After the war - Annex? Colonize?

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Antonin
Lieutenant

After the war - Annex? Colonize?

Post by Antonin »

I've been playing the CD version of SR 2020 until very recently, and I notice now in SR Ultimate that after you have conquered a country you can annex them or make them a colony. I think there is a third option, too. I don't remember these options as part of SR 2020. I did a search here on the forum and in the SR wiki, but did not find anything that clarified just what the options are after a conquest and what are the advantages of each.

I also noticed that after a conquest in SR Ultimate (I'm playing Shattered World as Brazil) I have problems with partisans after annexing Argentina and Uruguay. I don't remember such a problem in SR 2020.

Can someone please explain why I should not just annex a country after conquering it? What does it mean to have them as a colony? In SR 2020 I have been used to just absorbing defeated enemies after the war. I then put their military equipment into reserve and give it to other countries as aid.

I have another game going in SR Ultimate as China in the Cold War period, and I see to the west there is a Chinese colony (I forgot what it is called). I'm not sure how to interact with them. It appears that I have diplomatic relations with them the same as with independent countries.
TheCyab6a
Lt. Colonel
Human: Yes

Re: After the war - Annex? Colonize?

Post by TheCyab6a »

colonizing a nation will turn them into a puppet state that will supply you with resources, money or military units whenever you demand them through diplomatic offers and they cannot refuse your requests. declaration of war on you or on another country with a colony with also drag ever colony into that war as well. personally prefer to colonize most nations as I can supply them with units and they will help me in conflicts. really depends on the situation the way I play I don't like to annex all the land in the world I prefer to have a network of puppet states. I only annex areas that I want large swaths of oil/rubber.

basically annexing gives you direct access to the population, industry and military buildings of a nation whereas colonizing puts you in a overlord position to demand from them whatever you want and access to another military force ran by the ai that works independent of your own military but in support of it.
Rosalis
Colonel
Human: Yes

Re: After the war - Annex? Colonize?

Post by Rosalis »

SR2020 gdpc annex rich grow gdpc, annex poor grow gdpc long term. More people available for low wage jobs.

SRU gdpc is locked to the loyal region (no mather the options). So if you annex India, big chance you cant upkeep social expence, but you can puppet them after you annexed them. Colonising India always give me a big boost, but you should rebuild them first or they dont give anything.
On the other hand you have countries like China and India with very low gdpc, (yes China still one of the poorest regions in game), You can colonise regions like US and France so world prices of goods stay high, you could scrap the industry they dont need and you can make sure they dont go bankrupt, but its very hard to go bankrupt in those countries, so yeah they can also provide you with lots of military goods and stuff. Just make sure you scrap 70% of their power. And for Japan, Germany, US, they got way too much synthetic rubber which can bankrupt colonies. Too much industry and they fail, too few and they can also fail, the key is to make them cloose to self sufficient and just be happy with the little surplus they provide. Inflation can get pretty crazy and annexing a big population country with low gdpc can sometimes still help you. Playing China one time my only way out was to colonise US tho. So market prices could rise again and i could get out of a negative flow. You kinda have to see whats going on in your game.

The way you can colonise after annexing. Click hex with first tab. Double click the flag, and you have the same options after you annexed someone.

I also found a trick after you colonised them and you have the option of keeping military facilities, you can still give them back with the release option in battle zones. So for example you can give US back some facilities in the east coast while still holding the west coast.

Rebellions are not something to worry about for you as player, just keep law enforcement at 100% and your fine.

Then theres also the liberate option. I didnt use it for a very long time, but its pretty cool to make the world go communist. You will be surprised how well some countries all of sudden do.

So in short not only the civilian caulties have been visually removed, but also the importance of civilians atleast reduced. The rich stay rich and the poor stay poor, also reflected in unit designs, but thats another topic. How units increase gdpc.. Its up to the player to balance the game or not.

Return to “General Discussion - SRUltimate”