3D modelling

Post mods you have finished or are working on here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

MK4
Colonel
Human: Yes

Re: 3D modelling

Post by MK4 »

Awesome!
The shkh Dana is mostly done. I have tried to adjust the colouring of the angled plating a bit to help fake lightning on them make them stand out. There is also fake shadows around the turret amongst others and I have tried to make some colour difference between the chassis and turret.
It looks quite convincing. Can`t wait to see it in game.
I have decided that if I have the time I would rather use it on getting the mi-28 finished rather than a camouflage pattern that might never be seen.
I agree. Are you planing to finish the Mi-28 with the current batch of units or leave it for next month?
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Hard to say really. If the mi-28 is ready then it will be included and if not it will naturally not be. It really depends on how much time it, the Su-34 and Cougar takes me to finish. The Dana and the rest just needs to be checked in-game and possibly tweaked a bit to be ready.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

The Cougar actually is taking quite a bit of time so the mi-28 probably will not make it. Admitted it is probably largely down to my desire to make a scratched, beat up Cougar held together by duct tape but I will just ignore that fact.

I recommend ignoring the colouring on the wheels as I have yet to adjust them. Also ignore the red and glitching on the gunners shield that is the render engine messing things up and I cannot be bothered to fix it right now.
Also yes I will have both a tan and green version though the tan version probably will just be an included optional texture.
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

I can`t believe you`ve managed to pack so much detail into this one! With the risk of repeating myself, awesome unit!

Might be a bit too early, but do you have a broad idea of what units you want to make the next month? (yes, I know lists can change :-) )
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

I do not really have a list for next month. I have a list of models that have had some work put into them that I want to make some effort of completing. This however can be anything from most pre-meshing work being done to having started on texturing. The list might actually not be complete as I sometimes forget to add to the master list from which I have taken these.
Yes it is a quite long list and I do not expect to be done with it next month or really this year nor do I expect solely to work on it until it is done.
I will also keep the 3 monthly units.

Nagato post 1930's refit
Hiraga 1928 treaty battleship design
A-150 original 30+kn 85-90.000 tonne concept.
Sōryū/Unryū (got models of both that I can adapt but I might only do one of them)
Zuihō
Kagerō
Tachibana
Takao
Myōkō
Tone
Tenryū
Kitakami (post torpedo cruiser conversion)
Sendai
Agano
Mogami

Ki-32
Ki-44
Ki-51
Ki-84
Ki-93
Ki-100
A5M
A6M
G-5N1
G-8N1
P1y Ginga
Me P1100/99
Me P1085

Type 97 Chi-ha Shinhoto
Type 95 Ha-Go
Type 5 Chi-ri
Type 1 Ho-Ni 1
Type 2 Ka-Mi
Type 5 Na-To

USS Iowa 1980's config
USS Intrepid (SCB-27C + SCB-125)
USS Midway (SCB 110)
USS George Washington SSBN-598
USS California
USS Long Beach
USS Oliver Hazard Perry
Vikramaditya
Type 001 Aircraft Carrier
Sovremenny (PLAN version)
JDS Ayanami
JDS Takatsuki

Type 60 recoilless.
Type 75 MRL
Merkava 4 with trophy
Namer APC
M48A2
T-14 Armata
Marder IFV
CV90
T-62
T-80
Arjun I
M-109
K-9
K-21
K-200

Mig-17
Mig-19
Mi-28
B-70
B-47
B-52
B-1
Tu-22M3
Tu-160
XF-108 Rapier
Mig-31
F-22
F-35
SH-3 Sea king
number47
General

Post by number47 »

My suggestions :D (I know some were mentioned before):

APC/IFVs
-BTR-82
-AMV Patria

Anti-Air
-SA-6 Gainful
-SA-13 Gopher
-Crotale
-Patriot

Tanks
-Arjun Mk2
-Leopard 1
-Challenger 1
-AMX-30B2

Airplanes
-Mirage 2000 B/C
-Rafale
-J-22 Orao (IAR-93-Vultur)
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Do not worry about bringing up something again. Unless I have outright rejected it I am open to do it but it might disappear in this now fairly long topic.

There should already be a Dassault Rafale in the July package. That said I can definitely say that some of these are not unlikely to be made.
I will add a MIM-104 Patriot to the monthly list together with the Su-27 and M1126/1128 Stryker (I plan to do both) assuming I can get the half finished truck model I have of it finished with a decent tris count (wheels tends to add up). If that fails I will pick something else from your list.
That is not to say I might not do multiple next month. I am also fairly partial for the AMX 30 and Mirage it just means I am very likely to get at least one of them done.
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

I`d also be very interested in a Patriot. Now that we have a nice S-300 it`s a pity not to have a proper Patriot especially considering the large - and still growing - user base. In that sense I`m quite surprised you haven`t made it already since it`s also being used by Korea and... Japan.

Speaking of lists... just asking: do you think the CV90 will make it for the next (August) batch? I haven`t wished for it (recently) as it was already on a short list (of some sort :-) ).
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

I cannot really say for certain when the CV-90 will be finished. Hopefully in August but I am not going to make any promises.

I was actually going to add a patriot but it ended up being cut due to the time it would take to finish it and I wanted to get the Japanese models done. After that I pretty much completely forgot about it. Like I said in the deepest, darkest pits of my HDD there lurks a fairly large collection of incomplete models and frankly I do not know exactly what models are there.

Also for those curious I am not swapping to building great war models anytime soon. For starters I have a backlog I want to clear.
That said I honestly really do not like the aesthetics of the majority of the hardware of the time so I will probably stick with more modern equipment even past that point.

Finally I have finished up both the Su-34 and Cougar 6x6.
The generic version is mainly just grey.
And the Cougar in both green and tan.

Also here is some of the models I hope to cover of the next few months
Yes they are very much in varying stages of completion.
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

I cannot really say for certain when the CV-90 will be finished. Hopefully in August but I am not going to make any promises.
Then I hope you`ll keep the wishlist system so I can wish for it at some point. Incidentally, what do you use in game for IFVs? If you`re not Japan I mean.

The Cougar is a work of art. I`m not gonna ask how much time went into it. :-) Love the Su-34 too! Thank you for making them!
Also here is some of the models I hope to cover of the next few months
What`s the one at bottom left?
number47
General

Post by number47 »

MK4 wrote:What`s the one at bottom left?
Looks like patriot to me :D
And the bottom right....Aster 30? HUH Though aster has 8 rockets and the truck looks german :D

EDIT: Nasams maybe?
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

My plan is for the wishlist to stay.

As for the bottom left model it is a patriot on a semi-trailer. Also except for the battleship it is the unit with the highest tris count at roughly 1465 but being a semi trailer with a lot of wheels that is almost to be expected. The launcher itself is fairly isolated on the UV map so installing it on another model like a MAN KAT1 should not be that hard.

I do not remember how the truck and trailer are compared to each other so it might be harder to replace the truck with a US model. The truck model is the Japanese setup though I also picked it over the US as it is a simpler model and should keep the tris count lower (e.g. the US variant has 9 wheels the Japanese 7 which alone is a fairly noticeable difference).

The other SAM unit is a Type 03 Chū. Yes it is Japanese. A golden rule with me is if you cannot identify something check if it is Japanese. if that does not turn up anything check the PRC, ROC and ROK ^_-.
For the record the truck it is based on is also Japanese.
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

As for the bottom left model it is a patriot on a semi-trailer. Also except for the battleship it is the unit with the highest tris count at roughly 1465 but being a semi trailer with a lot of wheels that is almost to be expected. The launcher itself is fairly isolated on the UV map so installing it on another model like a MAN KAT1 should not be that hard.
I see... it did not match my perception of it in terms of cabin and number of wheels.
http://www.military-today.com/missiles/patriot_pac2.htm
http://www.military-today.com/missiles/patriot_pac3.htm
Looks fabulous though. Keep it as it is.
The other SAM unit is a Type 03 Chū. Yes it is Japanese. A golden rule with me is if you cannot identify something check if it is Japanese. if that does not turn up anything check the PRC, ROC and ROK ^_-.
I would have checked the Japanese, but I wasn`t aware they had something like this developed locally. :P

It looks cool too.

About the patriot though: could we have that in the deployed stance as well?
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

It will be in a roughly 45 degree deployed position. I just model it in that position so I can better use Mayas automatic UV projection with as little distortion as possible. Having this in travel position does this far better than locked in launch position.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

I might have a slight delay with the latest batch of unit models as I will not be much at home and ideally I need my desktop to actually get them working in-game. It might still be August 1st. but it might only be somewhere in the Pacific Ocean.

Also quick question. I have been digging around my HDD and came across these 3 soldiers I made what feels like eons ago. Are they worth going forward with and should I try and put higher priority on infantry?
Originally I ended up stopping work on them as I was trying to keep them below 700 tris but I never really like the result of particularly the face but going back to them and adding more details (raising the tris count to around 1K) I think I might make something that I am more satisfied with.
Note the US 2nd infantry division soldier still needs some texture work. Also yes they are in T-pose I always mode characters like that and no they will not remain that way.

Return to “Modding Show & Tell”