3D modelling

Post mods you have finished or are working on here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Nerei
General
Human: Yes

Re: 3D modelling

Post by Nerei »

I already have both a Russian Mi-28 and French Mirage 2000C regional texture sets without markings made for the UGBITS pictures. Also with regards to the UGBITS I have pretty much all I have ever made saved so that is not issue. I will include in a separate zip or something.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

AH-1Z Viper. I should hopefully be able to complete it and have everything converted before Monday.
Currently planned regional variants are IJKUVZ.

I am also doing conversions but I need my desktop computer for that and when I am not near it I might as well do something else.
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Man, your work is great!!! Can't thank you enough for the amount of time you are putting into this project...kudos!
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

number47 wrote:Man, your work is great!!! Can't thank you enough for the amount of time you are putting into this project...kudos!
Is this going to be implemented during the next official BG update?
Please teach AI everything!
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

Nerei wrote:AH-1Z Viper. I should hopefully be able to complete it and have everything converted before Monday.
That is awesome! I really wanted a SuperCobra for a long time, but since you`ve went the way of the legacy version I thought to let it be. Thanks for making it now!
Will any of those variants be done in a grey similar to what the USMC is using?

Btw, what regional texture is that second from the rear in your previous Cobra line render?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Zuikaku wrote:
number47 wrote:Man, your work is great!!! Can't thank you enough for the amount of time you are putting into this project...kudos!
We're working on more if it, but I think Nerei will remain ahead of us for some time. Not only is it great quality but he turns out an impressive volume...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

Balthagor wrote:
Zuikaku wrote:
We're working on more if it, but I think Nerei will remain ahead of us for some time. Not only is it great quality but he turns out an impressive volume...
One other question: if regional skins are available, does the engine automatically uses the right one do is it some tuning required somewhere?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

The engine supports regional skins by region code. UNIT123.X could have base texture U123tx.dds and then have UNIT123G.dds and UNIT123M.dds for override textures for each of Germany and UK. It's tougher if you try and use something like "N" since it means Canada and Australia will always get the same override.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Actually as I will probably be somewhat less productive for the next few months you might have a chance to play catch up. You can probably also outsource part of it to the community. I am sure there are people who will give suggestions if asked.
Balthagor wrote:The engine supports regional skins by region code. UNIT123.X could have base texture U123tx.dds and then have UNIT123G.dds and UNIT123M.dds for override textures for each of Germany and UK. It's tougher if you try and use something like "N" since it means Canada and Australia will always get the same override.
One thing I found with region group texture sets is that it is technically not assigned based on the mesh ID but the picnum ID.
Using mr Latours example if you use ID 234 in default.picnums to call mesh ID 123 it will not use say UNIT123G.dds but UNIT234G.dds if that exists. If not no regional texture set will be used.

Also I will say region group E and B are worse as they allow say Turkish aircraft to use Greek roundels or Brazilian aircraft to use Argentinian roundels.
In general I try to avoid these groups and with groups such as Z where a green vehicle stands out I tend to go with fairly generic markings on a fairly generic desert camouflage pattern.
MK4 wrote:
Will any of those variants be done in a grey similar to what the USMC is using?
No still not shown versions will be shades of green, desert camouflage or Japanese 3 tone. The US one I have already posted a render of.
Still missing is Z and generic
There is however nothing to prevent the default texture being grey. Possibly an adaptation of the US regional texture. Colour swapping, removing national markings and adding generic numbers instead is quite easy.
MK4 wrote:Btw, what regional texture is that second from the rear in your previous Cobra line render?
The 2nd to last AH-1 Cobra is region group Z. Basically it is an unmarked Jordanian AH-1F. The AH-1Z region group Z texture might end up resembling it as finding decent pictures of the Pakistani AH-1Z is tricky and Iranian AH-1J is too close to the Israeli regional texture.
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

Balthagor wrote:The engine supports regional skins by region code. UNIT123.X could have base texture U123tx.dds and then have UNIT123G.dds and UNIT123M.dds for override textures for each of Germany and UK. It's tougher if you try and use something like "N" since it means Canada and Australia will always get the same override.
I have noticed some unused unit textures in the folder with regional extensions. I have hoped they work this way but seems to me many of these textures are still not assigned in unit database.
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

Nerei wrote: No still not shown versions will be shades of green, desert camouflage or Japanese 3 tone. The US one I have already posted a render of.

Still missing is Z and generic
There is however nothing to prevent the default texture being grey. Possibly an adaptation of the US regional texture. Colour swapping, removing national markings and adding generic numbers instead is quite easy.
Well, yes, my point was rather that since the generic legacy Cobra uses a green(ish) texture it would make the generic SuperCobra more easily distinguishable if it were to have the light ghost grey-medium grey USMC scheme. It`s also the most immediately recognizable scheme for the SuperCobra I think. Certainly for the Viper.
https://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/a ... le04.shtml
http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA-Mari ... ba9y8Hzi48
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

What I meant is that for nations like the ROK, ROC, Israel and Japan I am trying to mimic the typical patterns used on helicopters. I picked a more colourful US as most of the others are fairly drab. I am actually considering making a 2013 Kisarazu set for the JGSDF AH-1 just for the fun of it. I suspect most people probably not want to use it. Then again you never know and if games like World of Warships is any indication there might be an audience for it.

The default version should be more akin to the default Marine corps paintjob for the AH-1Z
I might still do a few colour adjustments. I can also make a US version with more typical colours if anyone want that. It should not too much work as it again is largely colour swaps and smaller adjustments.
It might be a few days as I am doing the last set of testing of the already completed models and textures. Unless something is completely wrong it should be ready sometime Sunday (UT)
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Here is the first take on the December turned January release.
There might still be bugs and the missiles in particular is not thoroughly tested but hopefully they all work. Scales are also just roughly right.

Code: Select all

AH-64D (ID 1648) Regional textures IKUV added, default and J updated.
AH-1S (ID1649) Regional textures IKUVZ added, default and J updated, mesh updated.
Hayabusa class FAC (ID 1681) added
M1 Abrams (ID 1736) added, Regional textures UZ.
M41 Walker Bulldog (ID 1738), regional texture Z added.
M48A2 Patton (ID 1739) added, Regional textured GIKUVZ
M1A2 TUSK II Abrams (ID 1741), mesh and textures updated, regional texture Z added.
T-72B (ID 1769) added, regional textures CQRXZ
CV9040B (ID 1771) added
CV9040 AAV (ID 1772) added
T-90A (ID 1773) added, regional textures: QRXZ
Cheng Kung class frigate (ID 1795) added
Midway class aircraft carrier (ID 1802) added
Ohio class SSBN (ID 1810) mesh updated
Virginia class SSN (ID 1812) mesh updated
Seawolf class SSN (ID 1813) mesh updated
688i (USS Cheyenne) class SSN (ID 1814) mesh updated
Skipjack class SSN (ID 1815) mesh updated
Astute class SSN (ID 1816) mesh updated
Strike cruiser concept (ID 1826) added
San Antonio Class LPD (ID 1828) added
Type 214/Son Won-Il class submarine (ID 1829) added
Mi-28 added (ID 1850), regional textures R
Mirage 2000C (ID 1874) added, regional textures FQVZ
AW/EH/MCH-101 added (ID 1875), regional textures JM
AH-1Z Viper (ID 1876) added, regional textures IJKUVZ
Polikarpov I-15 (ID 1900) added, regional textures RV
mk17 nuclear bomb (ID 1987) added
mk8 nuclear bomb (ID 1988) added
mk7 nuclear bomb (ID 1989) added
mk3 nuclear bomb (ID 1990) added
mk1 nuclear bomb (ID 1991) added
GBU43 MOAB (ID 1992) added
AGM84 Harpoon (ID 1993) added
SSM1B anti-ship missile (ID 1994) added
ASM2 anti-ship missile (ID 1995) added
ASM3 anti-ship missile (ID 1996) added
Download

optional textures download
Raw UGBITS download
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

With the last batch of models done lets look to the future (assuming none of it is broken which lets face it is not entirely unlikely).

The next few months will not be too productive for a few reasons. For starters I will also be messing around with some other 3D models and also I want to take it easy with this project. The alternative is that I risk burning out on it and usually when that happens I drop things for quite a long period of time, years potentially.

That said I do plan to clear up some of the already in-progress models as well as make more regional textures and a few conversions. Russian/Soviet navy, US Navy (including a few aircraft) and the PLA will probably feature several models. There are naturally also other models including some ROK equipment but those have several that are fairly far along.
As an example this is the PLAN Liaoning. Probably also usable as the Admiral Kuznetsov (no regional versions due to the way I make the textures).
I am also considering going back to the 3 suggested models with the usual setup except there is no set release date.
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

Thank you for the latest release! It`s quite a significant batch of units and well worth waiting for.

I intend to test them in game and will suggest some new scale values where might be appropriate, but this is probably going to take a while. In the meantime, I`ve updated the list with all your units released so far:
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 98#p180898

Btw, 1736 is meant to be the M1A1 Abrams, right?
Nerei wrote: That said I do plan to clear up some of the already in-progress models as well as make more regional textures and a few conversions.
Perhaps you could finish the wip Tu-22M3 which this occasion.

Return to “Modding Show & Tell”