Merchant Marine

This forum has been archived. Please use the new modding forum. If you need to retrieve a thread from here, contact BattleGoat.

Moderators: Balthagor, BattleGoat

tilen24
Sergeant
Human: Yes

Merchant Marine

Post by tilen24 »

Could it be done that resources would be sold like units?
So if like you would sell 3000t of iron to a country it would spawn a merch ship that goes to the destined country.
Since there is like a buy from and sell to a market.. that could also be used as a offer to and order commands..
so a country like Russia is offering x ammount of oil and like France would be ordering x ammount of it...
so a merch marine or sevral units would be spawned in maybe St. Petersburg and went to i dunno... Brest?
when they arrive to the country they would automatically get the order to disband... so the merchant marine unit
could be made out of those resources so the scrap option gives them the resources back... and the market could stay
as it currently is.. and also a treaty as embargo could be made on that like a reverse mutual defense treaty but i dont know about that.
JollyGoodBork
Captain

Re: Merchant Marine

Post by JollyGoodBork »

This is something that the original game should do.

But I guess the poor diplomacy and military AI are larger problems, so they should fokus on that. But still... why are resources teleported from China to Germany in one day? Even if Germany is surrounded by enemies! Wtf!

There should at least be a time delay...
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

This would be a massive change to the system. It was considered at one time, there are notes on what it would look like. It's extremely complicated. Not the level of detail we designed the game to represent.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
JollyGoodBork
Captain

Post by JollyGoodBork »

Balthagor wrote:This would be a massive change to the system. It was considered at one time, there are notes on what it would look like. It's extremely complicated. Not the level of detail we designed the game to represent.
I think it could be done quite simply, really.
It can have many varying degrees if difficulity. Depending on what you want.
If you're okay with just a time delay:
Either you (the player) choose transport vehicles, or the computer does it. Then either the computer or you simply find a path between the countries, as it would with regular units.
Then you have to wait the simulated time taken for the resources to travel that distance. You could also pay a small sum for the transport (cuz transport vehicles need fuel, and people steering them). You could also pay for every country that you pass through, unless you two have a free trade agreement.

And if you want to make things even more complicated, you could have a unit represent the transport. If the transport is in the air and is destroyed by an army, you loose what it was carrying. If it is in water, you'll loose it too.
However, if it is lost while on land, you do not only loose your stuff, but yout enemy might gain it instead.

So, you could have only a time delay, a time delay and transport/tariff costs, or you could have a unit that is destroyable.
I would be fine with the time delay. I'd like me some transport costs too, but that's certainly nothing I need.
Destroying transports would be truly amazing (and realistic!), but probably impossible given the complexity of that.

But as I said, I'd rather have you guys work on diplomacy, military, and AI in general (especially regarding those two aspects of the game)

Could you check out my thread about snow/similar?
Please?
YoMomma
Brigadier Gen.

Post by YoMomma »

How about fixing naval pathing first so they actually reach their destination? :roll:
Gameplay 1st
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

JollyGoodBork wrote:I think it could be done quite simply, really.
Trust me, I worked with the engine for 13 years, it's not that simple.

I saw your snow visibility thread. I'm not in studio these days so I can't help with that one.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
JollyGoodBork
Captain

Post by JollyGoodBork »

Balthagor wrote:
JollyGoodBork wrote:I think it could be done quite simply, really.
Trust me, I worked with the engine for 13 years, it's not that simple.

I saw your snow visibility thread. I'm not in studio these days so I can't help with that one.
Is... is there... anyone on the studio? Can't George or someone have a look at it?

Also, I've never seen a game that has this many ptoblems with it's own engine before.
Leading devs to confronting year old bugs with a simple "we can't fix it".
It's kinda sad really.
georgios
Brigadier Gen.

Post by georgios »

And who will receive the transportation fees?

Return to “Modding SRUltimate”