so how does multiplayer work now?

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.
Human: Yes

so how does multiplayer work now?

Post by Kristijonas »

Huh? Through Steam? How does it work? I used to play through Gameranger.

Aren't there privacy concerns allowing Steam to manage multiplayer connection? Are there guarantees Steam isn't spying on my computer or installing secret root viruses and whatnot? I don't trust the company one bit and I know they don't care about their users so...
I didn't even buy the game on Steam for those reasons (bought it on gamersgate)
JollyGoodBork
Captain

Re: so how does multiplayer work now?

Post by JollyGoodBork »

Kristijonas wrote:Huh? Through Steam? How does it work? I used to play through Gameranger.
I've tried it and it seems pretty stable compared to my Gameranger games but let's be honest that doesn't mean much. The multiplayer is still somwhat buggy and slow.
Kristijonas wrote:Are there guarantees Steam isn't spying on my computer or installing secret root viruses and whatnot?
I can understand if you don't like the steam concept or if you distrust Valve as a company. But that fear sounds pretty unwarranted if you ask me. Just saying that not only is that illegal but Steam also has a very big audience. You can check the terms of service if you like.
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

I mean, how do I even play on multiplayer now? Where do I see games of other players and how do I help my friends see my game room? Where are they located? I've no idea how steam multiplayer works at all.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

We've made it transparent to the game. If you go to Multiplayer you will see a list of games. If it's empty, than no one is currently hosting.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

No one in the entire world? :O Well that explains it then. I'll try to host a room to see if anyone joins in for testing purposes.
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

Kristijonas wrote:No one in the entire world? :O Well that explains it then. I'll try to host a room to see if anyone joins in for testing purposes.
Hit me up on steam at some point and maybe we can play something.
My SR:U Model Project, get the latest and post suggestions here:

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=28040
Buzzbrad
General

Post by Buzzbrad »

Kristijonas wrote:Huh? Through Steam? How does it work? I used to play through Gameranger.

Aren't there privacy concerns allowing Steam to manage multiplayer connection? Are there guarantees Steam isn't spying on my computer or installing secret root viruses and whatnot? I don't trust the company one bit and I know they don't care about their users so...
The multiplayer is peer to peer. So Steam isn't actually handling the multiplayer connections. Steam only handles the creation of the lobbies.
mikeownage
Colonel

Post by mikeownage »

I think they removed direct play which was peer to peer, no idea if the steam networking solution they choose is also peer to peer for the actual game. Even if it is I hope steam's networking solution includes the ability to correct errors and such so we don't have sync issues.
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

mikeownage wrote:I think they removed direct play which was peer to peer, no idea if the steam networking solution they choose is also peer to peer for the actual game. Even if it is I hope steam's networking solution includes the ability to correct errors and such so we don't have sync issues.
So far I'm getting de-sync ~2 minutes in the game whenever it's started... Only tested with 2 other players though, so maybe just some kind of incompatibility... So sadly it was not fixed, if not gotten worse.
Buzzbrad
General

Post by Buzzbrad »

Kristijonas wrote:
mikeownage wrote:I think they removed direct play which was peer to peer, no idea if the steam networking solution they choose is also peer to peer for the actual game. Even if it is I hope steam's networking solution includes the ability to correct errors and such so we don't have sync issues.
So far I'm getting de-sync ~2 minutes in the game whenever it's started... Only tested with 2 other players though, so maybe just some kind of incompatibility... So sadly it was not fixed, if not gotten worse.
What sandbox was this? Also did all the users have trump rising installed? We have noticed that sync issues can be caused if not everyone has the DLC.
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

I don't remember and I haven't tested since... I'll report back when I do though!
Gman
Warrant Officer

Post by Gman »

Deleted. Moved to off topic

Return to “General Discussion - SRUltimate”