Game option to force wars after x time

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Leafgreen
Colonel

Game option to force wars after x time

Post by Leafgreen »

Every new game is fun at first, you never know who will attack who and how the geo-political landscape will change. Then after a few years there might be a war or two. Then everybody makes peace and there are no more wars. Ever. Just the AI saying 'hey player, why don't you build and research and we'll sit here peacefully until you want to conquer us'.

What if there was a game option that would force a random country to declare war every 4 years? 2 years? Or if country abc has 95% casus belli on their little neighbor xyz, attack them?

Yes, I know there is a cheat that does this. But that's cheating. :D

Just a thought.
"That's O'neill, with two l's"
(Holds up 3 fingers)
Uriens
Brigadier Gen.

Re: Game option to force wars after x time

Post by Uriens »

Increasing volatility helps.

In my experience, with high volatility on shattered world scenario wars start almost at the very start of the game. By the end of few first years you have wars in all continents. By the end of 20 years there is usually only 1 or 2 regions per continent that remain in game.
Leafgreen
Colonel

Post by Leafgreen »

I did a game with that setting and noted every war that happened. That is just insanity, there has to be a middle ground.

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 80&t=25420
"That's O'neill, with two l's"
(Holds up 3 fingers)
SoB
Brigadier Gen.

Post by SoB »

There is the cheat Sadam
You plastic soldiers i will turn you in to real soldiers

CPO Mzinyati
Uriens
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Uriens »

Shattered world specifically has all AI's set to 'Aggressive' so even at low volatility you can still get frequent wars. You can use volatility setting to fine tune war frequency.
evildari
Brigadier Gen.
Human: Yes

Post by evildari »

Use the setting "Unpredictable" - that's quit a nice middle-ground

You can start nice and slow - and diplomacy and trading makes you thing its a new peaceful golden age.
And everyone uses the time to build up forces.
Thenat some point in time something bad happens..
Like France trying to invade Denmark which is allied with the UK - and Spain seizing the chance to conquer France once and for all.
Not to mention the usual crazy things that happens in Asia after some time
my mods
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=25932 (even techs and units for everyone - AI will own you too)
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=29326 (MARSX2)
YoMomma
Brigadier Gen.

Post by YoMomma »

Altho i like the CB system from SR2020 more, the biggest issue i have with the war declarations (besides isolated US) is the peace in Africa sometimes, but i guess i could fix that by editing relations. Besides the AI wars, i find a lack lusture AI against me usually, especially when playing US or Russia.

The volatility setting is pretty much key, leave it on low or none for too long and whole world will have full transit and line of sight treaty, with mutual defence soon to follow. If that happens you are too late and volatility will have no effect. This system can also easily be exploited since you will get mass world approval if they have treaties and you fight their troops in war. If you declare war on that region there is a bug message that there was a proxy war and THEY declared war on YOU.

Personally i find changing every 2 years to what you want is best. Basicly after 5 years everyone with good relations will have treaties this way and relations are more or less intact.

On medium i recently got a very peacefull game and treaties were being slowly formed in my GC2020 mod, but i think that was also because Russia, China and their allies didnt want to loose eachother, i heavily modded the treaties between them. So yeah when they got the treaties medium isnt enough for war declarations, atleast 5 years in my game. I tried to bring the world allive in MP. First US annexed Syria and Iraq, then Serbia annexed 2 regions, Russia annexed Georgia, but nothing happening (besides Iran removing all treaties and embassies with allies :lol: ). AI still find everything perfect or too scared to do anything.. then i needed a break from this game. Treasury isnt the problem, i got everyone out of debt with economy settings from mrgenie and most regions have over 1 trillion with US over 10 trillion. Well 2 exceptions China and India, still having issues with them. I think i totally send 200 trillion from US to Australia to China to try and fix them on normal economy diffiuclty, but have yet to succeed. CB, altho low, isnt the problem either, for example for Iran i suported opposition in US so both got the CB against eachother.
Gameplay 1st
Uriens
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Uriens »

Personally, i would like to have an event that sets global volatility or AI stance. That way we can set a world at peace for an 'x' amount of years and then have an event that would change the world into a very volatile place (in a way starting a random world war).
way2co0l
Brigadier Gen.

Post by way2co0l »

Uriens wrote: Jul 27 2018 Personally, i would like to have an event that sets global volatility or AI stance. That way we can set a world at peace for an 'x' amount of years and then have an event that would change the world into a very volatile place (in a way starting a random world war).
It can be done through events and I plan to do something like this for my mod.

As an alternative option for the OP, I'd encourage you to look into changing game settings through the game. It sounds like you're happy with your existing settings for the early game already, so just keep going with that and then increase the volatility settings as the game goes on. No, you don't get the full effect of it that you would if you started with the setting at game start, but unless I'm totally mistaken, it still magnifies future diplomatic effects so while CB will start to drop resulting in fewer wars, and it'll still be low when you change the volatility in the settings, it'll start to increase again until it gets to a point where wars will begin to happen once again. How long it will take to see results will likely just depend on your timing for the changes, but I believe it should work given enough time.
Uriens
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Uriens »

way2co0l wrote: Jul 27 2018 It can be done through events and I plan to do something like this for my mod.
Yeah, but only for one region at the time. I'm asking to change stance globally for all nations with single event. I did try to use events to change stance and 'volatility' by changing individual stances between regions and ended up with over 30000 events. Weirdest thing is that it actually worked (they were kicking in about 2 years after the start of the game).
I don't think there is an event to change volatility setting with events though, only through create game options, parameter in .scenario file and using ctrl+shift+S to change it during game. Using event could be a great tool for a modder to easily change the pace of the game if some conditions happen, like forming of a new region, some other global event, etc. Using 30000+ lines is not really something i plan to do again, took a while to actually make them.

Return to “General Discussion - SRUltimate”