Missile question

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Leafgreen
Colonel

Missile question

Post by Leafgreen »

If all missiles are close air, mid air, high are targets - what's the point of ballistic and cruise icons?
"That's O'neill, with two l's"
(Holds up 3 fingers)
Micheal Berg
Captain
Human: Yes

Re: Missile question

Post by Micheal Berg »

What i have seen, is that hardly 1 out of 20 LACM`s will hit a target (19 will be shot down, making LACM pretty much a waste of money), while 19 of 20 SLBM`s will hit (I use conventional Trident SLBM`s to attack land targets successfully)
Leafgreen
Colonel

Post by Leafgreen »

Nobody knows... I assumed that a ballistic missile would be very difficult to intercept because it... well... goes up and down ballistically. But during a test mid-range ballistic missiles are being shot down by ww2 fighters so I am still assuming that the height is what matters - and that being ballistic doesn't mean anything.

Note that WW2 fighters can not even dream of hitting a high air target, and mid range damage is pretty poor on average.

I expected to hear "MC Hammer - U Can't Touch This" but instead all I heard was me doing "Hitler's Rant" from Der Untertang. 1 fired at a time, shot down. 2 fired at a time, shot down. 3 at a time, roughly 25% would make it through a group of WWI and WWII fighters 50 strong to hit their targets. So I am assuming based on the proof I have seen so far that being ballistic means nothing, and only close air/mid air/high air is the deciding factor.

Opposing views?
(Holds up 3 fingers)
Uriens
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Uriens »

Probably best to hear from devs about that. Ballistic missiles tend to be assigned cluster (AOE) effect - but those are separate icons so i have no idea if ballistic, cruise, etc. are just cosmetic or have actual properties assigned to them.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Wait Ballistic missiles can be shot down by world war 2 fighters?!

Except for maybe the first few seconds of the boost phase a ballistic missile is pretty much 100% immune to interception from any such aircraft.

Even a modern interceptor carrying typical anti air missiles will only have a very brief period where it can effectively intercept a ballistic missile as it will quickly go too fast and high even for those.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Leafgreen wrote: Aug 20 2018 If all missiles are close air, mid air, high are targets - what's the point of ballistic and cruise icons?
A quick search of the SupremeWiki turned up this article;

https://supremeruler.gamepedia.com/Miss ... c_Missiles

I didn't re-read to check that it's up to date, but I don't think any of it has changed in years.

Cruise missiles are also discussed on that page.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Leafgreen
Colonel

Post by Leafgreen »

So missiles - cruise or ballistic - are just close air, mid air, high air targets. The difference being ballistic do damage to the entire hex. Got it, ty.
(Holds up 3 fingers)
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Reading a bit on the wiki I saw you list high air as 70.000+ feet. Can I ask why that is?
Really that means you are grouping a Mig-25 flying at 75.000 feet with a LGM-118A Peacekeeper during post boost at 1.500.000 feet.

In general the whole high air targets as implemented seems odd to me as you cannot have say THAAD, S-400 or a RIM-161 SM-3 equipped warship being a proper ABM system without it eating aircraft like the Mig-25's alive as ballistic missiles tend to have far, far high defence stats than aircraft.

Also as a side-note you need to look at those high air attack values as right now there are some odd things like Slava having the best high air attack (more than 10 times higher than Kirov despite their air defences being largely identical) or the F-14 not being capable despite its signature weapon the AIM-54 Phoenix having a flight ceiling of 100.000 feet according to wikipedia.
Warships armed with RIM-161 SM-3 really should also be capable of hitting high air targets as those missiles are capable anti-satellite weapons as proven with USA-193.
YaYo7
Lieutenant

Post by YaYo7 »

1.I noticed that in the game low-flying missiles have very weak capabilities in overcoming even the most "ancient" air defense system. The low-flying missiles(example- us tomahawk's) totally destroyed by ground units.
Developers can pay attention to this and check?
2.I also noticed that ai does not use conventional missiles against buildings!
Perhaps it is worth giving ai some chance to attack the buildings(mostly vs military complexes with air, land, naval fabrications)?

Return to “General Discussion - SRUltimate”