Weather Kills Air Units?

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Anthropoid
Colonel
Human: Yes

Weather Kills Air Units?

Post by Anthropoid »

Couple times now I've had about half dozen aircraft disappear as I was moving them from Berlin to an airbase closer to Danzig. This is Jan 1939.

I heard some "sploosh" explosion noises. The 6 Bf 109s and 5 Stukas I was moving were reduced to about 2 Bf 109s and 3 stukas.

So, I'm guessing this is "weather effects" killing these units?

Annoying to say the least. NOT a feature I would have wished for.

Assuming I am correct on this and it is weather killing air units, lets talk about how unrealistic that is. An entire squadron of Bf109s take off and fly to a based that is less than a third of their endurance range away. Do I get any warning at all about "harsh weather?" Nope, none.

So the entire squadron, four of them in fact! Just flew RIGHT into a blizzard and all died. We're not talking one or two aircraft lost and a couple of other damaged, we're talking several WHOLE squadrons decimated. |O
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Re: Weather Kills Air Units?

Post by GIJoe597 »

I am unaware of weather affecting range of any unit. What I have seen is planes running out of fuel and crashing when they should not.

Can you load a save prior to the event and watch closely?
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

Weather affects movement speed of air units which is somewhat wrong.
On the other hand, if you sen aircrafts into the snow blizzard, losses are something to be expected.
Please teach AI everything!
Anthropoid
Colonel

Post by Anthropoid »

GIJoe597 wrote:I am unaware of weather affecting range of any unit. What I have seen is planes running out of fuel and crashing when they should not.

Can you load a save prior to the event and watch closely?
Okay that is what I will do.

I seem to recall aircraft flying on suicide missions (too far for their fuel load or capacity) never being a problem before though? Perhaps I'm just remembering wrong, or else I need to have an air unit "Initiative Setting" higher than none?
Anthropoid
Colonel

Post by Anthropoid »

It must have been fuel, perhaps exacerbated by the fact that winter weather causes "slower movement" thus more fuel consumption per tile.

I had wondered if the fact I had recently unreserved some of them mattered. They show a distinct color immediately after becoming active, but that must reflect efficiency because they were all topped up in supplies and fuel when I unreserved.

In order to be sure that the "recently became active" effect was not accounting for it, I waited about 10 days and moved seven air units to Stolp and then waited another couple days and did the test on about 21 Jan 1939.

I had 3 Bfs and 4 stukas at Stolp the German airfield closest to Danzig on the Berlin side. With Initiative set to Low (instead of none) and with "DO NOT CROSS NEUTRAL" (both Poland and Danzig are still "neutral") I sent the 4 stukas and 3 Bf109s to the airfield at Pillau. Their path sent them around the small projection of Polish and Danzig territory. I selected one of the Bfs so I could watch the fuel. They got 4 or 5 hexes along the way, then headed back toward Stolp and ran out of fuel and blew up before they returned.

Now here is the thing: using the ruler tool, it is 96km from Stolp to the closest sea hex just outside the northwestern corner of the Polish border region. From there it is a straight traverse of 144km to Pillau. That comes to 240km.

The total endurance of the Bf109 unit in the game is listed as ~640km, so clearly SOMETHING is "amiss." Meaning: it still don't quite make sense to me. It may be Working as Designed alright, but I don't get why it would work that way.

Only thing I can guess is that winter weather causes more fuel consumption per hex?

I am using ONE mod: evildari's "remove roads and rails" mod, but unless he snuck in some code that he hasn't told (which I do not suppose he did! :P ) all that mod does is use an alternative .hapx user-interface file in which he has configured the remove road/rail function from the map editor so that it functions in game.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

savegame?
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Anthropoid
Colonel