3D modelling

Post mods you have finished or are working on here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Nerei
General
Human: Yes

Re: 3D modelling

Post by Nerei »

Here is a collection of all models I have released so far. I have not checked if I have made any mistakes with patches and the like but so there could be issues but I think it should work.
download

Note: There is nothing new in this rar file. It is only everything in one place.
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

The new T-90 looks awesome!
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

The detailing on the T-90A is mostly done. It still needs some fake lighting, AO as well as some camouflage patterns naturally. Chances are also I will find something else to correct along the way.
I am currently planning to cover regions QRXZ

Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

A bit more work done on the T-90.

I intend to have the Shtora turned off on the Q and Z variants. The projectors will still be there but without the bright red glow they should be less noticeable.
Also Z camouflage pattern is not done yet and I still have to start on the X.

I was thinking of using something like the pattern on the top left M36 in the picture below for region group X. It should be different enough to be noticeably a different pattern and it is not specifically a post-Yugoslavia pattern.
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Yugoslavia used single tone "olive" green for all its equipment...the camouflage patterns were used by successor states during the '90s wars but "mostly" abandoned afterwards so single tone green would be best for X region...
ere are examples of croatian and serbian M-84 tanks

And here is an example of Yugoslav equipment

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
number47
General

Post by number47 »

How does regional texture works? You have to make one for each unit you intend to have that variant?
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

The Yugoslavian olive green is fairly close to what I already have as generic texture. It does not look like there is that many specific markings either. The question is if I should pick something fancy from any of the Yugoslavian successor states to make things more varied. There are actually some quite interesting camouflage patterns if Tank-encyclopedias patterns are anything to go by
number47 wrote:How does regional texture works? You have to make one for each unit you intend to have that variant?
You mean for say an Arab/Pakistan texture set for both the T-72 and T-90. Yes I have to make each of those individually. I could in theory just get a standard pattern from a generator and apply it as lowest layer in photoshop but that is going to look bad. I would rather do it right and use more time getting there than make a compromise like that.

I can however reuse all the non-camouflage details so it is not like I make the T-90 from scratch for each regional texture. For the T-90 the green vehicle is basically a base I can draw camouflage patterns onto.
That is one of the differences between the early vehicles I made and say the T-90. Making additional camouflage patterns is far, far easier.
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Nerei wrote:The Yugoslavian olive green is fairly close to what I already have as generic texture. It does not look like there is that many specific markings either. The question is if I should pick something fancy from any of the Yugoslavian successor states to make things more varied. There are actually some quite interesting camouflage patterns if Tank-encyclopedias patterns are anything to go by
If you are set on making a pattern camouflage for region X, I'd rather it is not existing pattern currently used by any successor state...it would kill the immersion
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

That is actually why I was looking for something Yugoslavian. I would prefer say Serbian tanks not using Croatian or Slovenian patterns and vice versa but at the same time not everyone using olive green is also nice especially as these models are fairly decent representations for say M84 tanks.

I am very open to suggestions. The only thing is I would prefer it not being too close to some of the patterns I already have used.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Most of the detailing on the chassis is done for the CV9040.
The turret naturally has basically no work done so there is still some work left and the entire vehicle needs some grime and fake shadows, lighting, AO etc.
This is rendered only with ambient lighting so it should be more representative of what models look like in-game.
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Nerei wrote:That is actually why I was looking for something Yugoslavian. I would prefer say Serbian tanks not using Croatian or Slovenian patterns and vice versa but at the same time not everyone using olive green is also nice especially as these models are fairly decent representations for say M84 tanks.

I am very open to suggestions. The only thing is I would prefer it not being too close to some of the patterns I already have used.
Use olive green as a base and add brown and black "patches" as you see fit :D
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

Nerei wrote:Most of the detailing on the chassis is done for the CV9040.
The turret naturally has basically no work done so there is still some work left and the entire vehicle needs some grime and fake shadows, lighting, AO etc.
It looks great! I`ve been wanting one for such a long time that it`s gonna be quite emotional to see it in game. :-)

What`s up with the radar radom though? Do you plan to make the AA version first and then delete that detail to obtain the regular CV9040B?
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

It is generally easier to remove parts of a model than adding them. I might not have the space for the radome if I where to add it once the model is done.
In this case it was not really much of an issue but if it was say a Namer going from a RWS to a full IFV turret it could easily be.
DasVivo
Warrant Officer

Post by DasVivo »

Hello!

First of all, excellent models it definitely provides a breath of fresh air to the game visually that gives a little flavor after playing it so long :).

I have a question - how exactly do you implement or intend to implement the different color schemes for units?

For example the T-90 you have multiple color schemes created - how does this work in game? Does that mean we'd have seperate 'Techs' for different units Eg: a seperate unit entry and thus model for country code Q versus country code R? Or is there some other method?

I have been playing a game of Supreme Ruler now for quite a while, I haven't yet restarted as its a lot of invested time but I'm very eager to take advantage of these units, albeit I'm hesitant to do so as I don't want to have to or be tempted to restart as soon as the latest work you've done is released! Catch 22 of looking forward to something I guess :)

Having looked through the work you have done so far, I cannot help but notice you have focused in many different areas and themes. I understand for you as a modeler and someone sharing your work this may be more based upon a personal passion or interest than anything else so I certainly cannot and do not want to tell you what to do but as a thought I did wonder - might it add more to the game to focus mostly on say a few 'Core' units first and fore most?

For example, whilst an Armata or Japanese Type-90 Tank might be nice to have they are globally and at least in the Type-90s case visually insignificant IMHO versus that of some other equipment the game might be more sorely lacking, eg: a good Leclerc model for example, that would likewise be less important than having a good T-72 Model (or a stand in for the T-72) due to relevant fleet Numbers and Operators globally...

On this level I was thinking for minimal work but maximum impact I guess upgrades of the game for the most widespread and/or visually distinct and still significant units might provide the best 'bang for buck' in improving the game. For example a seperate T-54/55 model or M48/M60 would be more useful than say a seperate model for the Maus due to the numbers produced and the number of states operating them. Likewise a seperate Los Angeles Class Submarine or Akula would be more important than say a Sea Wolf due to the numbers produced, as might MiG-29, F-15's over say F-14s or say a Su-35S due to sheer volumes produced and operators (In the former case dozens and the latter case two states respectively)

In the same vein obviously a few 'Flavor' units can be produced and act as not exact but stand ins for many other units in the game due to vague but comparatively better similarities than we have at current... An example might be the S-300PMU1 that you created can easily be used temporarily to upgrade others such as S-350, S-400, S-500 etc and others more closely shaped than say the legacy Battlegoat Models, likewise a good even if 'Generic' T-54 could cover T-54/55 variants Chinese Type 59s, 62s, 69s, Ramses II etc... Which means half the worlds tanks in game probably get a visual upgrade from the current form.
Likewise a good MRAP Unit could probably cover quite a few MRAPs in reality which the game may lack

Again though I understand your interest may be quite different and simply motivated to distinct projects and interests which is most fair and hell I'm not going to complain about what you're doing for this game! But I thought it couldn't hurt to mention this or see/hear your thoughts as god knows you'll be hear till the end of times if covering every single variant :P...

Cheers! (Also pretty happy to help in regards to forming a list of most prolific 'types' in associated generational blocks and perhaps with some visually distinct 'flavor' pieces included if it helps)

Thanks again for your efforts
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Most of the models are included with the base game although you might have to enable them yourself. The only ones not part of it from what I can tell is the latest package (not the combined one although it does contain everything).
The next set of models might be a few weeks off. After that expect some months without additional content. I have currently delayed my other 3D projects to get the next set of models done.

As for what models I make I tend to pick based on what countries I play or what people ask for.
Personally most of my knowledge about military hardware tends to relate to east asian armies and I usually play 2017/2020 Japan, ROK, PRC and ROC in roughly that order so that tends to affect what models I make. Not that I have had that much time to play for the last 9 months or so. Most of my Supreme ruler time have been making models or testing them.

That is the reason why there is not just a Japanese Type-90 but also a type 60, 61, 73 (Shīn), 74, 87 RCV, 87 SPAAG, 89, 96, 99, 10 and 16 model ^_-
In total I probably made around 55 models with some relation to the modern JSDF.

Many of the other models tend to originate from requests. The T-90 and T-72 are both cases of that.

I do have a F-15, T-55 and a few other models you mention and others like the M-48 (A3 I think) have been left in a state of being half completed for some time as other models keep taking its spot. I know some of the models I have made are not be widely used. Some of them are not even in the base (un-modded) game.
Also a few like the T-55 could do with a makeover like the T-72 is to some extend getting.

The different textures for say the T-90 will simply be assigned to different regions. E.g. a Russian T-90's will use the green, white and black texture while Indian vehicles will use the green and yellow texture. The game handles this automatically based on the name of these files. There is no need for multiple entries or tech levels and the models will automatically switch if say Russia where to sell a T-90 unit to India.
Really it is just something that adds variety to the different models. Assigning these models to units is no different than models without regional textures as long as you do not rename model or texture files.

The most extreme case of me using regional textures is probably my F-104 Starfighter that comes with 6 sets of regional textures.

You are welcome to make suggestions for new models. As long as they have some feasibility I will consider doing them (e.g. not vehicles like the P 1000 Ratte but prototypes and the like are fine even if they are paper projects).
Just keep in mind I need to be able to find some good reference material to properly make them. Ideally some orthographic views as pictures alone while possible tends to result in the models taking longer to make.
If they are common vehicles though chances of there being drawings or model kit painting references are quite good though.

I cannot however make any promises on any timeframe for completion of models. This is a hobby project after all and they do tend to take a good deal of time to make even with the best of references.

Also feel free to bring up models multiple times. I cannot promise I can remember all suggestions made months ago and given the time it takes to make these it might be months between it being suggested and I start working on it. Considering this topic is approaching 600 replies even if I look through it chances are I might miss something.

I hope I covered everything. If not just let me know ^_^

Return to “Modding Show & Tell”