Amphibious Invasion Mechanics

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Tnarg
Colonel

Amphibious Invasion Mechanics

Post by Tnarg »

I have watched the AI successfully launch waves of troops via the transport mechanic for amphibious invasions only to see them decimated en masse once they arrive at a heavily garrisoned/occupied sea pier/port hex. I even saw Taiwan being invaded by China at 3 different ports. So I am curious about the mechanics of that process and if the AI could be nerfed anyway to give them a bit more of fighting chance. I have seen very rarely amphibious units make short lived beach heads as they all landed together, but do not last long as their numbers are never that great compared to the sea transport attacks which require a port to unload.

Couple of ideas:
Use half of the actual units appropriate attack/defense stats. I am assuming that upon landing and an attack begins it is using the transports stats? Maybe this would give that wave of 20 transports a chance to establish a beach head.
Beef up the transports defense stats so it can last a bit longer for the troops to disembark.
Spy Mechanics - A spy with a high defense value could be deployed to a port hex to give the landing units a chance to group and create a beach head.
An instant makeshift port is built by amphibious units/engineers so that the troop transports can disembark at random coastal hexes occupied by the amphibious units instead of the heavily garrisoned/occupied existing ports.

(Of course none of this is realistic, but perhaps it would give the AI a chance to pull off the landing)

Just curious mostly is any of this could be done or modded?
MeatHammer 40k
Sergeant
Human: Yes

Re: Amphibious Invasion Mechanics

Post by MeatHammer 40k »

Tnarg wrote: Jun 07 2019 An instant makeshift port is built by amphibious units/engineers so that the troop transports can disembark at random coastal hexes occupied by the amphibious units instead of the heavily garrisoned/occupied existing ports.
Land units can disembark off of transport ships, the ship that the units are in needs to have the ability to perform an amphibious landing.

However that is still an excellent idea though. If I had the knowledge to make it happen:
-Unload engineer
-Engineer uses supplies from the cargo of the carrier or transport ship to make the beachhead (the beachhead would take the place of a the military complex so you wouldn't have to wait 15 days for the military complex to be completed)
-now land units can load and unload from hex to ship or ship to hex

Definitely throw some cons in there because people will just make beachheads instead of sea piers/ports:
-like draws large amount of supplies/cargo from ships and expensive to make
-unload and loading times take longer per land unit
-doesn't create a supply zone like cities, ports, ect. (if it does it will have a 1-2 hex coverage away but ship with cargo needs to be off shore to supply units
- the desired hex needs to be in your regions control
-takes 1-2 days to complete

I'm sure if it was easy to create that feature it would have been done, or no one has thought of it yet 8)
Snowpig
Lieutenant
Human: Yes

Re: Amphibious Invasion Mechanics

Post by Snowpig »

But why?

If you do some amphibious operation, simply bring engineers and build an industrial/military complex. Then after 15 days you have a spot which starts spreading supply level. Add a pier and you can bring your other transport ships. If the enemy manages to destroy your units/complex in that time, then your preparation was not good enough. Amphibious assaults are meant to be difficult.

Return to “General Discussion - SRUltimate”