removed coal plants. If you want to put them on another spot in the same hex you need to know 1 more thing, but you didnt ask that :P

Oh yeah 1 more thing i use winmerge for most my modding its free and very easy to use.
Thanks bro. Making changes using the old singleplayer->multiplayer->multiplayer->singleplayer leaves a lot to be desired, so I'll see about doing it the proper way and making a alternate copy of the GER36 campaign files . . .

Might have to check out winmerge, but I usually don't have too much trouble with that sort of thing.

What app do you use to open these OOFs? changing the suffix to .csv and then opening with Excel works fine but in my experience that can lead to unintended consequences these days. Excel has too many bells and whistles and tries to be too bossy about file formats . . .

ADDIT: so 21042 is coal plant, I getcha . . . too bad these arrays are not contained within parent arrays for each each nation or something like that. Would make editing them easier. But anyway, I'll just delete all the rows for coal plants that in Chinese villages/towns based on the names . . . see how many that gets rid of, then go back and do some more that are within a small range of x, y hex coordinates if I need to delete more of them.
YoMomma
Brigadier Gen.

Post by YoMomma »

Anthropoid wrote: What app do you use to open these OOFs?
Winmerge, like i said you should check it out. You can load 2 text files next to eachother and see changes. Stuff like that.

Once you get used to the coordinates its even easier, cause you can roughly guess which coordinates are China.
Gameplay 1st
Anthropoid
Colonel

Post by Anthropoid »

Okay will do.

Got China's coal plants reduced from 577 down to about ~60 just by sorting on the facility id number field and deleting rows that corresponded to a Chinese geographic name. That was actually a bit more than I intended to delete, but I'll leave most of the 89 hydros and China should be far less potent.

Might have to look into whether there is a config file that allows the max speed to be upped . . . easier to fast forward test to see the effects of changes.
redindus
Warrant Officer

Post by redindus »

Need to check this out, noticed Japan should have oils around Sapporo and up North on that island split between Russia and Japan. Some facilities just doesn't make any sense and their purpose in some areas.

Also there shouldn't be any oil fields in Korea though.
number47
General

Post by number47 »

redindus wrote:Need to check this out, noticed Japan should have oils around Sapporo and up North on that island split between Russia and Japan. Some facilities just doesn't make any sense and their purpose in some areas.

"Oil" fields ingame represent oil AND/OR gas fields...
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
redindus
Warrant Officer

Post by redindus »

number47 wrote:
redindus wrote:Need to check this out, noticed Japan should have oils around Sapporo and up North on that island split between Russia and Japan. Some facilities just doesn't make any sense and their purpose in some areas.

"Oil" fields ingame represent oil AND/OR gas fields...
I am telling you there shouldn't be any in those locations I mention. At the first part of 1936, Japan wasn't aware of those gas fields or never have been.

Is there a way I can change this myself? Most players or people have no clues what going on out there and I am trying to fix this at accurate resources in the Pacific. After I checked the map through out the Pacific, it was way over done with Oil Fields, etc. Need to be removed.

Also is there a way to keep the citizen from using too much oils and/or gases. Back in WWII Japan had to close it down for military usages. Cause they were lack of it. Japan didn't have much motorized cars and trucks roaming around like USA did.

It is possible that the Japanese didn't have the right tech and tools to find those resources. It wouldn't hurt to have secondary tech to unlock oil, gas or even fossil fuels. At 1936, most were hidden from them. At some points, you will have to dig deeper and even deeper to get to them. Of course it will soon depleted over time. Back then when they got this game running, they even left out Truk, a major Japanese Naval Base there. Still there are way too much oil fields in the Pacific. Borneo look okay, but Vietnam and Siam shouldn't have any, unless it is secondary from tech later on. I know it just a game, but the way it is setup, just unrealistic.

Return to “Modding SRUltimate”