Polish Lithuanian Commonwealth attempt gone horribly wrong

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Cdiplayer
Colonel
Human: Yes

Polish Lithuanian Commonwealth attempt gone horribly wrong

Post by Cdiplayer »

Greetings fellow Supreme Rulers! I have just stopped playing a multiplayer game with myself as Poland and a friend as Hungary in the 2020 sandbox. Our goal was to reform the Kingdom of Hungary, and the Polish Lithuanian Commonwealth and help each other along the way. First, we allied Central Europe, the Nordic countries, Spain, Portugal, the UK, the US, Japan, and South Korea. Then we set about deciding who to conquer first. My friend, who only has a few hundred hours in Supreme Ruler, chose to conquer slowly and focus on taking Northern Serbia first.

As for me, being the strategic "genius" that I am with 3000 hours in Supreme Ruler, I decided that on March 22nd 2020, my 25th birthday, I would launch a glorious offensive against Russia, Lithuania, Belarus, and Ukraine all at once! I launched my offensive...and got bogged down at the pre war borders. For a year and a half I fought desperately to hold the line against my enemies, and finally, reinforcements arrived from America.

With the Americans helping me I was able to launch an offensive towards Vilnius and force a peace settlement with Lithuania. Then, I drove on Minsk and took the city in a matter of weeks. Afterwards, Belarus surrendered and the Russian army began flooding into the eastern part of the country. Over the next 6 months I gradually withdrew from Belarus while my ally in Hungary executed a lightning campaign to reconquer Hungary's lost territories. He even declared war on Ukraine, blitzed Carpatho Ukraine in a few days, and then signed a ceasefire with them.

However, while we were busy fighting in the east, a new enemy was rising in the west, France. France declared war on our ally Spain, but not willing to risk war with another nation over Spain we let it slide. Then France attacked neutral Switzerland, again, no big deal. Then they attacked our ally Austria. This was an unacceptable provocation. My ally Hungary declared war on France which spurred the UK, Belgium, the Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Italy, and the USA to declare war against France.
Unfortunately, our alliance has been severely weakened by 2 years of war, and so it looks as though the French will roll right over us. AI Germany and Italy are foolishly sending what few units they have forward to get slaughtered rather than attempting to form a defensive line, and the UK is not even attempting to defend the chunnel.
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Re: Polish Lithuanian Commonwealth attempt gone horribly wrong

Post by Kristijonas »

Wow you guys suck lol.

I played as Belarus in 2020 myself and recreated Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth quite easily.
evildari
Brigadier Gen.

Post by evildari »

a good lesson that a plan usually does not survive the contact with reality - even if its "gaming" reality XD
(i wonder how the Belarus AI in one of my old games managed to do that...)
my mods
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=25932 (even techs and units for everyone - AI will own you too)
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=29326 (MARSX2)
Anthropoid
Colonel

Post by Anthropoid »

Just some thoughts
1. Combined arms stacks:
a. Infantry Brigade (general purpose)
1 INF, 1AT, 1ARTY, 1AA (minimum for non-mounted, can supplement with additional arty or inf as necessary or add a RECCE.

b. Armored Brigade (general purpose)
1 ARM, 1 MAA (mobile), 1 MOT for armor brigades, can add RECCE, additional ARM or even ARTY, however I prefer to setup my self-profelled ARTY like so:

c. Motorized Artillery Brigade (general purpose)
1 MOT/light ARM, 1 MAA, 5MARTY

for assault stacks that have higher range arty and stay behind the main line of engagement

d. Assault Artillery Brigade
1 INF (or MOT), 1AA, 5ARTY (or MARTY)

Battlegroups are tedious to setup and label but if you use them it can save sorting out the messes that inevitably occur later.

You can also experiment with Assault Engineer brigades if you prefer to dismantle fortifications up close and personal instead of bomding them into the stone age with assult artillery stacks

2. minimum frontage is one INF Bgd every third hex along enemies border (two hexes between each). This way they will always "snag" anything that comes "out" in at least one zone of control. Minimum is just the minimum though and much better to have 1.5 to 2 times that configuration of basic infantry frontage coverage (depending on other factors, e.g., SPECOPs and PARA BRIGADES are worth 2 to 3 times as many INF BRIGADES)

3. There are many operational ways to get the most out of your resources when playing against the computer in SR. The most obvious (using pause/slow speed) is almost universally applicable.

The beauty of the SR series design, is that: even though it fails to accurately represent the command and control and organizational structures of militaries, the combat dynamics DO manage to represent some of the key features of warfare: the value of combined arms (including air operations), the value of indirect fire, the importance of terrain, supply and logistics, etc. Airborne and para troops can be surprisingly effective, as long as they are used in high volumes. dropping one or two low-tier para battalions next to a city is suicidal. But dropping 4 or 5 FULL Stacks of para battalions comprising at least 1 AT, 1 ARTY, 1 AA and the rest INF can be incredibly powerful.

Isolating strong points and reducing their effectiveness using standoff attacks (arty or airpower) is also very effective. Using amphib troops to circumvent riverine obstacles another key tactic . . .
Gman
Warrant Officer

Post by Gman »

Some thoughts on your stacks.

Personally, because they allow 7 units to take up the same tile, I use the following stacks....modified slightly due to time start.

2 infantry
1 armor
3 artillery
1 mobile aa
1 transport

I set these 8 units to a group.
I press the “front” forward until I must stop because of supply.
Then, I set the transport to patrol back to a well supplied city until it’s time to go forward again.
That way, 7 units can be on the same tile and get maximum firepower, and the units stay in good supply. In European theatres, these well supplies cities are usually only 25-75 miles away.

That’s the main group.
Secondarily I use

1 infantry
1 engineer
1 recon
1 armor
1 at
1 big artillery
1 aa

This is one for every 3 or 4 of my main...for support...to guard supply lines, flanks, etc. works well for me.

Also, I set aircraft to groups 1-10....only. Easier to do air support that way.

Return to “General Discussion - SRUltimate”