Leader of China Post 1943

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

anash
Sergeant
Human: Yes

Leader of China Post 1943

Post by anash »

Just to let the devs know, the leader of China Lin Sen, died in 1943 and Chang Kai-shek took his post as leader of China on August 1st, 1943. I've played up to 1948 in the 1936 sandbox and the leader of china never changed.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Re: Leader of China Post 1943

Post by Balthagor »

Due to the number of regions and number of times leaders change, it would require a massive amount of development time to make the images for every leader change and make the scripted events and leader data for same. The game provides a slice of history, not every event.

If you'd like to help make it easier to add this event, please provide wiki links to both outgoing and incoming leaders and the date at which the change happens.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

I will admit it bothers me a bit that Chiang Kai-shek is not the leader of China. To my knowledge he was the leader of the Nationalist from 1928 when his army Beijing. Effectively becoming the leader of China If my memory is correct, he is also the one responsible for the "Flying Tigers" program in China. (I have many books on Claire Lee Chennault.). I also believe he was, rightfully, fighting the communist and Mao Zedong, until he was forced to flee to Taiwan.
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Technically speaking Chiang Kai-shek was only supreme commander of the Republic of China army and Prime minister in 1936. He was indeed president (or the equivalent anyway) during the northern expedition but resigned that post in 1931.
He also resigned as president in 1949 but the triggers required for that would be fairly difficult to consider unless going just by dates and considering Li Zongren was only acting president and Chiang regained the post roughly one year later I would consider that period far less important.

The issue is that the post of president where largely ceremonial when Lin Sen held it. He did not have the power Chiang had up to his resignation and gradually Chiang got them back. By 1936 he was the de facto ruler of the nation. Lin was a respected person but had next to no political power and really did not seek it either.

We can argue that Chiang was effectively the leader of the ROC from the end of the Northern expedition and the fall of the Beiyang government until his death in 1975 with only brief periods in 1931-32 or 33 (depending on when you regard him as having regained enough power to be the leader of the nation) and the brief period when Li was president in 1949 being the exception.

We also have Chiang as leader of the RoC in the 1949 cold war start despite having resigned on January 21st and only regaining it in March 1950 so why not earlier starting dates also.

So really I tend to agree that Chiang should be considered the leader as that is what he basically was. He might not have held the post of president in 1936 but he was prime minister and commander of the army. He was absolutely the most powerful person in the ROC.
The closest comparison I can come up with for having Lin Sen as the leader of the ROC in any 1936-43 start is having Queen Elizabeth as leader of the UK in 2017.

Return to “General Discussion - SRUltimate”