Game Engine Changes in Supreme Ruler Ultimate 9.1.x

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

George Geczy
General

Game Engine Changes in Supreme Ruler Ultimate 9.1.x

Post by George Geczy »

We have just posted an Insider Build update for SRU (hmmm catchy name, wonder who we borrowed that from?)

This update contains a number of significant internal engine improvements, with thanks to the development work for Supreme Ruler The Great War that we have been able to push back to the SRU updates.

The Audio system has been newly updated for performance reasons (bye bye to the decades-old Miles Sound System we had been using). We have not noticed any issues in our test systems, and don't anticipate this to cause problems, but please report if you have any audio issues.

The DirectX graphics subsystem has been updated, although we still have more work to do in this regard. This is causing us some issues for Mac compatibility (which is why the insider build is currently PC only), but may also cause graphic issues for people who have not previously had problems - again, please report any graphics or visual issues. Also try the Graphic Options settings (Video Buffer Fix and Hardware Vertex Processing) to try to resolve any problems you have.

Most significantly, we have completely re-written the Multiplayer / Networking engine, and have moved to Steam Networking.

There are some issues with the Steam Networking right now, so this is definitely in "beta" mode right now. At present any sandbox other than 1936 seems to cause Sync Errors, and the Lobby can be a bit finicky. We didn't want to hold up getting some of the other exciting engine and content updates out to you while we work on this, so for single-player games there should be no impact, but Multiplayer games will be in a shifting state as we continue to work on the Multiplayer code over the next few weeks.

In particular, Steam networking adds and removes features:
- Steam Lobby / Matchmaking is now standard
- LAN or Internet IP networking is no longer supported

Known Networking issues:
- Only the 1936 Sandbox and saved-games that are sent manually will be in sync
- Lobbies for games in progress will show as open lobbies to others
- Steam will show all lobbies within a certain regional distance, but we have not added filters yet (such as to show friends, or farther/closer lobbies, etc)

More to come soon,

-- George / BattleGoat Studios
GIJoe597
Board Admin
Human: Yes

Re: Game Engine Changes in Supreme Ruler Ultimate 9.1.x

Post by GIJoe597 »

Good stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

Steam networking is interesting to say the least.
My SR:U Model Project, get the latest and post suggestions here:

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=28040
billapgh
Corporal

Post by billapgh »

Hello,

Hopefully this is the correct place to post this - I noticed a prior post mentioned to let you know if there are any sound issues. Unfortunately I am experiencing no sound since I started using .12. I am running an HP spectre with updated realtek drivers. Zip of msinfo and dxdiag attached.

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Buzzbrad
General

Post by Buzzbrad »

billapgh wrote:Hello,

Hopefully this is the correct place to post this - I noticed a prior post mentioned to let you know if there are any sound issues. Unfortunately I am experiencing no sound since I started using .12. I am running an HP spectre with updated realtek drivers. Zip of msinfo and dxdiag attached.

Thanks!
Have you tried reinstalling?
billapgh
Corporal

Post by billapgh »

Will try this weekend - sorry for the late reply. TY
billapgh
Corporal