3D modelling

Post mods you have finished or are working on here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

MK4
Colonel
Human: Yes

Re: 3D modelling

Post by MK4 »

The wheels are obviously very detailed considering SR`s restrictions. I was only mentioning them because kid`s wooden toys tend to be on wheels and sometimes have some sort of string or bar to be held and towed by, hence the analogy. :-)
https://www.bellalunatoys.com/products/ ... oy-vehicle
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Childre ... 65396.html
I am actually fairly sure I also used the C-130 as a rough reference for the size oft he A400 but yes accurate scale is not possible. I think the best thing to aim for is what feels right. It can also be used to distinguish heavy and light transport aircraft I guess.
Imagine what a C-27J would look like since it has to be smaller than the C-130.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alenia_C- ... #Operators
I agree with the "feels right" approach. It`s just that it will have to be made by class/category. Essentially what I`m trying to do is avoid something way out of scale (like a tiny Rafale or a huge F-2) and generally create the "right feel" for units in the same category (an F-16 should be smaller than an F-15 for example).
With regards to camouflage for the Cougar I cannot say I have given it much thought. I will make a basic green version for consistency but as long as it is just that one tone beige I see no problem in making that also.
Great! That could be the faction texture of ... pretty much everyone. :D
As for the Sukhoi PAK FA I cannot say when it might happen I got a fairly long list of units in some state of completion. You can also make it a suggestion for next month.
You`re gonna keep the three units offer for August too?

EDIT: I apologize, I must have mixed something up regarding the Japanese tanks. The values should be the folowing. I`ve also adjusted the Leclerc a bit and the T-90:
Type 74 - 0.085
Type 90 - 0.115
Type 10 - 0.112
T-90 - 0.038
Leclerc - 0.047
I`ll remove the info from the previous post to avoid any confusions.

One thing though. Any idea why the flag gets so much over the T-55, unlike for the other units? Maybe it`s also a matter of the model`s "altitude" sort of speak?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

I am not sure what is up with the T-55. My guess is the Z axis is not aligned properly. I created it quite a long time ago and finding the original scene to check is probably not feasible. I can try and re-export it with a setup like the new tank models. I will see if I can find some time to get it and the F-15 done.

Here is the SA-2 with a bit more work put into it. The lower part of the launcher itself still need some work. Also I decided to UV map it on top of a T-55 chassis. It means the wheeled launcher does not really make optimal usage of the texture map but it means converting any T-55 texture into a mobile SA-2 launcher is extremely easy (to the point of dropping it into the scene, apply camouflage to the launcher to make it match and it should work)

Also yes I hope to have the unit suggestions be a permanent feature.
Basically my intention is to allow people to suggest models for each release period (sort of a top X list). I will then try and create a master list from this based on my personal preference, what is realistic etc (e.g. 3 battleships is extremely unlikely to make it though simply due to the time it takes to make them).
Currently my plan is 3 a month but if I move to bi-monthly releases I might make it say 5.

I can naturally not guarantee all of them (or any for that matter) gets made but I will try and see how well it goes.
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

Nerei wrote:I am not sure what is up with the T-55. My guess is the Z axis is not aligned properly. I created it quite a long time ago and finding the original scene to check is probably not feasible. I can try and re-export it with a setup like the new tank models.
I`m not sure what that means technically, but if you can give it a try it would be great. I`ll recheck it in game for size of course.
Here is the SA-2 with a bit more work put into it. The lower part of the launcher itself still need some work. Also I decided to UV map it on top of a T-55 chassis. It means the wheeled launcher does not really make optimal usage of the texture map but it means converting any T-55 texture into a mobile SA-2 launcher is extremely easy (to the point of dropping it into the scene, apply camouflage to the launcher to make it match and it should work)
Are you planing to release both? For what it`s worth I like how they both look.
Also yes I hope to have the unit suggestions be a permanent feature.
Cool! May I ask what`s your to do list for this month? With the obvious understanding that things may change as you see fit of course.

Have you started work on the CV90 yet? I was wondering which version you`re aiming to make. I`d advocate a Swedish CV 9040, but not the latest CV9040C which has that add-on armour that changes its aspect significantly by comparison to the earlier variants and to all the other versions of the foreign operators. Besides, the extra armour would make it look too much like a tank in game.
CV9040B:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:CV9040B.jpg
CV9040C:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... 2012-2.jpg
Also, would it be feasible to allow room for a potential AA version? I`m referring to the Luftvarnskanonvagn 90 (Lukv 90):
http://www.military-today.com/artillery/lvkv_90.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Swed ... ehicle.JPG
Apart from the external dome and accounting for the gun elevation (and extra length I think) there doesn`t seem to be a need for much alteration.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Basically what I mean is that the model is probably too far to the front.

My list tend to be somewhat fluid and sometimes quite optimistic so please keep that in mind.
In no particular order it would probably be:
Type 001 aircraft carrier
Chengdu J-20
Chengdu J-10
Xian H-6/Tu-16
SA-2
Cougar 6X6
Su-34
SpGH DANA
Marder IFV
Myasishchev M-4

Some of these already have some progress which is why I have that many. Also aircrafts are fairly well represented while surface warships is not which also help a bit.
Anything that does not make it will probably just be pushed into August or I might delay the early August package a few days to get it done if it is close enough.

My plan was to release both of the SA-2 variants. I also have the space to make a version without the transport setup though I would probably rather use the time making say a SA-6, SA-8 or SA-19.

I have not started on the CV90 but sure I can go wth the earlier variant and creating a version both with and without the air search radar is probably not that hard. It should also be possible to have both variants use the same texture map.
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

Nerei wrote: My list tend to be somewhat fluid and sometimes quite optimistic so please keep that in mind.
In no particular order it would probably be:
Type 001 aircraft carrier
Chengdu J-20
Chengdu J-10
Xian H-6/Tu-16
SA-2
Cougar 6X6
Su-34
SpGH DANA
Marder IFV
Myasishchev M-4
Great list. We`ll finally be able to stop using the Eurofighter and F-22 for the Chinese J-10 and J-20. I`m personally very happy you`re making the DANA!
I also have the space to make a version without the transport setup though I would probably rather use the time making say a SA-6, SA-8 or SA-19.
Ouch! I did not even realize we don`t have the first two. :P We actually have a SA-4 for the SA-6 in SR. Soviet/Russian equipment seems to be even less represented than I thought. Sure, if you could tackle some of those in the future it would really add to the game. The SA-8 in particular has a very distinctive look.
It should also be possible to have both variants use the same texture map.
That`s what I was hoping for. We do have the unit in game (Lvkv 90) so if it`s not much work it would be nice to plan for it while you make the CV9040.

EDIT:

Btw, here`s the whole list of graphics for air defence units in SR2020/SRCW. Not that many options to choose from and I`m not that impressed with the graphics that are meant to be the Patriot considering it`s such a well-spread and iconic weapon.

4 - MANPTXT.ppm - generic MANPADS
7 - TSAMTXT.png - MIM-23 Hawk ?
24 - SBTAATX.png - ? (AA gun)
32 - LRSAMWTX.png - truck mounted SAM (Patriot like)
33 - ZSU57TX.png - ZSU-57-2
72 - WSAMTX.png - SA-9 "Gaskin" ?
92 - GEPARDTX.dds - Flakpanzer Gepard
96 - TRSAMTX.png - ?
104 - uses 134
107 - AVSAMTX.png - HMMWV Avenger ?
109 - SA-4TXT.png - SA-4
131 - VBLMSTX.dds - VBL Mistral ?
134 - LAVADTX.png - LAV-AD
167 - RTRUCKTX.png - generic radar truck
175 - RMARDERT.png - Marder Roland ?
180 - M113ATTX.png - M113 ADATS ?
181 - LADATSTX.png - ? LAV based AA
182 - TADATSTX.png - ? short range missile system ?
191 - TV30MMTX.png - 30mm AA gun with radar ?
192 - DBTATTX.png - perhaps the Soviet 100mm AA gun KS-19
240 - F_AATX.png - future AA unit?
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

I cannot recreate the F-15 issue. This is what it looks like when I use it.
It is basically sitting on top the other aircraft(s). Are you certain it is not an older model?
I did however check that I had not made updates for the F-15I and K variants. These should ideally have the right altitude.
Download F-15I
Download F-15K

I have made a new export of the T-55. This time it definitely should be placed right (interestingly enough it was not in the source file and I guess that might have carried over). The way SRU places the flags appear to be different from at least some of the older versions so I cannot check the exact placement in reference to that.
The scales should also be updated.
download
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

Are you certain it is not an older model?
You are right. I was using the model from the June release, not the one from July. I was convinced I had replaced it with the new one as I have done with the others. Your latest model doesn`t have the problem. I`ve just checked. On the other hand I now feel it needs to be a bit bigger (0.072 to be precise)... Hopefully it`s because of the new model otherwise all this scaling is getting to me and I`m caught in a loop. :-)

Thank you very much for the F-15I and F-15K! And for the T-55. The unit versus flag position is normal now.
The scales should also be updated.
I`ll say! I got it in game with my old setting and was dismayed to see only the flag coming out of reserve which meant another screw up, but when I looked closer there it was...

You were pretty much in the area with your new setting by comparison to the T-72, but I think a slight increase to 0.05 would be better.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

If you look closely you will also see that T-55 has no turret ^_-

Mostly done with the J-10. The generic, non PRC version will probably just be the same except no roundels and maybe slightly different grey colouring.
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

Nerei wrote:If you look closely you will also see that T-55 has no turret ^_-
You have very good eyes. The joke with the French article for the mouche springs to mind. I had noticed it, but did not mention it so as not to alarm you. It was just a side-effect of using the old picnums line.
Mostly done with the J-10. The generic, non PRC version will probably just be the same except no roundels and maybe slightly different grey colouring.
I like what you did with the panel lines (more like Airfix than Hasegawa :D ). It brakes the monotony of the camouflage.
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

You know, we don`t exactly have a Su-27 (which is something I had forgotten). The vanilla Su-27 graphics are actually these:
151 - SU37TXT.dds - Sukhoi Su-37
As you can see in the attached image it`s not really a Su-37 either. It`s obviously just a slightly modified vanilla MiG-29.

Btw, the newest Su-35S which is also in service with China is, as far as we`re concerned, almost identical to the Su-27, apart from the tailboom, the lack of the pitot tube on the nose and other minor things. There`s a modelling guide describing the visual differences here:
http://www.flankers-site.co.uk/modl_su-35.html
He also has a to the point explanation about the Su-35 - Su-37 - Su-35S development history in case you`re curious:
http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/inde ... nt-1536042

I`m mentioning it in the sense one can decently substitute one for the other in a game like SR and also in the sense that if you do decide to make one you could easily make the other if you wished to and generally distinguish them through the camo like you did for the F-15s.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

From the games perspective the PRC does have a Su-27. The Shenyang J-11 is basically a Su-27K assembled in China. The B variant is from what I understand locally built.

I see no problem is making an Su-27/35 or 37. Creating a large number of textures is probably not something I will do for a monthly build simply due to the time it takes. If I do a binge build of USSR/Russian aircraft it is a good candidate.

I agree that does not really look like a Su-37. The air intakes strikes me as quite Mig-29 esque. Hard to say exactly what it is. I am not an expert on Russian aircraft but with my limited knowledge I would say slightly stretched Mig-29 with Canards.
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

Nerei wrote:From the games perspective the PRC does have a Su-27. The Shenyang J-11 is basically a Su-27K assembled in China. The B variant is from what I understand locally built.
That was not really the point I was trying to make. My grip was with the fact that there are no graphics currently in SR that depict a proper Su-27 (or any related development of it) apart from the so called Su-37 that was pictured above.
I see no problem is making an Su-27/35 or 37.
Imo, creating a Su-35 is something of a luxury if you make the Su-27. It wouldn`t take that much effort as I`ve said above, but it`s still time put into something that is not that different (both visually and in its role). Same thing with the J-11 I think. I was posting the information so you have it handy in case you need to make some decisions in the future, not because I wanted to request the extra variants now.
Creating a large number of textures is probably not something I will do for a monthly build simply due to the time it takes.
I`m pretty sure the Su-27 will be on my list of wishes for the future, but I will not ask for more than your usual one faction plus one generic texture. In fact I`d be happy with only one of the two.
I agree that does not really look like a Su-37. The air intakes strikes me as quite Mig-29 esque. Hard to say exactly what it is. I am not an expert on Russian aircraft but with my limited knowledge I would say slightly stretched Mig-29 with Canards.
The only difference between the texture of the Su-37 and that of the MiG-29 is that the former has a canard and the area in front of the cockpit is not black. The model differences are not much greater.

I`ve tested a few more units in game and I recommend the following size values:
Type 99 SPH - 0.08
Type 87 SPAAG - 0.069
Type 73 Light Truck - 0.03
Komatsu LAV - 0.03
Type 60 APC - 0.045
M41 Walker Bulldog - 0.0052
Type 89 IFV - 0.08

I hope I`m not gonna bother you with this one, but is there something that could be done on future land units to better distinguish their turret and gun? Like having the turret and gun use a slightly lighter/darker texture or some dirt etc. Maybe something changed in newer versions, but from what I can see SR does not have shadows (makes sense as it would drain resources) or some 3d lighting so unless the turret moves it`s very hard to make out and sometimes the gun is in the same situation. Especially if the whole unit is only one colour. For example:
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

My main reason for mentioning the J-11 is that a Su-27 model can serve as that and a Su-27. I am not really sure I can manage more than I already have for this month so far. I guess I can delay the type 001 to say next month and see if I can make room for a Su-27/J-11 instead but it is already maybe a bit too optimistic so no promises.

I will get the scales updated though it might be a few days before I actually get as far as to get an update done.
Also let me know what models you would like to have turret colour adjusted on. It is largely something that can be done with a bit of cutting layers apart and applying a brightness/contrast adjustment. On the newer vehicles that is easy as the colour layers are completely separate from the actual details. It might take some time to get around to covering all vehicles.
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

Nerei wrote:My main reason for mentioning the J-11 is that a Su-27 model can serve as that and a Su-27.
Ok, I agree with that. As far as I am concerned the Chinese texture (if you do make one) could very well represent the J-11.
I am not really sure I can manage more than I already have for this month so far.
No, let`s wait until the next month. I am aware you have a whole set of units in work and I do know that the next wishing time is in August. :-)
I will get the scales updated though it might be a few days before I actually get as far as to get an update done.
I am doing these for my own game anyway and I post them here for your benefit and anyone else`s who`s implementing these in game by himself so don`t feel any pressure to adjust these in any given time.
Also let me know what models you would like to have turret colour adjusted on.
I`m not sure it`s a good idea to start redoing work. It`s how mods usually die. I meant the comment as something to be kept in mind for the future. On the other hand having just looked at the Type 16 MCV in game I have to say that in its case the turret is very well defined. I think it`s because the dark area you`ve set for the hull texture (the area on top of which the turret is meant to be placed) is protruding a bit and thus creating the shadow effect. Could be a solution elsewhere maybe.

Speaking of which, two more unit sizes (I judged the MCV relative to the Type 74 tank since in game it is a "tank"):

Type 16 MCV - 0.09
Type 96 Wheeled APC - 0.041
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

The F-15 is basically a completely redone model compared to the first one I made as are my Type 001 aircraft carrier, the F-3 and Tu-16. Cutting a few textures up or adding a dark overlay is not much really.

Return to “Modding Show & Tell”