3D modelling

Post mods you have finished or are working on here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

nick-bang
Colonel
Human: Yes
Location: A dark and ominous room - only illuminated by the eerie light of a computerscreen

Re: 3D modelling

Post by nick-bang »

Nerei

For a number of reasons, then my heart goes out to you and your family. No matter how old and infirm people are, then they always die too soon when they are loved.

But try to find some semblance of closure in the fact that your Grandmother was a person that inspired so much love and influenced your life to the degree, that your grief is a testament to what a good person she was.

Time and talk ... is the only way to find real consolation.

In the meantime, know that what you have made here positively influenced the lifes of many others. And reflects well on both your grandmother and your parents for raising you to be the person you are.
Something I am sure she would she be proud of, had she been in a situation to understand it.
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

I woul'd like to apologize to Nerei for my previous post.
Combination of negligence, fast scaning of the posts resulting in only partially red posts and rashness resulted in really outrageous post from me for wich I can find no excuse.
My condolencies for your loss!
Please teach AI everything!
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

nick-bang wrote:Nerei

For a number of reasons, then my heart goes out to you and your family. No matter how old and infirm people are, then they always die too soon when they are loved.

But try to find some semblance of closure in the fact that your Grandmother was a person that inspired so much love and influenced your life to the degree, that your grief is a testament to what a good person she was.

Time and talk ... is the only way to find real consolation.

In the meantime, know that what you have made here positively influenced the lifes of many others. And reflects well on both your grandmother and your parents for raising you to be the person you are.
Something I am sure she would she be proud of, had she been in a situation to understand it.
The person I knew died around 2 years ago. Not sure if it makes it easier as dementia is terrifying in its own right but it does mean that it is by no means sudden and in many ways it had already happened. It does hurt quite a bit though when a formerly intelligent person talks and to some extend acts like a 5 year old. This is naturally the person I mainly remember right now but in a few years when this is further in the past the previous person is probably/hopefully the person I mainly will remember.

In cases of sufficiently advanced dementia the person is also living in blissful ignorance (trust me ignorance really is bliss at times). She had no clue what was going on and that her deteriorating health would eventually kill her. In the end though it went fairly fast and from what I can tell was also painless.
My greatest fear was not that she would die a that was all but certain but that it would be a long drawn out agonising death as that was a real possibility but thankfully that did not happen.

It is painfull for the rest of us, it would be that no matter what. Chances however are she never knew what was going on around her nor felt anything.
That and that she lived a long and for the most part happy life is quite comforting and in many ways the best you can wish for. It is what I take comfort in at least.

My mother however is harder hit by this and my priority for the coming time will have to focus on this.
Zuikaku wrote:I woul'd like to apologize to Nerei for my previous post.
Combination of negligence, fast scaning of the posts resulting in only partially red posts and rashness resulted in really outrageous post from me for wich I can find no excuse.
My condolencies for your loss!
Do not worry about it. This is the internet and if nothing else we have to assume things gets lost in translation, misinterpreted an the like. I do what I can to avoid taking offense at everything that could potentially be conceived as such. Chances are it is a misunderstanding.

Just to keep it related to the original topic here is a still quite incomplete F-4 that I have been meaning to work on for some time. The model is based on the F-4EJ Kai as is the texturing but it should easily be able to serve as any late model of the F-4.
The initial version might only include a generic and a Japanese version but ultimately I hope to have more version such as an Israeli, US, German, British and Republic of Korea.

Sorry if this is not the most coherent. I do not sleeping much at the moment. My approach to dealing with many things is to work my way through them and generally have little down-time.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Been going over my list of models and their status. Currently this is what I hope to have for the next update whenever that might be. The list is naturally subject to change. Yes I tend to want to make larger updates instead of a lot of smaller ones.

All models are more or less finished in terms of modelling and UV mapping except for a few of the ICBM's where that is basically no work at all.
Colour coding is basically something along the lines of:
Red: most of the texturing is still missing.
Yellow: some texturing work done.
Green: Most or all of the texturing done.
Keep in mind that the time required to finishing models vary greatly. Finishing all the ICBM/SLBM's will probably not require more time than finishing the Kittyhawk.
Type 60 AT
MCV
Type 61 MBT
Type 74 MBT
Type 90 MBT
Type 10 MBT

Type 60 APC
Type 96 WAPC
Type 89 IFV
Type 87 SPAAG

Type 87 RCV
Type 73 truck
Komatsu LAV
Type 75 MRL
Type 99 HSP
M270 MLRS
UH-1D
AH-64
AH-1
OH-1

CH-46
CH-47
UH-60J

Ki-27
Ki-45

F-1
F-2
F-3
F-15

F-4 Phantom II
KC-767
E767

Kawasaki C-1
Shin Meiwa US-1A
P-3 Orion

Kawasaki P-1
SH-60J
SH-3 Sea King
DD-103 Ayanami

DD 151 Asagiri
DD-119 Asahi
DDH-183 Izumo
DD-110 Takanami
DDG-173 Kongo

DDH-181 Hyuga
S501 Soryu
S590 Oyashiov
S573 Yoshio

DD-164 Takatsuki
DDH-143 Shirane
DDG-171 Hatakaze

DE-229 Abukuma
DD-122 Hatsuyuku
DD-107 Murasame
USS Essex (SCB-27C + SCB-125)
USS Oliver Hazard Perry

USS Spruance
USS Nimitz
USS Kitty Hawk
USS Enterprise (CVN)
USS Gerald R. Ford
USS Midway (SCB 110)
USS Ohio SSBN-726
USS Virginia SSN 774

USS Seawolf SSN 21
USS Cheyenne SSN 773
USS Skipjack SSN 585
Type XXI submarine

Liaoning
B-58 Hustler
NATF

F-35
F-22

Tu-126
Mig-17
Mig-19
Mig-21
Mi-28

Eurocopter Tigre
M-48 Patton
AMX-56 Leclerc
T-90MS
Arjun
Merkava 4
K-2 Black Panther

LGM-118A Peacekeeper
LGM-30 Minuteman III

MGM-134 Midgetman
LGM-25C Titan II
SM-65 Atlas
UGM-133 Trident II
UGM-96 Trident I
UGM-73 Poseidon
UGM-27 Polaris
Project Pluto

horse carriage
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

That`s an impressive list! I did not expect you were so far along the way, nor that so many interesting (to me :D ) units are on it. For the Japanese units when you say that most or all of the texturing is complete, does that refer strictly to the Japanese texture or the generic one too? Stuff like the AH-64, AH-1, F-15 etc.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

The main reason they are that far along is that for some time I probably put somewhere between 4 and 7 hours into this on average each day. At times this really gave me some ridiculously long days with Maya and Photoshop and while I like to use the programs it just was too much.
Like I said I am not doing that right now so progress is much slower.

Generic textures tend to be simpler than the more complex nation specific ones. In the case of the AH-64, AH-1 and F-15 they are just green, green and grey respectively.
For the most part a model needs the primary national texture which would usually mean the main manufacturer and by extension operator (assuming it is going to have one e.g. most warships do not) as well as a generic texture to be considered done on that list. If it is part of the JSDF group though it might only have its Japanese texture set and generic initially on release (all items above the DD-107 Murasame is part of that one).
The reason the KC767 and E767 is not considered finished is that they do not have a generic texture yet though it might end up mainly being stripping them of the Hinomarus and any readable characters.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Again progress is not the fastest as I still have a few other issues to deal with. In the end it might result in me having more time to spend on this but no promises.

Still I have managed to get some work done on the Type 73 truck (early Shin version). It is still fairly rough.
Tris count is around 750. I decided to make the tarp covered version instead of the open MG carrying version mostly to cut down on tris. I modelled this vehicle before I decided to stop adhering strictly to the 900 tris cap.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Found out that I had a finished ki-43 so it should also make it into next update. PRC and ROC markings should make it onto these once I get around to China which I hope to have as the next focus nation after Japan is more complete (well either that or the ROK).
Also the except for camouflage which I have not entirely decided upon the Type 73 light truck is more or less done. Generally these vehicles are not in the JGSDF 2 colour camouflage pattern, I might make it anyway though for consistencies sake.
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

Those Japonese aircraft paint schemes are quite elaborate (and good looking)! If it`s not a problem, when you make another preview, could you show the F-15 too?
China which I hope to have as the next focus nation after Japan is more complete (well either that or the ROK).
Personally I`m very pleased that the K-2 Black Panther is already on your to do list. If you will eventually make a K9 Thunder self propelled artillery too it would be even better.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

I can post a rendering of the F-15 in a few days as it is currently undergoing a bit of modification. Part of the texturing was not all that great and given that it was not that optimised either I decided to rebuild most of it.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Some good news and bad news.
Basically my computer is dead. I cannot even get into recovery mode. Only single user functions work. It is basically a very small command console OS that Apple computers ship with that bypass most components. All other boot functions are completely impossible and basically cause the computer to reboot. Even network boot fails. I have tried with 2 different drives and both have this problem. It is not a software issue. Long story short the computer is dead. I have a few ideas as to what could have failed but repairing a 6 year old laptop is not really worth it. It is at the point where other hardware failures are likely. I already have had one about 18 months ago but it was covered by extended warranty.

The only good thing to say is that I know it is not a software or drive issue as I have moved the drive over to another computer and it runs fine. There does not appear to be any data loss.
Problem is it is a 2007 model so it is basically ancient. Running much on it is not very feasible as it is idling at around 20% CPU load. I do like the powerbook cabinet though just sad it is quite obsolete.
It is a decent web browser though.

Over the next few days I will probably be trying to work out what would be the best replacement and actually getting around to buying it. I do not expect to get much work done until I have a computer that is not ancient.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Okay I got a new computer so I should be able to get back to work on this. Also I might have instant noodles a bit more often for some time.

Might have rendering of the F-15 tomorrow just got some software to install first.

Also I guess I have to start looking at older vessels now. I definitely have to make the Mikasa and probably also a few other late 19th or early 20th century warships.
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

I`m sorry to hear about your computer problems, but I really hope you haven`t become a noodles-tarian just so you can post a render of the F-15. On the bright side, you`ll be saving some time too with those instant noodles.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

No I have not gone and bought a MacBook Pro just to render an F-15. I have mainly been a Mac user for a long time so I would probably buy one no matter what. Also a good portion of my software is Mac only so I pretty much need it to get work done.

Finally windows decided to force my network drivers to commit seppuku when it itself decided to commit BSOD and I still have to sort that out. Everything "appears" to work but it cannot find the network. My linux partition though works just great so it is just windows being junk again... I swear Microsoft makes the worst OS.

I would consider Linux instead of MacOS as I really like that OS but most of my software will not run well on it.

For the record instant noodles mixed with a can of soup can be quite good and I can make it all in a microwave oven. That said there are plenty of other recipes that are both cheap and not completely unhealthy.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Here is the first preview of the F-15. Technically it is a F-15J (A Mitsubishi License built F-15C).
This particular texture is based on F-15J serial 22-8938 of the 6th Kokudan, 303rd Hikotai as it appeared in 2004 during the celebration of the JASDF 50th anniversary.
yes I forgot to crop the image. I am not going to do it now and re-upload another one.
The texture still need a bit of work but the basics should be done. It is naturally possible to see that it is only a 512x512 texture but I assume it is going to be okay at the distance seen in-game.

The generic texture will probably just be a dull grey, ROKAF dark grey to black, IAF a desert camouflage and the US I have not decided upon yet.

I am not planning a Saudi Arabian or Singaporean version as both region Y and Z are fairly broad groups and for Saudi Arabia the defining characteristic of their colour scheme is the Saudi flag on the tail.
Singapore has some fancy tail art but other than that and a lions head near the front seat they are a fairly dull grey and again it is a broad national group.
Not all versions might make it into the initial release though.

Return to “Modding Show & Tell”