AI question.

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Re: AI question.

Post by Balthagor »

If you're posting about SR2010, the fact that we're in the SRU section confused me. Apologies if I'm out of context.

Since SR2010 is more than ten years old know, I don't remember what it was capable of.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Damian WSD
Sergeant

Post by Damian WSD »

No problem friend.
Just it is a topic about AI problems from wery wide approach. Additionaly i wery like specially SR 2010.
Jesus, my Lord, is my best way to live in thrue happiness.
way2co0l
Brigadier Gen.

Post by way2co0l »

Yeah, it's confusing because it sounds like you're asking about how Ultimate's AI holds up and using 2010 as a frame of reference. I've personally played every version of the game except 2010 so unfortunately I can't tell you how it compares to that specifically. What I can say is that Ultimate provides for a gaming experience you can't find anywhere else. It has its issues for sure, but you simply won't find another game that offers what Ultimate does. I'd say that when it comes to the AI specifically, that one of this games greatest strengths is also one of its greatest weaknesses. The ability to field such specific military forces down to such a level is just incredible. Where other games typically stick with larger unit sizes such as divisions, this game really lets you customize the makeup of your forces. The downside to this is that it results in the potential for a massive number of units to be in the field at any given time, and when you're running calculations on each and every one of them, it really limits what you can do in terms of strategic ability. For the AI to run scripts necessary for it to be aware of it's tactical and strategic needs on any consistent basis would require many many different calculations that can change at any point and would thus require that they be run often. The game was once plagued by really terrible lag issues but they've made HUGE strides in that regard over the years, but the fact remains that any efforts to improve the AI will require scripts and calculations which would undo a lot of that progress and slow down the game tremendously. There's a lot that I wish the AI could be made to do better, but I have to understand that the simple scope of the game will limit a lot of what can reasonably be done.

Return to “General Discussion - SRUltimate”