3D modelling

Post mods you have finished or are working on here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

MK4
Colonel
Human: Yes

Re: 3D modelling

Post by MK4 »

So the AI does not get all its ships stuck into the sea anymore?
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

MK4 wrote:So the AI does not get all its ships stuck into the sea anymore?
Not so often. You still get the usual bottleneck near Marseille. It's better than it was but still not as good as I would like with task forces going around instead of individual ships.

Out of interest, is the modelling still subject to the old "rules"? If I remember correctly it was less than 1k poly and a 1k texture. And that ships must be provided with 2 models, one waterline, the other full hull.
My SR:U Model Project, get the latest and post suggestions here:

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=28040
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

I actually do not know what the submission rules are. I tend to build the models like I want them, make the UGBIT icon and convert it myself to .x format. The ID range I use is one I agreed with BG to use so they can basically use them directly.

Once I deem them tested I upload them to BG and let them do more or less what they want. My plan is to have roughly 15 days to a month delay between initial release on these boards and upload to try and catch as many issues as possible before sending them on.

I naturally take tris count into consideration but I aim for what I find is appropriate for a given model and not as such that it has to be below a given number. Quite a few of them are well below 1K though. The J-20 is 560, the J-10 is 663 and Su-34 is 742 tris.
My fighter jets tend to be the lowest being in roughly that range while larger aircraft tend to be around 1K. AFVs are roughly 800-1.2K. Warships tend to be the highest at around 1.2K though aircraft carriers and battleships are somewhat higher and submarines lower.
I have yet to release infantry or towed artillery but the models I have made where all below 1K.

My highest tris count is 2401 for a battleship though that is an extreme case beating all other models by over 700 (and all but 2 or 3 by over 1K). It does however have 3 main turrets, 18 secondary, 3 Phalanx CIWS, 2 SeaRAM launchers, 8 quad anti ship missile launcher and 2 VLS units on top of the regular structure, some radar domes a couple of dishes and the like.

I have broken 1K texture resolution also. By quite a bit actually as my largest are 4K. They are however composite textures supporting multiple units. The most used support around 15 right now with space for at least 30 more (possibly upwards of 50 if I can reuse enough parts of existing models).
Single unit textures are 512 square though.

Also I agree better AI would be great. As I have probably said that, better unit management and better diplomacy is by far my most wished for features.
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

Nerei wrote:Snip
Excellent, I've been learning how to make stuff for Arma and so was thinking of coming back to making some stuff for the SR series, this time much better hopefully with the skills I've learnt since I modded Cold War.
My SR:U Model Project, get the latest and post suggestions here:

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=28040
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

If you got any questions you think I can answer you are more than welcome to ask ^_^
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

The Dana is starting to take shape. Also according to wikipedia the USSR operated some so it will most likely get a Russian and generic colour set.

Also I am not sure how much time I will have to work on this for the rest of the month as I have a few other things that have to take priority so my current goal is mostly just to get this, the Cougar and Su-34 done.
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

Thank you very much for making this! I played a Georgian campaign years back. Wish I had proper graphics for this one. It definitely spices up the looks of the battlefield.
Also according to wikipedia the USSR operated some so it will most likely get a Russian and generic colour set.
How did that look? I haven`t been able to find any clear colour images of them. I`d be happy with just the generic green texture btw.
Also I am not sure how much time I will have to work on this for the rest of the month as I have a few other things that have to take priority so my current goal is mostly just to get this, the Cougar and Su-34 done.
I think that, together with what you`ve already finished, it adds up to a pretty impressive monthly list.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Hard to say as like you said references are fairly bad. My guess is that a basic soviet green is not entirely unlikely. However being a modern vehicle it will get the white, black and green pattern that I have used for modern Russian/USSR vehicles.

Also another update for the already released models. This time the fixes are related to texture issues with the P3C and B-36 (and possibly more that I have forgotten about). It also updates the textures for the Type 87 SPAAG, Type 90 MTB, Type 99 HSP and K1A1 MBT. The models of the K1A1 and Type 99 have also been updated. The K1A1 had some minor issues with the UV map and the Type 99 did not have a properly functional revolving turret. Also I raised the barrel of the Type 99.
I have tried to get the models as close to the old in scale as possible.
I have included all picnum entries as quite a few have changed from the base game. It should be okay to just replace all entries between 1536 and 1999.

download
This package should be all that is needed for SR:U users. For everyone else the early June package is also needed.
Making backups of files before replacing them is strangely enough recommended.

I am planning on trying to do some cleanup in my existing half finished models for the next few months as I have a lot of them. Basically this means a mess of units ranging from a 1928 Hiraga battleship design to the Tu-160.
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Nerei wrote: download
This package should be all that is needed for SR:U users. For everyone else the early June package is also needed.
Making backups of files before replacing them is strangely enough recommended.
Can't download it now to check by myself, so I'll ask if the package includes picnum numbers overview for new unit models?
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

This time the fixes are related to texture issues with the P3C and B-36 (and possibly more that I have forgotten about)
There are a bunch of textures (generic) that I`ve just checked and do not seem to have any changes done to them.
J10
J89
Leclerc
A400M
T-90
Rafale
M110
So far, apart from the B36 and P3 mentioned above, I`ve only noticed edits to the generic textures of the J90, J87, J99 and K1 and they seem to be about increasing the parts visibility. Haven`t gone through the faction textures too yet.
The models of the K1A1 and Type 99 have also been updated.
Ok, but your pack contains 37 .x files. Have all of those been edited since your last release and need to be rechecked?

I have included all picnum entries as quite a few have changed from the base game.
I`m not sure what that means. Have you changed the numbers that you have previously set for your units?
number47 wrote: Can't download it now to check by myself, so I'll ask if the package includes picnum numbers overview for new unit models?
If by that you mean what unit name corresponds to what number than it does not. Unless Nerei changed them though (let`s wait for confirmation), the old lists should still be good:
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 43#p179843
and
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 45#p180145
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Sorry if my first post was a bit confusing. I was in a bit of a rush when I wrote it.

It is mainly a compilation of existing content to try and avoid having 400 different packages. The only meshes changed are the K1A1 and Type 99.
The Leclerc, A400M, T-90 etc are just there to keep things simple.

If you already got the the picnums sorted the only ones that need changing are the K1 and Type 99. Again I am mainly trying to avoid having to apply a number of different packages to get things working.

Basically changes since last patch are (and I should probably write something like this in the future as I will probably release all content for a month in subsequent patches):
Updated B-36 (ID 1841) textures
Updated P3 (ID 1655) textures
Updated Type 99 (ID 1645) mesh and textures (both generic and regional)
Updated K1A1 (ID 1744) mesh and textures (again both generic and regional)
Updated Type 87 SPAAG (ID 1643) regional and generic textures.
Updated Type 90 (ID 1641) regional and generic textures.

There are no ID changes. Those lists are still valid. Given that BG is pushing them directly into the game I am more or less locked there once they release.
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Thank you both for answering! :wink:
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
Breznev
Lieutenant

Post by Breznev »

thx and good job for the new modelling of tanks and aircraft etc .... :wink:
but Is it possible to run the model in SRU ??
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

I have had no problems adding any of them to SR:U. Some have even been added to the default game with patch 9.1.23 so I am really not sure what you mean.

If you can give me a few more details I might be able to figure out what the problem is.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

The shkh Dana is mostly done. I have tried to adjust the colouring of the angled plating a bit to help fake lightning on them make them stand out. There is also fake shadows around the turret amongst others and I have tried to make some colour difference between the chassis and turret. Also I threw on some dirt for good measure.
I have decided that if I have the time I would rather use it on getting the mi-28 finished rather than a camouflage pattern that might never be seen. I still intend to do it at some point but there are other more important things to do.
Also here is a quite early look at the Cougar.
Yes I can change it into other colours but green is my default colour so there will be a green one.

Return to “Modding Show & Tell”