Population Question?

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Saisio
Warrant Officer
Human: Yes

Population Question?

Post by Saisio »

What the hell just happen to my population, I had around 230 mill population. Still on my Iran cold-war play through and trying to get more grip on the game, the year is now 1994. Soviet has started to liberate their colonizes, so I decided to annex these region to my Great Kingdom of Alamut.
Then Pakistan decided to declare war on me, some days after I declared war Uzbekistan. I where able to beat Pakistan and annex them, long live Tech Superiority ;P But I went on to give India their independence, after living under the Dictatorship of Pakistan. Once I did that my population went down to 170 mill. And I what the hell did just happen, but realism dictates, that those people who had immigrated from India and Pakistan under that poor DAR over the years, decided hey we got independence, lets move back, even I where running with healthy DAR, I also noticed it did eat of my total surplus in my money :/
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Re: Population Question?

Post by Kristijonas »

From your story it's hard to understand when you had 230mil and when you had 170mil and how your borders changed or stayed the same. Could you clarify?

Losing population can happen quickly if your cities are under siege and are constantly bombarded, if you lose many military units. Also if your domestic approval is bad (people emigrate to other countries) and if your social funding is poor (people die faster than give birth and emigrate).
YoMomma
Brigadier Gen.

Post by YoMomma »

When you liberate or puppet after you already annexed it cause issues with military power and population.

I guess someone should make an issue topic about it.
Gameplay 1st
Saisio
Warrant Officer

Post by Saisio »

Kristijonas wrote:From your story it's hard to understand when you had 230mil and when you had 170mil and how your borders changed or stayed the same. Could you clarify?

Losing population can happen quickly if your cities are under siege and are constantly bombarded, if you lose many military units. Also if your domestic approval is bad (people emigrate to other countries) and if your social funding is poor (people die faster than give birth and emigrate).
I can try my best to clarify it.
Right before I attacked Uzbekistan I satt with 277 mill in population, with above reccomended social spendings and with a pretty healthy DAR at 28.7, it will drop cause of my wardec, but I also know that will recover, right after my attack on Uzbekistan, Pakistan responds with decleartion of war with it 338 mill population, since it won the Pakistan Indian conflict in my playthrough, I keep my border mostly intact and slowly processing inwards Pakistan which in the end result in Pakistan surrender.
I went with Annexation and my total population at the annexation point where 559 mill and then moved onto liberate India, after the liberation of India, India gets 385 mill population, and I sat with 173 mill population, so in all i lost 100 mill population........ And did also an redo with the process to double check it, and the result where the
same.

Reason for edicting where to correct some spellings.
way2co0l
Brigadier Gen.

Post by way2co0l »

It's an interesting situation. What happened to Pakistan? is their territory still annexed?

Comparing your initial population to Pakistans (with India as part of its territory) at the start of the war vs your total population after taking all of their territory, it looks like 60 million or so were lost. Some through casualties, but many others probably fleeing the warzones. That should mostly have been suffered from the territory pakistan controlled if the fighting was indeed mostly within pakistan and not your own territory.

What's interesting is that you say India had 385 million after that war, but Pakistan + india only had 338 million before the war, and that includes both of their territory. If you either separately liberated pakistan or continued to occupy it, there's no way a separate india should end with a larger population than the combined territory began with. That part doesn't make any sense.

As far as I know, population isn't just some floating number. It is tracked per hex, so the only way to lose population (outside of generic population changes such as immigration and birth/deaths) is if they are damaged in the hex such as an artillery bombardment of a city, or if you lose control of a hex that has them. So the only way to have 100 million population switch from your country to another is to lose the specific hexes where that amount of population resided in in the first place. Since you say you were the victor not actually losing any territory, it doesn't make any sense.

It's really difficult for me to add anything more to this issue than that. Your population should not change to another country in this way unless they gained occupational control over the hex where the population existed. That's the only way it should happen outside of natural immigration, which simply doesn't occur on this scale. I think it's something that we're just being confused over, or else it's an issue the devs themselves will have to look at because I can't explain it with the information you shared.
Saisio
Warrant Officer

Post by Saisio »

The Pakistan loyal area is still under my controll. Duo to what happend with my population I have kinda given up on play any futher in that playthrough, since the huge loss of my population :/

The only reason I personally can think of what that might have happend, Pakistan where under dicatorship, with a ugly DAR, so it had emmigration, and on the other hand I had high Immigration, so the only sensable I personally can think of is that the Indian part of that population that lived within my borders move back to India. Once I did give them indepedence. And is immigration/emmigration suppose to work like that? And if it is suppose to work like that, it brings a rather rough envoirment for you industry setup, and eco.
YoMomma
Brigadier Gen.

Post by YoMomma »

Like i said after you annex and then liberate or puppet you get issues.

Less population wouldn't be a reason for me to quit tho. Often i try to kill pop with arty in cities so you get more free timber and agriculture. On the other hand i wouldnt use this glitch to my advantage.

My biggest issue is puppeting after annexing. For example i conquered Japan as Russia, rebuilded so they would be a proffitable puppet for me, then let partisans take an empty town, make it capital, conquer them, make them puppet and lost 2M MP out of 3M active MP. Now that's an issue. Also had more pop for Japan then before i conquered them, but yeah i wouldnt care if i didnt loose 75% of my active MP to a freaking puppet.
Gameplay 1st
way2co0l
Brigadier Gen.

Post by way2co0l »

Yeah that's weird. The MP issue is likely working as it's setup to, but I agree it's an issue. The population issue is still a bug if that's true. If him Annexing Pakistan, and then setting India free is what caused this, then it's 100% a bug and not how population mechanics are supposed to work.

Return to “General Discussion - SRUltimate”