3D modelling

Post mods you have finished or are working on here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Nerei
General
Human: Yes

Re: 3D modelling

Post by Nerei »

1736 is not specifically intended to be an M1A1 but it can probably serve just fine as one. If we ignore the Royal Ordnance L7 105mm and other small details it can probably be an original M1 too. The M1A2 in say Saudi or Kuwaiti service should also be more accurately represented by this than The 1741 TUSK II (as would US M1A2 without the TUSK kit). The main ones where it will not fit better than 1741 is really the TUSK II equipped US vehicles. The Australian vehicles are kinda an odd situation though as they regularly carry ERA but more akin to the TUSK I than TUSK II.

Removing the turret and replacing the side mounted ERA on the TUSK II with square ERA could probably produce a TUSK I Abrams. This is not an amazingly high priority though as from what I remember the Australian M1A1 are just represented as regular vehicle designs and for the US differentiating between the TUSK I and TUSK II is probably not necessary and I am fairly sure the game does not either. Likewise giving it an L7 105mm is probably not worth it.

There are probably also more important models which yes could be the Tu-22M3 another could be an old ZTZ-99 I have had on hold for maybe 1-1½ year. It will probably need a good overhaul though and it was far from complete in the first place. I actually have a decent number of PRC vehicles in some state of UV mapping or early texturing but like the ZTZ-99 they are not something that can be finished off in an hour or two.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Okay Tu-22M3 is next (or close to at least I also got Ulyanovsk, 1991 Missouri and a Type 45 destroyer to work on). No renderings yet.

Also I was considering doing an YB-60. Not that it is a particularly important American aircraft but it is not a B-47 or 52 nor is it a Tu-95 or 16 and it might make a decent fictive early cold war jet powered German, Italian, Japanese and maybe French Strategic bomber if given some fictive regional textures.
Basically it would be visually more distinct than painting say the Tu-16 with a balkenkreuz or Hinomaru.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

The Tu-22M3 is more or less done. As always I might still tweak it but this is more or less how it will be.
It also includes fictive C and Q regional texture sets as India was at one point going to lease some of these aircraft and I think there have been rumours about the PRC buying these aircraft or manufacturing a version locally for some time.
The PRC version is based on the H-6 (a locally manufactured copy of the Tu-16G) and the Indian version is based on aircraft such as the P-8I and Il-38 in service with the Indian navy air arm. The default one is just the Russian version without any markings.
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

That was fast! Thank you! :-)

Out of curiosity, do you have a list of what you`d like to make (in the long, but foreseeable future) for PRC?
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

I do not have a definitive list of PRC models no. Initially I will have to look at the older models and decide if they are worth finishing or it will be better building a new model.

Also the Tu-22M3 is an aircraft which makes it easy and it was fairly far along already. The texturing is also quite simple compared to say a tank or warship.

edit: chances are a a ZTZ-99A2 and a PLZ-05 and/or ZBL-08 might be among them but especially the PLZ and ZBL are uncertain.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

I have been experimenting a bit with digital camouflage for the ZTZ-99A2. Also I might use a different colour palette for the PRC digital camouflage compared to regular.
No there is basically no details added other than that except some very simple colouring.
Digital camouflage does take longer to make than regular but it does add variation and having vehicles like the ZTZ-99A2 in anything else would be wrong to me.
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

I logged in to say that looks awesome! It will definitely rejuvenate that area of the map, together with the new colorful Japanese units. Sure, they`ll probably get stuck twitching in the Mongolian desert for lack of fuel, but at least they`ll be a pleasure to look at.
Digital camouflage does take longer to make than regular but it does add variation and having vehicles like the ZTZ-99A2 in anything else would be wrong to me.
Besides, when not zoomed in what the player perceives is more the camouflage and general shape and with an increasing number of tanks that don`t look that different from afar this will help with the diversity, including in the functional sense.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Well to be fair chances are they might end up stucks somewhere in the Himalayas or Siberia ^_-

Also there might be a Trophy equipped Merkava IV at some point (no renderings yet). Converting it into a Namer should also be fairly easy as large parts should be reusable. I am also considering making models that are not military hardware just to make something that is not tanks or bombers. I might have some renderings of this at some point.

There might be more issues with creating models though and not only due to Capcom releasing a monster hunter game but also due to issues with with my laptop as it appears there is a lose connection causing flickering on the screen. It is not critical and I can get it to work fine for hours but I would like to get it fixed under warranty as it might completely break at some point which could in theory be expensive.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

And The Merkava IVm. This one has actually been underway for some months.
Still a good deal of work left on it. It is made so stripping the trophy APS is very easy in case anyone wants a version without it. It could probably also be installed on other vehicles assuming they have the space on their UV maps
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Great job!
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
YaYo7
Lieutenant

Post by YaYo7 »

Help is needed?
why after export model to a file .x , the turret rotates through a pivot 1 in game?
but properly should be on pivot 2.
In SR:U original models work correctly (such as a unit212.x smerch). This problem I have with all my models :-( :-(
sorry for my bad english..
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Not all the models work correctly. If you look at some of the APC's they have turrets revolving around a point offset from the turret. If some vehicles work and some do not chances are there is a flag that controls this or it is based on the names of the individual mesh elements. I have honestly not bothered looking much into it as it is not something that is very important to me.

My best suggestion is to try and copy an entry in default.picnums that works (e.g. 212 as you said that is okay) and use that as base for your model. Also possibly look at the names of the individual parts of mesh 212. I would do it but I currently do not have a copy of SR:U available.
YaYo7
Lieutenant

Post by YaYo7 »

Nerei wrote:Not all the models work correctly. If you look at some of the APC's they have turrets revolving around a point offset from the turret. If some vehicles work and some do not chances are there is a flag that controls this or it is based on the names of the individual mesh elements. I have honestly not bothered looking much into it as it is not something that is very important to me.

My best suggestion is to try and copy an entry in default.picnums that works (e.g. 212 as you said that is okay) and use that as base for your model. Also possibly look at the names of the individual parts of mesh 212. I would do it but I currently do not have a copy of SR:U available.
I think the problem is in the game itself. All turrets in models rotate around the central pivot point(0,0,0). (on the example of my pic. is pivot 1). this feature also for all original game models to!!! I wrote that in unit212.x everything is OK, but in fact there is no!

This question should be asked the game developers 8)
YaYo7
Lieutenant

Post by YaYo7 »

example 1

example 2
russ1000
Brigadier Gen.

Post by russ1000 »

Hello, can I participate in your dialogue with YaYo7?

Return to “Modding Show & Tell”