Optimal Performance: More Cores, or More Ghz/ Core?

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

shael_at
Corporal
Human: Yes

Optimal Performance: More Cores, or More Ghz/ Core?

Post by shael_at »

Hey guys,

I'm in the market for a brand new, top-of-line desktop computer. I've been an avid Supreme Ruler player for a very, very long time. One of my big grips with the game is how slow it gets. At this point, I am looking to throw pure horsepower at the problem.

What is the absolute best consumer grade CPU on the market, today, I can buy to power through these slow downs as much as possible?

Is Supreme Ruler Ultimate dependent on multiple-core utilization (8 cores equal distribution vs 32) or focused on the clock speed / ghz per core?

Appreciate the help
Buzzbrad
General

Re: Optimal Performance: More Cores, or More Ghz/ Core?

Post by Buzzbrad »

Supreme Ruler is multi-threaded though after 4 cores, the others aren't utilized as much. So more cores doesn't necessarily equal better performance.
way2co0l
Brigadier Gen.

Post by way2co0l »

Yeah, I have an I7 quad core at 3.5ghz and 16 gigs of ram. I don't think I've ever had a problem running SR. Though to be fair, I prefer to play at slower speeds and almost never increase the speed above normal just out of personal taste. I don't think it's necessary to have that, nor do I believe mine is the best. I believe stronger processors will likely run it better than multi cores will so a dual core over 4.5 would likely run it better than a quad at 3.5. 16 gigs is likely excessive as well, but yeah, it's always worked perfectly fine for me.
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

i was explained ~5 years ago that SR is friendly to multicore computers, BUT faster cores is very important too otherwise there may be some bottlenecks if there are let's say slow 16 cores.
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

Kristijonas wrote:i was explained ~5 years ago that SR is friendly to multicore computers, BUT faster cores is very important too otherwise there may be some bottlenecks if there are let's say slow 16 cores.
pretty much this.. get the FASTEST 4+ cores you can get if you want to throw HP at it. More than 4 cores isn't gonna help as much as a faster 4 core will. (random note I'm actually bottlenecked by my old ass DDR.. lol)
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace

Return to “General Discussion - SRUltimate”