Kashmir

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Zome
Sergeant
Human: Yes

Kashmir

Post by Zome »

Why does India have the entire Kashmir region? based on the UN map plus irl statistics one can easily tell that half of Kashmir is under Pakistani Occupation and Administered by Pakistan and also recognized worldwide. South Asia also has some other minor minor mistakes such as Arunachal Pradesh being owned by China. And some missing bridges such as the Bangabandhu Bridge.

Just some constructive criticism.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Re: Kashmir

Post by Balthagor »

The decision on the maps was first made for SR2020, so 10 years ago now. I don't remember how the decision was made.

If you think something should change, please provide sources of information.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Zome
Sergeant

Post by Zome »

Thank you for your response.

Balthagor, give this a read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azad_Kashmir
Basically Kashmir is split into 3 military controlled areas which are
1. Pakistani military occupied Kashmir or Azad Kashmir (recognized by UN)
2. Indian military occupied Kashmir (also recognized by UN)
3. Chinese occupied Kashmir which include Aksai Chin and some Kashmiri lands that were gifted by Pakistan

This map is internationally recognized.
However India claims the entirety of Kashmir which is not internationally recognized and 2/3rd of the claims are controlled by Pakistan and China. I think that the ingame map is a common mistake made by a lot of people due to the Indian claimed Kashmir area and also a lot of people from India criticize games that actually show the UN map instead of the Indian map.

The second "mistake" is Arunachal Pradesh
Arunachal Pradesh is not complicated unlike Kashmir and should be easy to explain.
Arunachal Pradesh is also another disputed territory owned by India but claimed by China, and this is not recognized internationally.

So basically here's what India owns and what the UN uses to represent the country

What Pakistan Owns and what the UN uses to represent Pakistan

What China owns and the map UN uses to represent China

Most maps show territories of Kashmir and Arunachal Pradesh as disputed and doesn't show what countries control them. So I guess that's where the mistake came from.

Minor stuff include:
1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bangabandhu_Bridge
2. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Padma_Bridge
Last edited by Zome on Mar 27 2021, edited 1 time in total.
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

@Battlegoat, while doing this, would you consider adding Khalistan core territories here? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khalistan ... _Khalistan
I think it'd only add more fun to the game, allowing the players, when at war with India (or Pakistan?), to make them release Khalistan as a sovereign state (and thus making them weaker) instead of annexing/colonizing them altogether. I think it might be too much work for just a bunch of people who would ever do it though, so just a thought :)
Buzzbrad
General

Post by Buzzbrad »

Hi everyone,

Thanks for providing this data along with your suggestions. I have tasked this to myself to look into further.
Zome
Sergeant

Post by Zome »

Thanks!
Zome
Sergeant

Post by Zome »

Kristijonas wrote: Sep 12 2018 @Battlegoat, while doing this, would you consider adding Khalistan core territories here? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khalistan ... _Khalistan
I think it'd only add more fun to the game, allowing the players, when at war with India (or Pakistan?), to make them release Khalistan as a sovereign state (and thus making them weaker) instead of annexing/colonizing them altogether. I think it might be too much work for just a bunch of people who would ever do it though, so just a thought :)
Khalistan will be nice but it wont be that realistic HUH
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

I think a just as important thing is going to be the 255 region limit. I am fairly certain the 2017-2020 starts are close to it and from my understanding dead regions counts towards it too.

Khalistan is one of the examples of why it is a bit problematic from a realism standpoint that each hex only supports a single loyalty.
The Punjab province has a majority Sikh population so I guess you can to some extend make the argument for Khalistan. However you can also argue that it is not right for India to get the penalty for non-loyal territory as the area still has a large Hindu population who I would suspect are generally more loyal to India than a Sikh separatist movement and arguably not every Sikh is a separatist either.
Really a proper representation of civil wars and separatist movements (those with any real traction in the population that is) are a bit hard to represent properly with just a single loyalty.
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

Yeah I realize it will probably not be added, just thought it's an interesting thing to suggest.

Also, sorry about that hard-to-comprehend post lol, hadn't slept well that day.
YoMomma
Brigadier Gen.

Post by YoMomma »

Im not to fussed about obsolete regions, if dead regions count towards the 255 that explains some buggy saves i have. Basicly you cant colonise in 2020 then.
Gameplay 1st
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

By the numbers I have heard there is 2 free spots for new regions in 1936. That can only be true if the listed dead regions are counted. Adding up free, dead and colonised regions does add up to something like 253.

I am not sure colonising should be a problem though at least in terms of the number of region ID's. From what I tell the game does not add new ID's to the list just change the existing ones to their new state (e.g. alive to dead or dead to colony).

My guess if the game goes out of bounds with region ID's it will do like it does with meshes or treasury back when it used a 32bit int and roll over so ID 256 becomes 0. That should be easy to spot as it will most likely mean your colony will belong to the UN or your colony will get all of the UN territory. That or the game crashes due to an out of bounds error.
YoMomma
Brigadier Gen.

Post by YoMomma »

Allright but what happens if i colonise Russia, and because Russia was at war with 10 other regions they all get a piece, and because warry AI fail to invest in law enforcement you will get atleast 1 resurection, how many regions is that? 3?
Gameplay 1st
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

YoMomma in your example, nothing changes :) Russian lands controlled by other countries are just the other countries same as before, just with different territorial bounds. Russia remains as 1 country always, whether it exists or whether it is partisan country or a real one.
Zome
Sergeant

Post by Zome »

Buzzbrad wrote: Sep 16 2018 Hi everyone,

Thanks for providing this data along with your suggestions. I have tasked this to myself to look into further.
Hi Buzzbrad,
Have you guys reached a conclusion about this region? Thanks.

Return to “General Discussion - SRUltimate”