Combat AI - Coincidence or AI finally using coordinated attack pattern?

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Kantismus
Sergeant
Human: Yes

Combat AI - Coincidence or AI finally using coordinated attack pattern?

Post by Kantismus »

Hello Battlegoat,

just out of fresh curiosity:
Did you finally teach your AI on higher military difficulty to use some kind of coordinated attack patterns for AI regions?

I am just asking because i have faced some kind of complex assault in my recent game playing as dem.rep.congo facing the french unification tour in a 2017 sandbox. The French are vastly superior in every single aspect but i have managed to get some decent unit designs and stopped their initial attack in the Congolese jungle, exploiting river crossings and full stacks of green berets. Then after some month of slow progression into Nigeria i only had to deal with french unit production headless sprinkling in, something strange happened. Out of the blue a large amount of Timberwolf and BMR-900 mechanized infantry units + TE-1A MBT + several planes started some kind of timed large front assault operation, temporarily encycling some of my units in towns and really made me worry, if i could manage the situation. Finally i did, lost only a few cold war tanks and had to send my whole Airforce (F/A 18F Super Hornets) to repairs, but felt somehow impressed.

So i am just asking:
Did you add some more complex AI behavior preparing and executing some kind of offensive pattern on a 10-20 hex scale or was it simply some kind of rare weird coincidence with a lot of units coming out of repair + vastly superior unit production (215 vs. 15 Land Production) + rushing units from former french conquests in central asia? Again it looked like AI prepared and executed a multi unit operation but i am not sure it. But i would greatly appreciate such things making AI less stupid, uncoordinated and less predictable to challenge our apelike human brains more :-)

best regards
YoMomma
Brigadier Gen.

Re: Combat AI - Coincidence or AI finally using coordinated attack pattern?

Post by YoMomma »

The areas you mention are known for having very low supply. Im not sure if it should be praised that the AI stacks units there for a 'coordinated attack'.
Gameplay 1st
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

There have been very few big changes to the AI in some time now. Sounds like you got to see what the AI is capable of in the proper circumstances.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

I know this is [_]OT , but does AI now builds new research centers?
If not, some regions needs adding more research centers since AI tends to lag behind in research.
Please teach AI everything!
Kantismus
Sergeant

Post by Kantismus »

YoMomma wrote:The areas you mention are known for having very low supply. Im not sure if it should be praised that the AI stacks units there for a 'coordinated attack'.
Sorry, but i have to correct this. Of Course i am not very proud about stopping the initial french assault in northern Congo rainforests and i utilized low supply to my advantage pretty well. But that was not the situation i have mentioned. The observed uncommon AI behavior occurred while i was slowly grinding up french holdings in Nigeria after exploiting low supply areas.

To be more accurate:
My observation was made in the middle of former Nigeria which is a dense populated and well supplied area in the 2017 sandbox with various big cities, Air bases and tons of towns and villages. France in my opinion was already defeated with single units trickling in as soon as french production made possible. It happened in the coastal area of West Africa somewhere between Lagos in the west and Benin City in the east if you want to know exactly and AI was moving it's units into my front not the opposite. No easy picks in the desert or useless Siberia included.

At this time i simply did not expect any real challenge any more despite the huge economic advantage France still has because i thought i knew how SRU AI usually performs. Then a lot of units rushed into my lines not on a single hex and simultaneously and really made me worry for a short time about my front to break. => totally unexpected situation => made me curious => wanted to ask if latest AI improvements (for example in the latest updates like SRGW) made military behavior more complex and more capable. Again i am sorry, but that unique game experience was the topic of this thread and not familiar dump AI behavior like sending tons of units into worthless territories we all know and hate about this game.
Last edited by Kantismus on Dec 20 2017, edited 1 time in total.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Zuikaku wrote:I know this is [_]OT , but does AI now builds new research centers?
If not, some regions needs adding more research centers since AI tends to lag behind in research.
I don't think it does. Honestly, I can't be totally sure. The draw backs of such a big game developed over so many years.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
YoMomma
Brigadier Gen.

Post by YoMomma »

Kantismus wrote:
YoMomma wrote:The areas you mention are known for having very low supply. Im not sure if it should be praised that the AI stacks units there for a 'coordinated attack'.
Sorry, but i have to correct this..
Allright thats cool, i also noticed some stuff like that. Most likely MAR got low by killing those isolated French units on low supply hexes, so they send their army idle to a place where there are a barrack and Airbase, as soon they gain visual they attack again in a last effort. Which is cool, but a result of sending those units to no supply hexes first.

Besides this, you prolly only see this happen for certain regions. I dont know what is the integer in the modding files, but i noticed France is operating their military different then Russia for example. Do you know what you set the AI at in the options? Defensive? Unpredictable?
Gameplay 1st
YoMomma
Brigadier Gen.

Post by YoMomma »

Zuikaku wrote:I know this is [_]OT , but does AI now builds new research centers?
No never seen AI build research centers and believe me i would have noticed. I always develop other regions in multiplayer. I agree for some regions this is a big issue, but personally i think trading techs between AI might be a better solution. Or even better reinburce the UN, but this time not only unit designs (which was also very good and helpfull when i was starting in this game) but also techs. In an ideal scenario however if regions can support it (big treasury) yeah they should definetely build research centers. You will see some surprising outcomes and even promote developping other regions in MP. Well i cant play without developping other regions in MP anyway so yeah i wouldnt really care, but im not everyone.

edit: thinking abt this some more, but do we really want 50+ research facilities for US? :roll:
Gameplay 1st

Return to “General Discussion - SRUltimate”