Tips to counter Artillery?

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Klauss Marcellus
Warrant Officer
Human: Yes

Tips to counter Artillery?

Post by Klauss Marcellus »

Sometimes the enemy will stack up some anti-soft artillery and anti-hard artillery on a couple of hexes, making a solid defensive line.
I can't send any land unit there without getting blasted on the way through.

Air Force usually does the trick, but this time the enemy has air superiority, so I can't bomb their arty.

What you guys suggest in this situation?
evildari
Brigadier Gen.

Re: Tips to counter Artillery?

Post by evildari »

i did not read about theater BMD , so here my favorite line:
"Nuke it from orbit to be sure"
my mods
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=25932 (even techs and units for everyone - AI will own you too)
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=29326 (MARSX2)
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Remember to check if the enemy artillery has NBCProt first before going with the nuclear option. If it does your nuclear weapons are about as effective as firecrackers.
In general nuclear weapons are not very effective compared to a good heavy strategic bomber (and with NBCProt it is entirely possible to find some that are 10x as effective) so suiciding some of these might be a decent alternative the the nuclear option.

Also depending on what type of AA defence the enemy has strategic bombers might still be worth considering. Up to the early cold war most AA units have mainly low air attack meaning strategic bombers are resistant to their attacks as strategic bombers remain medium air targets when attacking.

You might also consider trying to find artillery with longer range than what your opponent has and simply pummeling the defending artillery with your own.
Rosalis
Colonel

Post by Rosalis »

Besides above suggestions, you could also try and retreat. Make a defensive line with trenches to take the punches and try to pick them off. Artillery is vulnerable to suply, so if you retreat, they gonna have problems if they dont have enough tanks and infantry. At the same time you can work on getting air superiority. Usually its an invisible line that the ai will try to defend. So if you retreat you gonna disrupt their plans big time.
If thats not enough just defend and take territory somewhere else, for example go arround them. This will prolly pull some units away from the defensive line and in the mean time your defensive units getting xp by being shot.

With the stealth changes in one of the latest patches, the B2 basicly became untouchable to the most modern units in the database, but yeah if you just use Russian units or dont have access yet, this might help. Like i said before tho, air superiority, and you won the war. How to use your airforce is very important or you will just bleed units, well anything above 36 scenario. In 36 i wouldnt use planes or tanks, which gonna be useless next year. Way to expensive and there are tactics arround that. Retreating being one of them and in my opinion the most effective. Invite them where you want instead of banging your head against where they want. You got the suply, you got the infrastructure like barracks and airbases, you should have aa and artillery units entrenched in defensive positions, so many positives. Look up some WW2 tactics, and thats basicly all they did later in the war. Something Hitler only realised when it was already over. Rommel used those tactics tho, despite orders from Hitler to just advance.

In ww1 (and ww2) its just throwing enough men at them, eventually they run out of military goods each day, so i dont really see the problem. You as player should be so smart to exploit that and move in when supplies run out. Hint: why i named motorised infantry in one of your topics. They got the speed to push, kill and retreat for suply. On top of that they heal almost instantly entrenched in a city. Just dont let the ai build up a defensive line.
Klauss Marcellus
Warrant Officer

Post by Klauss Marcellus »

I'm mostly talking about WW1 and WW2 combat, so no nukes, nor stealth bombers.
Retreating being one of them and in my opinion the most effective. Invite them where you want instead of banging your head against where they want
Problem is that the AI is not advancing towards me.
They just hold their invisible line with a bunch of stacks of artillery and AA and remain standing still.

But I need to advance. But if I try to advance they literally obliterate my units in a matter of seconds.
If I retreat they do not advance.

What should I do in this situation?
In ww1 (and ww2) its just throwing enough men at them, eventually they run out of military goods each day
I'm a minor country (Lithuania) fighting Germany in WW2. I don't have much land-production nor population to sacrifice by throwing men at the enemy arty. And even if I do that, my units lose legit like 1/3 of their health in just one single barrage, even the Elite Guards and Marines.
I would run out out of soldiers before the enemy runs out of Military Goods.
Not to mention Germany has a steady production of Military Goods, so they can keep their arty supplied as usual.

What should I do?
If I retreat they don't go after me. And I can't throw enough men at the enemy. And Germany has a steady flow of Military Goods.

What should I do to effectively defeat them?
I could try to maintain the status quo and request a cease-fire, but I can clearly see I can defeat the germans, I just don't know how.
How do I counter artillery under those conditions? I know it is possible
Rosalis
Colonel

Post by Rosalis »

I can believe Lithuania can beat Germany in game. Your regular goals in these topics is to advance, just show to me you dont know how to retreat effectively. And well i cant explain it any better. You kinda have to make your own descisions as a military general need to make their own descisions.
The way i beaten Germany 36 in 1940 (i believe less then 40 units were used);
Invasion in africa to pull some troops from europe.
Invade Sicily and build a defensive line at Rome.
Invade in Greece, after UK invaded Albania. Draw a defensive line in Greece mountains, heres where Germany lost. They send unit by unit against my units in the mountain.
Suported an UK invasion north of Germany, which ment game over.

The only time i had problems against a defensive line was against US 2020, well it was 2030 or something and they had thousands of artillery and AA combined with a stealthy airforce. Sure it takes time, but if you claim that artillery is killing your troops, then you dont retreat effectively. It can happen they dont have interest in your territory, so invade them where it hurts. If you capture a loyal barrack or military complex of the enemy, you can count they will do everything to get it back. Its just trying to lower their numbers so you can get ready for that move. As long you can hold the cities, and scrap complexes you cant hold, well they cant get enough suply.

If Germany in your game has enough military goods, then theres something you can do alot better. Its very expensive to repair units. You dont have to defend other countries, but you can use them to defend a little and bleed Germany. Ofcourse key is to know when to retreat. And if the pile is starting to grow, like they get hit and retreat 1 hex, well have artillery and cut of their path to repair. Every unit you kill you dont have to face in the future.

Return to “General Discussion - SRUltimate”