3D modelling

Post mods you have finished or are working on here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

number47
General
Human: Yes

Re: 3D modelling

Post by number47 »

well, most of the tanks desert pattern is a plain "yellow" but in some occasions (Iraqi T-55, Challenger 2 desert camo) they mix it with simple green mottle. Any other configuration I've seen is either too complex or uses too much colors...
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

I can try and experiment a bit with desert camouflage patterns at some point. The good thing is that green, brown or purple is less important as Photoshop can adjust colours quite easily. Creating the pattern is the time consuming part not setting the colours as such.

As for THAAD that would probably be part of a larger project to build HEMTT trucks such as the M1977 bridge transporter, M977 cargo truck and possibly also the M893 to go with the patriot semi trailer (the challenge here though is keeping tris count from exploding as the current model is already high and this is just going to be higher). Not going to put a number of hours on this but it will not exactly be comparable to making an aircraft.
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

Nerei wrote:As for THAAD that would probably be part of a larger project to build HEMTT trucks such as the M1977 bridge transporter, M977 cargo truck and possibly also the M893 to go with the patriot semi trailer (the challenge here though is keeping tris count from exploding as the current model is already high and this is just going to be higher).
To me the HEMTT used for the THAAD seems shorter and with fewer wheels than the truck you`ve done for the Patriot. Simpler too, in general, but perhaps the cabin complicates things?

I was just trying to see if there`s a decent balance between the effort needed and the importance of the unit. It`s been getting a lot of attention for a while now and it would be nice to visually distinguish it from the MIM-104 (not to mention the vanilla generic graphics), but I was under the impression the later is among the most complicated models you`ve done so far.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

I was referring to the M983 as that has 9 wheels whereas the Type 73 heavy truck has 7. I can naturally cut down on the sides of the wheels but together withe the trailer it starts to add up.
Alone it will not be that much of a problem just like the Type 73 heavy truck. It is together with the M902 trailer it really becomes bad.
I have no concern for the THAAD or the other HEMTT vehicles in terms of tris count. THAAD itself would probably end up somewhere around 1K. I am not objecting to doing just saying it will take some time to find the time to do it in part as I might as well use the HEMTT chassis for more purposes while I am at it.
It will naturally take longer that way but 3-4 units in this case will not even remotely take 3-4x as long.

I am also considering using the Type 73 Heavy truck to create a tank transport truck as I just need to make a flatbed trailer for it.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

I am currently working on converting models. Unless something goes wrong it should be done within reasonable time.

The list of models that should make it is:
M1126 ICV
M1128 MGS
MIM-104 Patriot semi trailer with Type 73 heavy truck
Su-27
Type 03 Chū-SAM

The MIM-104 only come with J regional textures so far.

Also I am considering changing release date to the middle of the month rather than the start as that will in many cases fit better with my other schedules. Next time would then be around October 15th
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Allright the September update, finally.

Download

Changes:
Added M1126 ICV (ID1764), Texture: M1126_tx.dds; Variants: U
Added M1126 MGS (ID1765), Texture: M1128_tx.dds; Variants: U
Added MIM-104 PAC-3 Patriot M902 semi trailer and Type 73 heavy truck (ID1766), Texture: MIM104_tx.dds; Variants: J
Added Type 03 Chū-SAM (ID1767), Texture: J03chu_tx.dds; Variants: J
Added Su-27 (ID1873), Texture: Su27_tx.dds; Variants: CR
scougys
Warrant Officer

Post by scougys »

Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

It might be a bit before I can get to it as there are quite a few models already lined up but yes I can definitely make it. If I appear to forget it just bring it up again.

Also I forgot to put this link up in my last post so here is the raw UGBITS files
Download
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

Thank you very much! :-)

Nerei, could you please post the Russian and Chinese textures of the Su-27 without the national markings? Also, could you save the model of the SU-27 to mention the J-11B please? I would like to implement its graphics separately since vanilla already has such a unit.

EDIT: btw, I`ve kept my old post updated with your subsequent releases (including this one) in case anyone needs a unified list of unit names and their IDs:
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 98#p180898
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

This version should call for the texture J11B_tx.dds.
The roundel free texture versions of the PRC and Russian textures are also included
Download
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

Thank you! For me at least this was a great monthly update.

Have you decided what units you want to make/finish this month (apart from the CV90 and Mirage 2000)?
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Naturally this is subject to change and it is all but certain that I will not manage to cover all but right now my plans are something like this:

US Navy strike Cruiser concept
America class LHA
San Antonio class LPD
Iowa class battleship roughly 1991.
Oliver Hazard Perry-class frigate
Midway class aircraft carrier with SCB 110 upgrade
California class cruiser
Mashu class replenishment ship
Augusta Vesterland AW101/EH101/Merlin
mi-28
Polikarpov I-15/153
Tu-22M3
B-52 Stratofortress
B-47 Stratojet
T-62

Assorted cruise and anti ship missiles

Yes it is a long list and as mentioned I do not expect to cover all but at the same time several of them have had some work done.
Also chances are models not making it this month will carry over to the next so I really do not mind.
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

That`s quite a list indeed. It would be cool if the Mi-28 or Tu-22 would make it.

Btw, if possible, when you make the CV90 please leave some room in the texture for a potential LvKv 90:
http://www.military-today.com/artillery/lvkv_90.htm
There seem to be minimal changes apart from the cylinder which I`m guessing houses the radar.
number47
General

Post by number47 »

How time consuming would it be to make T-72 without ERA blocks? :D
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

Nerei wrote: B-52 Stratofortress
Not sure if you`re aware btw, but vanilla has a B-52 (unit ID 86). Not that I`m a fan of it since it`s one of its oldest graphics I think.

I`ve been thinking about the dismounted infantry graphics (the discussion has been on and off for a while now). I`m not sure it`s realistic to expect infantry units even for most styles of equipment, let alone for most countries. It would result in some really long lists of units in the equipment file and it would all get mixed up in game. Not to mention the effort of making all the graphics. Of course, if you feel like making whatever nation`s infantry go for it, but I think what would actually be quite a step forward is just two figures:
- a Western version of unit ID 2 (in the UGBITS). Choose whatever special forces uniform and equipment you want from a Western country and arm it with something like a H&K G36.
- a Western equivalent of unit ID 1. The kneeling figure used for airborne elite. This could be used for other things like rangers and modern mountain infantry. Again, some Western uniform and an M4 carbine perhaps.
Just an idea of course.

Return to “Modding Show & Tell”