Suggestion for benchmarking SRU

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.
Human: Yes

Suggestion for benchmarking SRU

Post by Kristijonas »

Heya, I got an idea. How about we do a benchmarking of SRU to determine which hardware is best to run it ? I'm particularly interesting to see results of 2-4-6-8 core CPUs and hyperthreading on vs off.

We would have to lay down very specific conditions so they would be the same among all computers - same settings, same camera location, same start date, same running time. Simply a count of days per time would be enough I suppose.
number47
General

Re: Suggestion for benchmarking SRU

Post by number47 »

Kristijonas wrote: May 21 2018 Heya, I got an idea. How about we do a benchmarking of SRU to determine which hardware is best to run it ? I'm particularly interesting to see results of 2-4-6-8 core CPUs and hyperthreading on vs off.

We would have to lay down very specific conditions so they would be the same among all computers - same settings, same camera location, same start date, same running time. Simply a count of days per time would be enough I suppose.
That's easy...we can benchmark it like we did many times before. Who want's to participate in the benchmark, downloads a predetermined savefile and runs it for a agreed time without doing anything...that way the results should be comparable
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

That's right! Plus the settings would have to be comparable as well. So, anyone up to it? I would propose starting when the new update comes out.
number47
General

Post by number47 »

What settings are you referring to? Screen resolution?
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

If this does go ahead I almost want to try and get my 2007 laptop to run SRU just to see if it really does play decently. Yes it does meet all the recommendations as vague as they are.
I might also have a Geforce 6200 somewhere that I can test. Yes that is DirectX 9.0C compatible.

Yes that is a dig at the vagueness of the Steam storepage.

Seriously this might be a good idea to establish a lower end for when the game is actually going to run acceptably as right now the storepage does say ancient hardware that most definitely is not going to do well is going to be just fine.
number47 wrote: May 21 2018 What settings are you referring to? Screen resolution?
My guess with regards to settings would be things like toggle Fog of War and Line of Sight ranges as that should have a noticeable effect on performance.
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Nerei wrote: May 21 2018
number47 wrote: May 21 2018 What settings are you referring to? Screen resolution?
My guess with regards to settings would be things like toggle Fog of War and Line of Sight ranges as that should have a noticeable effect on performance.
But that would all be pre-set in the savegame file. Anyone that wants to participate in the benchmark should just download the file, press play, and take notes...
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

I was just assuming it was about what those settings should be.
It would also be more relevant if you instead of using a save file just stick with say 2020GC. 2020 out of the box is more than enough to stress test say most airmont, goldmont or similar chipsets which is not really that old or uncommon and probably more relevant than how an i7 8700K manages.

Screen resolution will probably not tell much unless we are talking about a fairly low end graphics card and even then it is going to be down to how much is on screen also which there are better ways to test than this.
That said I would say it should be done in 1440x900 as that is the lowest recommended resolution and we want consistent results on this we should stick with lowest denominator.

Return to “General Discussion - SRUltimate”