Fundamental Redesign of all Units

This forum has been archived. Please use the new modding forum. If you need to retrieve a thread from here, contact BattleGoat.

Moderators: Balthagor, BattleGoat

greensheen
Corporal
Human: Yes

Fundamental Redesign of all Units

Post by greensheen »

Haven't played this game in a year. The endless unrealistic creation of unit types is silly, and not realistically modeled as to training requirements, available population, and training facilities.

Please, is it possible to mod game to separate the soldiers from their equipment? Each must be "built" separately, and the soldiers must be trained for the appropriate equipment type?

SRU has better mapping than other games and better industrial modeling, but it really fails when it comes to unit production and type of units. It ruins play-ability. OK to research equipment, but produce soldiers according to population factors and properly model the scarcity of labor when population is shifted to the military.

You have to have separate training facilities for the troops, based on troop type and quality of training. Thus para-trooping is a very expensive skill that can only be trained to a certain percentage of able bodied men, not everyone can meet such training requirement.

Then let players design templates for the combination of the troops and particular equipment in a particular Battalion or Regiment/Brigade. You track troop equipment type, experience, training, as well as quantity of equipment in the unit. You compute units "stats" based on number of men, the types of training they have had, the types of experience they have had, and the equipment they are quipped for, their current supply/moral, etc. So a newer/better anti-tank gun for a units equipment will result in better armor penetration power and better tank killing (depending on armor of the tanks in question).

Then build up chain of command units for a complete command structure, the way the better strategic war games do it.

I think you should drastically limit unit icons to something like NATO symbols, and fit all the different equipment types into the different symbol classes. Attack, movement, supply, and other basic values should be indicated on the counter symbols themselves. This way you can quickly see the nature of the force in question. The crazy scramble of endless types of units just ruins everything, kills realism, and leads to confusion on the battle field as to what exactly is going on!

Also please clean up your infrastructure, to properly model the costs, resources and build times to build "railroads" and other types of "streets" (be they dirt trails or supper highways - that matters you know!). Properly model their carry capacity: in WWII rail was cheaper to build and much more efficient for moving supplies/units then the roads of the time. To do better than WWII rail capacity would require very very expensive interstate systems and modern truck fleet technology, as well as the high grade fuel to power them with.

Is it possible by private modification to do all this?
Zuikaku
General

Re: Fundamental Redesign of all Units

Post by Zuikaku »

greensheen wrote: Is it possible by private modification to do all this?
No!
Please teach AI everything!
Favilin
Warrant Officer

Post by Favilin »

This would leave the game much more very good, but unfortunately I think it is not possible (who knows in a near supreme ruler) I would also like to see a system of equipment retention .... Example I Operate 50 Su-30 plus my budget Maintenance is low then only 60% of the fleet, flies would be very good
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

Favilin wrote:This would leave the game much more very good, but unfortunately I think it is not possible (who knows in a near supreme ruler) I would also like to see a system of equipment retention .... Example I Operate 50 Su-30 plus my budget Maintenance is low then only 60% of the fleet, flies would be very good
You've got something similar. It is called "efficiency". Just lower the maintenance costs and watch your squadrons become more and more useless :D
Favilin
Warrant Officer

Post by Favilin »

I know of this zikaku, but I wanted something deeper example that I heard fall of fighters, lack of pieces, fighters on the ground for lack of maintenance understands?
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

Favilin wrote:I know of this zikaku, but I wanted something deeper example that I heard fall of fighters, lack of pieces, fighters on the ground for lack of maintenance understands?
I also want that and many more things, but we got what we got :wink:
and these things are probably out of engine limits.

Return to “Modding SRUltimate”