Guide to using urban and mountain areas to your advantage

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.
Human: Yes

Guide to using urban and mountain areas to your advantage

Post by Kristijonas »

I lied, there is no guide [_]O

However, YOU can write it here and it would be very welcome! :wink:

Extremely curious what units are best used in such scenarios and how. I'm wanting to play small countries who I want to go on 100% defensive and use every bonus possible to achieve victory against foes many times stronger that I.
YoMomma
Brigadier Gen.

Re: Guide to using urban and mountain areas to your advantage

Post by YoMomma »

Huh? you know this cloose combat map filter? That's where you put your front line. And you know this cloose combat stat for infantry? That's what you look for.

Leave your troops there to take the big hits, only go out to kill the injured and artillery hitting you and go back. Ofcourse you would like tanks take the hits when you go out. You could also use artillery and AA with your infantry stacks in cloose combat. Wont get hurt if enemy infantry or tanks hit them as long the infantry can hold and wont get attacked by enemy artillery.

Ok that's 5 dollars please.
Gameplay 1st
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

Not so fast. So basically the only thing close combat zones do is allow infantry with close combat stat to have better attack/defense (or one of those) while there? Higher stat = better capability to defend/attack in close combat zones?
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

Keep in mind, high altitude also affects things such as Spotting Range. A unit sitting on High Ground will receive a bonus to spotting range bonus. Conversely, units in close combat hexes will be harder to spot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

Interesting, thanks! I really wish we could gather all the knowledge about these factors! Would love to min-max my battles according to these rules.
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

It is in the manual. I do realize I am probably one of the few who actually reads manuals. :)
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG
YoMomma
Brigadier Gen.

Post by YoMomma »

Well yea forgpt about that mountains are great for defence, if you didnt play any other similair game yet. Plus your artillery might shoot 1 hex further.

I still dont know exact stats, like other games will give you. But to me it doesnt mather that much. It just makes me laugh all these videos on youtube and people claiming there is no strats in this game. Ofcourse there are and when you use them you feel silly just loosing 1 unit. Very fun to play with the AI in my opinion. Like first they just suicide but after that they will try too use strats too. Like if you retreat 1 infantry from the mountain then they will attack you with these massive line patrolling 2 hexes away getting shot by your artillery. By that time you understand there is no place in modern sandbox for WW2 artillery. They dont do ****, besides getting sold to the Netherlands and messing up the sphere system.
Gameplay 1st

Return to “General Discussion - SRUltimate”