3D modelling

Post mods you have finished or are working on here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

MK4
Colonel
Human: Yes

Re: 3D modelling

Post by MK4 »

Ok, so if I got it straight, you made and will continue to make the renders for the UGBITS so if I ask you (please!) to also post them here prior to them being edited to conform to the new BG style I won`t be asking you to do any extra work (other then posting them), correct? I was just trying to find a sustainable way to have a consistent image style for your future releases. The alternative I was considering was to ask Balthagor for the 1 to 4 UGBITS in the new style which would have required him to be a very cool guy and businessman. :-)
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Putting up the raw image files used in the UGBITS files is extremely easy. Sharing it as a folder means I can basically just drop the imags into it and it should be available.
Like this:
download link
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

Thank you very much! When you scale these down do you brighten and sharpen them?
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

I tend to find that bicubic sharpen rescaling is good enough that I do not need to actually sharpen the image further. Other than that I really just use a brightness/contrast function and compare it to existing pictures.

Also I am going with the wheeled SA-2 trailer to make it appear more mobile (wheels stolen/modified from the Komatsu LAV) and the Cougar will be a 6X6 as it will make it contrast more with the Oshkosh L-ATV that I hope to eventually have made for the US (again the Komatsu LAV will happily donate some wheels).
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

Nerei wrote:I tend to find that bicubic sharpen rescaling is good enough that I do not need to actually sharpen the image further. Other than that I really just use a brightness/contrast function and compare it to existing pictures.
Thank you!

When you have some time would it be possible to release a French Rafale texture without the French national markings (roundel and "Marine")?
Also I am going with the wheeled SA-2 trailer to make it appear more mobile (wheels stolen/modified from the Komatsu LAV)
But will that mean the missile is not aimed (i.e. it will be horizontally laid behind the truck cabin)?
and the Cougar will be a 6X6 as it will make it contrast more with the Oshkosh L-ATV that I hope to eventually have made for the US (again the Komatsu LAV will happily donate some wheels).
Good choice.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Calling it a trailer is not entirely accurate. It would be more correct to say it is the launcher with transport equipment attached.
Basically this unit.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/divemaste ... otostream/
The base is simplified to keep the tris count down
Also I am still considering tearing the launcher apart once completed and installing it on a T-55 chassis. It should be fairly easy to do.
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Let's say I made a clean install of a new insider build 9.1.22, and I want to add all meshes you've made so far. What would I have to download? Is there a "group" link of all meshes or do I have to go through this thread and download all links you provided separately? I'm asking cause I don't know which links are obsolete (ID numbers range changes)...
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

All but this one (the early July release) should be in the insider build. They might not appear in sandboxes/campaigns/scenarios though but they should be there.
I plan to give it a few days to see if any serious errors appear then send it to BG also.
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

Nerei wrote:Calling it a trailer is not entirely accurate. It would be more correct to say it is the launcher with transport equipment attached.
Basically this unit.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/divemaste ... otostream/
Ok, I see what you meant. In game terms that`s probably better than what I was proposing. I`d be happy to see that done.
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

By comparison to the vanilla F-15 I think your F-15C (and by implication the F-15E) needs to be scaled up to 0.068
The Japanese F-2 and F-3 fighters should be scaled down to 0.066

Also, I`m not sure if it`s evident from the following shots, but the altitude of the F-15C is considerably higher than that of vanilla F-15 and F-16 and also than your new Rafale (EDIT: and the F-2 and F-3). I`m not sure if this is intentional. Note that I am testing these in SR2020.

And a further note: I love how the F-15C turned out and I`m very enthusiastic about all these new units! :-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by MK4 on Jul 05 2017, edited 1 time in total.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

I do not think there is any changes between 2020 and Ultimate when it comes to the altitude of the aircrafts. It is still fairly low. It is far more likely that I did not check properly
That is to say it is not intentional for the F-15 to be that much higher up than the others. I will take a look at it. The good thing is that scales should not change anymore as I will be exporting from the same source scene as before. I will get it and the scales corrected for next update.

In the meantime here is a Rafale with no markings
download
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

Thank you! :-)

I`ve made some adjustments to the following units to the values listed bellow (by comparison to the vanilla AH-64):
Eurocopter Tiger - 0.058
OH-1 - 0.065

Also, I`ve checked the following tanks and imo they`re fine as you have them:
M1A2 Tusk II
K1A1
K2 Black Panther
Last edited by MK4 on Jul 05 2017, edited 2 times in total.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Sorry still no updated F-15 but I can offer a render of an early version of the SA-2 and a slightly further along Chengdu J-20.
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

You know, there`s something a bit comical about the SA-2 in that stage and on those wheels as it sorta resembles one of those wood toys of long ago. You`d almost expect a toddler to come by and tow it away. :D

Great to see the J-20! It`is one of those units long overdue in this game. Perhaps at some point we could have a PAK FA too.

Have you thought about the camo for the Cougar? Somehow it feels wrong not to have a desert camo texture.

As far as scale goes I hit a bit of a roadblock. Obviously we can`t have one consistent scale throughout because either some units would be big as countries or others would be hard to see. On the other hand it`s somewhat disconcerting to see how the vanilla C-130 compares to the vanilla MiG-21 and F-16. I was gonna use the C-130 as a guide for the A400M and now I find it looking silly in the overall picture. I don`t know why I haven`t noticed (been bothered by) this before.

Anyway, I`ll leave the A400M as it is for now. I should probably compare it to the C-17 too at some point.

I think the Rafale could be a bit smaller: 0.09
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Textures does make a difference. Those wheels are actually identical to those found on say the Komatsu LAV or Type 73.

I am actually fairly sure I also used the C-130 as a rough reference for the size oft he A400 but yes accurate scale is not possible. I think the best thing to aim for is what feels right. It can also be used to distinguish heavy and light transport aircraft I guess.

With regards to camouflage for the Cougar I cannot say I have given it much thought. I will make a basic green version for consistency but as long as it is just that one tone beige I see no problem in making that also.

As for the Sukhoi PAK FA I cannot say when it might happen I got a fairly long list of units in some state of completion. You can also make it a suggestion for next month.

Return to “Modding Show & Tell”