Graphics Expansion Project

This forum has been archived. Please use the new modding forum. If you need to retrieve a thread from here, contact BattleGoat.

Moderators: Balthagor, BattleGoat

Nerei
General
Human: Yes

Graphics Expansion Project

Post by Nerei »

NOTE1: Currently not compatible with beta patch 9.0.75
NOTE2: Next update will likely not be compatible with current save files etc.

Yes very creative name I know...

This thread is basically a re-release of the original thread made back in January. The original thread so far being repurposed for development work.

First off for now at least this release is basically a modding resource. It will not do anything unless a few adjustments are made.

Also please do not mind this post being slightly messy. I will probably restructure it at some point but for now I would rather focus on something more related to graphics.

Disclaimer and all that:
This package is released as is. It is an alpha and it might get changed along the way etc. I do not take any responsibility for any damage incurred to savegames and/or files on the computer of the user.

All models and textures found in this package is released as "all rights reserved". The exception is that you are free to do anything you want including modifying the content of this package and redistributing said modifications as long as it is solely for usage within the Supreme Ruler game series as long as you give credit. For any other usages please contact me.

Seriously this is just a formality and if you want to redistribute this as part of say a mod that is fine. I mostly add this as I have tried in the past to have people take and redistribute my work as their own without my permission. This way I at least cover my back as well as I can.

Note for any potential future scenario: If there is ever added steam workshop I am not sure Valve's terms of usage are compatible with my release conditions so I would please ask people not to use such a service without my explicit permission

Installation:
First off for windows users I recommend getting a better text editor than what comes standard with it. Notepad++ is a good alternative that is fairly easy to use and it handles large files infinitely better than the crap Microsoft feels is good enough.

First off the basics pack contains the UGBITS and picnums information. This is always needed

Basics - This is always needed

To get this working in game open the picnums.txt and append the text there to the end of the default.picnums found in graphics/meshes folder.
Replace the UGBITS4.png file with the one provided (naturally always make backups)
To get them to show in-game open the default.unit found in Maps/DATA and change the picnum value to one of those found below.
copy all .x and .dds (e.g. UNIT901.x, Ki67_Tx.dds etc.) files into the graphics/meshes folder

Should you want to replace existing graphics with these simply rename the UNITXXX.x and any UNITXXXY.dds to the appropriate number you want to replace (remember to backup the original files). Here XXX represents the meshes picnum ID and Y is the region code. The region code should not be changed and neither should the default texture (K1_tx.dds) as that is referenced by the .x file itself.
You may also want to replace the UGBITS picture in this case in which case it is basically loading the UGBITS file(s) into a program like photoshop and copying it from one place to the other.

As an example to get Yamato changed to work with the Yamato model in this package:
17037, "Yamato", 17, 502, 37, 57......
It would be changed to:
17037, "Yamato", 17, 916, 37, 57......

Once the default.unit have been modified the game needs to be recompiled. For that refer to this page on the wiki:
http://supremeruler.gamepedia.com/Creating_a_Cache

On to the actual release:
More and more appropriate text will probably come with time.

The purpose of this project is to increase the graphical variety offered by the Supreme Ruler games by adding additional models to the game. This includes both models and variant textures for different regions.

The emphasis will at least initially mainly be on Asia and other areas which I personally feel have received too little attention (and I just happen to like them more).
I am very open to suggestions for new models to add. I am by no means an expert input is the best way to ensure things might actually have relevance other than what I find look interesting.
That said making these models despite them generally having a low tris count and using fairly low resolution textures are still quite time-consuming so even good suggestions I agree with might take time to materialise. It might also never happen.
I do however promise to consider all suggestions seriously.

Screenshots from the initial 1.0 Japanese pckage. More hopefully to come

German 1.0 Download

Japanese 1.1 Download

Republic of Korea 1.0 Download

United States 1.0 Download

USSR/Russia 1.0 Download

Note: for now the I only make a separate package if I got something unique for a nation so I have not made anything separate for say the RoC, DPRK, France etc. despite them having texture sets included. Also For now I am sticking with no duplicates so say all Starfighters are in the US package despite there being both German and Japanese texture variants.

The exact scale might need fine-tuning and is controlled by the last value of each line in the default.picnums. If anyone has better values feel free to post them.

Bug reports/Suggestions etc. as are welcome
Last edited by Nerei on Dec 28 2016, edited 8 times in total.
Nerei
General

Re: Graphics Expansion Project

Post by Nerei »

Current picnum codes used in this package and the textures used by said models are:

Code: Select all

870 = F-100 Super Sabre   Textures: F-100_tx.dds / UNIT870F.dds / UNIT870U.dds / UNIT870V.dds
871 = F-104 Starfighter   Textures: F104_tx.dds /UNIT871G.dds / UNIT871H.dds /UNIT871J.dds / UNIT871N.dds / UNIT871U.dds / UNIT871V.dds
874 = B-36 Peacemaker   Textures: B-36_tx.dds / UNIT874U.dds
876 = M-41 Walker Bulldog   Textures: M41_tx.dds / UNIT876G.dds / UNIT876J.dds / UNIT876K.dds / UNIT876U.dds / UNIT876V.dds
884 = T-55   Textures: T55_tx.dds / UNIT884C.dds / UNIT884L.dds / UNIT884Q.dds / UNIT884R.dds / UNIT884Z.dds
886 = T-72   Textures: T72_tx.dds / UNIT886R.dds
888 = Mig-15   Textures: mig-15_tx.dds / UNIT888C.dds / UNIT888L.dds / UNIT888R.dds
892 = Tu-95   Textures: Tu95_tx.dds / UNIT892R.dds
893 = Leopard 2A6   Textures: Le2_tx.dds / UNIT893G.dds
997 = Ta-400   Textures: ta400_tx.dds / UNIT897G.dds
901 = akagi     Textures: AkagiTx.dds / UNIT901.dds
902 = Akizuki     Textures: Akizu_Tx.dds
903 = Fubuki     Textures: Fubuk_Tx.dds
904 = Fuso     Textures: Fuso_Tx.dds
905 = Hiryu     Textures: Hiryu_Tx.dds / UNIT905.dds
906 = I-15 Otsu gata     Textures: I-15_Tx.dds
907 = I-201 Sentaka     Textures: I-201_Tx.dds
908 = Kaga     Textures: Kaga_Tx.dds / UNIT908.dds
909 = kongo     Textures: Kongo_Tx.dds
910 = Minekaze     Textures: Minek_Tx.dds
911 = sendai     Textures: Senda_Tx.dds
912 = shimakaze     Textures: Shima_Tx.dds
913 = shokaku     Textures: Shoka_Tx.dds
914 = taiho     Textures: Taiho_Tx.dds
915 = type A     Textures: TypeA_Tx.dds
916 = Yamato     Textures: Yamat_Tx.dds
917 = A7M Reppu     Textures: A7M_Tx.dds / UNIT917.dds
918 = B7A2 Ryusei     Textures: B7A2_Tx.dds / UNIT918.dds
919 = E16A Zuiun     Textures: E16A_Tx.dds / UNIT919.dds
920 = G3M Rikku     Textures: G3M_Tx.dds / UNIT920.dds
921 = G4M Hamaki     Textures: G4M_Tx.dds / UNIT921.dds
922 = J2M Raiden     Textures: J2M_Tx.dds / UNIT922.dds
923 = KI-10     Textures: Ki10_Tx.dds / UNIT923.dds
924 = KI-201 Karyu     Textures: Karyu_Tx.dds / UNIT924.dds
925 = KI-67 Hiryu     Textures: Ki67_Tx.dds / UNIT925.dds
930 = G10N1 Fugaki Textures: G10N1_tx.dds / UNIT930J.dds
950 = K1A1   Textures: K1_tx.dds / UNIT950K.dds
Last edited by Nerei on Sep 06 2016, edited 1 time in total.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Reserved.
Because I do not know how much space I might need
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Also Reserved.
I'd rather have too much space than too little ;-).
scougys
Warrant Officer

Post by scougys »

thank you so much, nerei!!

:-) :-)
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Just a quick note next update might be a few weeks away (any potential needed fixes excluded naturally). I generally like to post larger updates and I want to work out. Next update will probably feature JSDF units, the ROK material I have, some USSR stuff and maybe a few western warships.

Also I plan on releasing them in different packages so if you only want say the ROK items but could not care less about say USSR or Japan you do not need to go through all the files and manually remove them.
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

Erm... did you set encryption for the MACOSX sub-folder?

About the new UGBITS. They seem kinda big by comparison to the vanilla ones. Is this by design? Also, I think a bit more light would make them clearer. Just a thought...
Also I plan on releasing them in different packages so if you only want say the ROK items but could not care less about say USSR or Japan you do not need to go through all the files and manually remove them.
That`s indeed a good idea. Thank you for making this project!
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

MK4 wrote:Erm... did you set encryption for the MACOSX sub-folder?

About the new UGBITS. They seem kinda big by comparison to the vanilla ones. Is this by design? Also, I think a bit more light would make them clearer. Just a thought...
The __MACOSX folder should just be leftover from me zipping the files on a OS X machine (my graphics workstation is a mac I only use windows for games). Just ignore it I will re-zip on my windows machine.

I actually did brighten the UGBITS already but more is probably not a bad idea and I can scale them down a bit sure

edit: okay did reduce some pictures a bit in size (particularly some like the J2M and Ki-10) an brightened all of them somewhat. Also there should be no more OS X files left ;-)
Let me know if it needs to be changed further.
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

edit: okay did reduce some pictures a bit in size (particularly some like the J2M and Ki-10) an brightened all of them somewhat. Also there should be no more OS X files left ;-)
Emm... I think you`ve packed the same files again (or alternatively, haven`t changed the link yet :) ). Mac is still there and I see no change in the UGBITS. Anyway, I only mentioned the encryption stuff to save you from future hustle (because Windows, naturally, thinks it has to do something about the encryption and spuns into action).
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

MK4 wrote:
Emm... I think you`ve packed the same files again (or alternatively, haven`t changed the link yet :) ). Mac is still there and I see no change in the UGBITS. Anyway, I only mentioned the encryption stuff to save you from future hustle (because Windows, naturally, thinks it has to do something about the encryption and spuns into action).
Sorry about that. Apparently dropbox keeps persistent links to files even if I place something different in the same location. Kinda good I guess jut not in this case. The link in the first post should be updated now
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

Thank you! It`s all fine now. In my opinion the new version of the UGBITS is a clear improvement.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

New units added to the download:

T-55, T-72, Mig-15 and Tu-95 can be found in the USSR package
Leopard 2A6 and Focke-Wulf Ta400 can be found in the German package
M-41 Walker Bulldog, F-100 Super Sabre, F-104 Starfighter, B-36 Peacemaker and USS Forrestal can be found in the US package.
The K1A1 is so far the only item in the RoK package.
G10N1 Fugaki has been added to original package now renamed "Japanese".

As always bugs reports, suggestions etc are welcome.
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

Thank you!
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

Nerei wrote:New units added to the download:

T-55, T-72, Mig-15 and Tu-95 can be found in the USSR package
Leopard 2A6 and Focke-Wulf Ta400 can be found in the German package
M-41 Walker Bulldog, F-100 Super Sabre, F-104 Starfighter, B-36 Peacemaker and USS Forrestal can be found in the US package.
The K1A1 is so far the only item in the RoK package.
G10N1 Fugaki has been added to original package now renamed "Japanese".

As always bugs reports, suggestions etc are welcome.
feel welcome to include my various infantry camo remodels/textures or any of my other unit graphics from the modern world mod in this package if you wish. Just toss me a byline of credit if you do.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Okay, thanks. ( ^_^ )

Also next release will require quite a bit of work and thus will not be ready anytime soon. I might release a few individual pieces not part of the JSDF before that as they are done though.

Return to “Modding SRUltimate”