NATO Counters?

Post mods you have finished or are working on here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

macgregor
Corporal
Human: Yes

NATO Counters?

Post by macgregor »

I've seen some apparently dead threads. Has the question been answered already? It looks like there was a mod, but the links are dead. If there's a way I can get nato counters for the game, someone please tell me.
evildari
Brigadier Gen.

Re: NATO Counters?

Post by evildari »

you could simply add a flat mesh, texture it with the counter you like, redefine the DEFAULT.PICNUMS files to use your meshes.
But since i cant find some kind of NO-rotations flag in that file, your counters will also rotate.
Also you wont see higher echelons in those counters since each single unit will be represented and drawn over.
At even higher level, just a flag is shown (dont remember if that behaviour can be switched / changed)
At higher zoom you see just colored points.
my mods
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=25932 (even techs and units for everyone - AI will own you too)
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=29326 (MARSX2)
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

The mod in question is this one (link) from 2011, right?

If so you can find it on moddb (link)

Keep however in mind that this mod was made for Cold War and chances are sandboxes made for a game a few generations back will not work at all.
Also even if it works which I doubt with the way it is made it will only work for 1949.

Beyond that I do not think there are any such mods.

As mentioned you can adjust default.picnums to call different models. It is a quick way to do it but it is also a blanket adjustment. If a model is used for multiple roles you will say get a tank destroyer labelled as a tank or artillery. The alternative however is looking through a 6000 entry unit database though you might be able to do a bit of both.

As for rotation meshtype 3 should make it non-rotating but I have never had any reason to experiment with it so I do not know exactly how it works.
ArthurDesmond
Warrant Officer

Post by ArthurDesmond »

This is something I would like to have myself. Given the sheer overlapping mesh mess of full sized unit models I think smaller NATO tokens would be better looking and more aesthetically pleasing. Or perhaps boardgame style unit tokens like the Blue Mod for Strategic Command WW1, but given the sheer number of unit types this might be prohibitive.

Return to “Modding Show & Tell”