3D modelling

Post mods you have finished or are working on here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Nerei
General
Human: Yes

Re: 3D modelling

Post by Nerei »

Well I do have a bathroom and kitchen that needs a good bit of cleaning.
Seriously especially if I decide to release something in a beta state just testing it helps. Throw it into combat and see if the turret of tanks behaves like they should. Are there any noticeable holes in the models (I sometimes remove polygons that should not be visible) or are there texture glitches. If the scale feels wrong make a note of it (I have already changed the scale for the leopard 2 and Mig 15 as per mk4s suggestion).

Other than that there is not much really. By the time I post pictures I usually have all the reference material etc that I need. Unfortunately it is just very time consuming making these models.
nick-bang
Colonel
Location: A dark and ominous room - only illuminated by the eerie light of a computerscreen

Post by nick-bang »

Nerei wrote:Well I do have a bathroom and kitchen that needs a good bit of cleaning.
Seriously especially if I decide to release something in a beta state just testing it helps. Throw it into combat and see if the turret of tanks behaves like they should. Are there any noticeable holes in the models (I sometimes remove polygons that should not be visible) or are there texture glitches. If the scale feels wrong make a note of it (I have already changed the scale for the leopard 2 and Mig 15 as per mk4s suggestion).

Other than that there is not much really. By the time I post pictures I usually have all the reference material etc that I need. Unfortunately it is just very time consuming making these models.
But are you interested in conflicting data on the models or only graphical issues ?
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Really if there is something you feel is worth mentioning feel free to mention it. I cannot guarantee I might make corrections but I will consider it. Ultimately it comes down to how much time the correction will take.

A few things are on purpose though despite being historically inaccurate like the M1A2 TUSK II being in MERDC. I tend to like armoured vehicles of a nationality sharing camouflage pattern though I will probably make an exception with world war 2 vehicles (e.g. no M4 Sherman in MERDC).
I can make alternate colouration though if there is demand for it. Especially in the case of the M1A2 as I would likely just give it some shade of beige.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Here is the first test compilation of units. Currently it is pretty much just the Russian units and M1A2 TUSK II along with the old material.
Note: This release has not been thoroughly tested and there might be bugs. Some of the textures are placeholders. Several of those that are not are still to be considered work in progress. Placeholders are a deep red colour (7F0000).
While unlikely the ID's might change in the future.
The UGBITS16 is identical to the one I use for testing so it has entries not included in the package.
download
Note2: Unlike full releases found in the release thread the models found in these test releases due to their incomplete nature amongst others are as a rule not to be reposted elsewhere.

The full list of models and their current ID is:

Code: Select all

3840	Akagi
3841	Akizuki
3842	Fubuki
3843	Fuso
3844	Hiryu
3845	I-15 Otsu gata
3846	I-201 Sentaka
3847	Kaga
3848	Kongo
3849	Minekaze
3850	Sendai
3851	Shimakaze
3852	Shokaku
3853	Taiho
3854	Type A
3855	Yamato
3889	Ki-10
3898	Ki-67 Hiryu
3901	Ki-201 Karyu
3907	A7M Reppu
3909	J2M Raiden
3914	B7A Ryusei
3916	E16A Zuiun
3920	G3M Rikku
3921	G4M Hamaki
3924	G10N1 Fugaki
3990	S-300
3991	T-55
3993	T-72
3996	Mig-15
3999	Tu-95
4000	A-50
4001	Il-76
4003	Kirov - default texture "kirov.dds" is a placeholder.
4007	KA-27 - default texture "ka27.dds" is a placeholder.
4008	Delta III
4058	USS Forrestal
4064	F-100
4065	F-104 Starfighter
4067	B-36 Peacemaker
4077	M41 Walker Bulldog
4080	M1A2 Tusk II Abrams
4081	K1A1
4089	Leopard 2A6
4093	FW-ta 400
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Some more experimenting with adding models to the game.
So far I have mainly been working on the JMSDF and some aircraft. Except for a few models this should cover what I have planned for the JMSDF. The textures are naturally incomplete but given the UV mapping is done I can just override the existing textures with updated versions. Yes there are some repeats. In total there should be around 11unique models.
The Aircraft are missing their default textures although I am considering turning the current US texture for the B-58 into the generic one and making a new US texture.
Also just for the fun of it here is a checkered borg cube. Either that or it is a test object intended to try out how well the game handles larger textures.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Gerald R. Ford is coming along. Still some things to do but as a whole I am fairly happy with how it is turning out. This one like most ships will not have region specific textures

The superstructure has been mostly reconstructed. This adds to the tris count but so far still being below 1200 I think that is okay. It might increase a bit if I find more details to add. I hope to finish it and some of the other incomplete US warships within reasonable time. That and finishing up some additional units I have had in a half finished state for some time will hopefully be the next update.
The box above was made to as a test for this vessel amongst others as it is going to be using a large, shared texture map. With this system I can say take the RAM launchers or CIWS from this ship and put them on another without any work required and while this ship is not ideal for it I can also recycle parts of the texture without any real work required.

If anyone got suggestions for aircraft to go with cold war and current US aircraft carriers and squadrons they might belong to feel free to suggest some (Jolly rogers excluded as I have already used them).
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

How developed is your Mitsubishi F-2? I really like how it looks in that Japanese camo and I was thinking you could make the generic texture simply by removing the Japanese markings. It`s not very likely that the Japanese designs would be used by someone else in game and, as the player, I think I`d like that original feel about them instead of a grey texture for example. Would also match better the UGBITS image.

Btw, if you actually have a psd with all the layers and the German markings on the Leopard 2A6 are just something that can be easily deleted, could you please post a texture of it with the German camouflage, but without the Bundeswehr cross?
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

I have done a bit with creating a generic texture for the F-2 but not much. Most of my Focus have been on the US Navy and JGSDF.

Removing the Hinomaru is about 20 seconds of work so that is no problem. Colours, markings etc are all controlled by separate layers in photoshop so in general removing parts of the model texture or making simple colour-changes is very easy. That is one of the improvements I have made over early models like the JGSDF tanks where it can be 30-45 minutes or more to do that.
I am fine with doing it like this. It means less work and the plane will be more distinct than with it just being another grey one. There will probably be plenty of grey planes anyway.
I can also do the same with the F-3.

I still have to decide if I want to go with the blue paint scheme for the F-4EJ (that will also end up playing a US Phantom for the US carriers). I might go with blue for consistency and besides I like how this one looks.

I am Fairly certain I want to do this one for the US though.
Yes it is colourful but I prefer making those. It is just more fun that a basic grey or a simple 3 colour camouflage pattern. Besides if people want a grey version turning off the colouring should be easy.

Also yes I have the Leopard 2A6 with camouflage but without markings. Like the planes it is just turning off visibility for a group.
Leopard 2A6 no cross
Again if anyone else want any changes like this just let me know. Removing markings, logos etc is easy and fast and removing just parts of them is no problem either.
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

Thank you very much! I think it has more personality in the German camo and frankly, it will make distinguishing it from other units much easier. I think that if I could make all the unit graphics anew I`d probably make the generic texture in the camouflage of the maker of the design and then only make some additional regional textures where applicable (like the desert camo T-55 for the Arab areas).
I am fine with doing it like this. It means less work and the plane will be more distinct than with it just being another grey one. There will probably be plenty of grey planes anyway.
My point too. Why have it look like another generic F-16 when it could be easily distinguishable. Plus, I like colours! :-)
Yes it is colourful but I prefer making those. It is just more fun that a basic grey or a simple 3 colour camouflage pattern.
I agree. Especially when it comes to textures for factions that have their own region I don`t see why you`d not go for the more representative or colourful scheme.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

My goal at the very least is to have some sort of very generic texture set and one for the nation that manufactured the vehicle. More if there is other good candidates.

The problem is that with many nations I cannot really give them their own camouflage pattern.
While I could see the point in say creating an E region leopard 2 camouflage set it is something I am fairly unlikely to do. E is an extreme case in that it has 4 operators of the leopard 2 all with different ways to paint their vehicles. No matter which one I pick 3 of them will have the wrong one.
This is one of the main reasons why I would prioritise making vehicles like the Merkava, Arjun or Leclerc over the Altay and if I make the Altay I would probably just paint it green.
No I do not consider the Altay unimportant I just put much higher priority on groups that either only contain a single nation or has that nation by far be the dominant one.

For the record if I where to paint anything in region group E I would pick the Greek pattern as it is the most unique but I got a nagging feeling that would just be asking for problems.

I think I have enough work done on the Stahlfeldwagen that I might at the very least have a version out soon. Probably together with the US navy. For now I have removed the driver. The texture map still supports him if I change my mind though.
The horses are clones though I mirrored them to make it slightly less obvious. I will probably also pose the legs in some way which will hopefully also make this less noticeable.
Good thing it is not to be seen in extreme closeups.
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

Well, this isn`t Total War so what extreme closeups are you worried about? :-) Personally I think you`ve done a great job on that.

You`re thinking to make a Merkava? What version?

Oh, and yes bring on the Leclerc! :D
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

I have never really been into the Total war series. I think the only total war game I played was the original Shogun.
The carriage might not need more details but I tend to get carried a bit away on that. Gerald Ford is a good example of that. I have made all the hangar doors despite probably never being seen.
Aircraft like the F-15 I have made also have the underside of the wings painted. I did stop with that though as it was an inefficient usage of space. I am still fairly happy with that one though so I might not redo it. It could still do with some updates though.

As for the Merkava my plan was a fairly unaltered late 1970's Mk. I Merkava. If I have the time I would also like to make a fully modified Mk. IV and Magach 7 if possible (A more regular early and late M-60 would probably have priority over it though). A Namer based on the Mk. IV is also something I would like to get around to making. They are however not that high priority right now. The priority for now is the US navy, the Japanese units and probably also some USSR aircraft.

The Leclerc is not very far along. I only have done the basic modelling which admittedly with the strange shapes the turret has taken some time but still is on a fraction of the work done.

This is the Leclerc together with an early version M-48 and a T-90MS (tris count is around 1K-1.1K). The reason the T-90 is red is that it has been UV mapped and that is my standard colour for a PSD array.
Eventually it will probably end up with the same colouration as my Eurocopter Tigre. This one also comes in generic green and german.
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

A Merkava I and the latest IV would indeed be the best way to go. The one we have now looks more like a III. The Namer would also be cool, but I agree that it shouldn`t be high priority. Maybe along the way you`ll get to making more western APCs and IFVs though. It`s pretty boring with most wheeled ones looking like a 8x8 LAV (with a big manned turret) or a 6x6 VAB and then either an M114 or a Bradley. There`re no graphics for the Patria AMV/Rosomak or the Boxer or even a proper Piranha III. Not to mention the CV90 IFV which is in service (albeit in small quantities) with 7 nations for the tracked ones.
probably also some USSR aircraft
Like what? :)

I love how the Tiger looks!
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

The pattern on the Tigre is what I intend to use on all French Vehicles. Aircraft will be more varied as I can just slap a roundel on it and it will say it is French.
The Tigre itself will hopefully be out with my next update as it basically only need to be converted. All art assets should be done.

I can add some IFV/APC's to my now quite long list of models I should get done sure. No promise on when they will be done though. The Japanese units will also include a Type 60 and Type 96 APC.

For the USSR aircraft for now I aim at making a Tu-126, Polikarpov I-15 and I-16, Antonov An-2, Mig 17 and 21 (maybe also 19 if I have the time) and Mi-8. This is also roughly my personal priority for them. Rebuilding my not very good Tu-16 is also a priority.
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

Were you planing to change the F-16 too or am I remembering incorrectly?

I think the S-300 can be made to look bigger. It`s a matter of taste of course, but comparing it to the T-72 I think it looked kinda puny at 0.125 so I`ve upped it to 0.15

EDIT: actually, if you want the S-300 to be comparable in size to the Smerch you need a value of 0.22 (top) or 0.23 (bottom) as shown bellow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Modding Show & Tell”