Question about DAR?

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Saisio
Warrant Officer
Human: Yes

Question about DAR?

Post by Saisio »

Hiya again ;P

Slowly getting more grip on the game, supplies are slowly getting the into my core basic understanding of the game, but my next task at hand how to get a healthy DAR?

To my understanding the lower the taxes the more sustainable DAR is achieved, but have been playing a bit with taxed and slowly moved the bar and let some time pass, and suddenly the DAR starting to get hits again, further I am running most social spending at recommended levels, with the exception of Education, prefer higher population growth, vs LOW. Running all my productions with 10% over demand and I am running my power at 100% capacity. And I notice that I get a Inflation hit and unemployment hit once I start some military production, duo to the Military goods goes up in production, and all the necessities needed to make those goods. Same goes towards when building new buildings in general.

My over all goal is to get a sustainable DAR with not much inflation.

One of the following issues I struggle with is to get my DAR up 30% ich area, duo to election, my usually go to way have been increase Education spending to recommended level, decrease LOW, HIGH income taxes, same with PENSION, PROPERTY and UNEMPLOYMENT taxes, I usually end with putting those to around 0%. After I win the election I take the taxes back up to coop with the high Inflation, and some points I usually have to decrease some of my domestic prices to get the necessary DAR to win.

And If you ever wonder what nation I am playing is Iran from the cold war start, sitting around 36 million population.
way2co0l
Brigadier Gen.

Re: Question about DAR?

Post by way2co0l »

Another tool you can use is to supplement goods for the population to purchase. Food tends to be a good one. Rather than putting a domestic tax on it, you can supplement it by 10% for example and get a pretty good DAR bonus out of it too. Obviously this will hit your finances quite a bit, and will effect inflation to an extent as the cheaper prices will result in demand going up, and your production setting will increase production for it as a result. So it's definitely something you need to be aware of, it has it's costs, but it's just one more option available to you. During an election year, I'd recommend reducing military construction to ease the financial burden of all the changes you'll be making to boost your DAR for that election cycle and then putting it all back to normal afterwards. Or you can just lose the election and continue playing as a dictatorship. lol. That's up to you. :)
Saisio
Warrant Officer

Post by Saisio »

way2co0l wrote:Another tool you can use is to supplement goods for the population to purchase. Food tends to be a good one. Rather than putting a domestic tax on it, you can supplement it by 10% for example and get a pretty good DAR bonus out of it too. Obviously this will hit your finances quite a bit, and will effect inflation to an extent as the cheaper prices will result in demand going up, and your production setting will increase production for it as a result. So it's definitely something you need to be aware of, it has it's costs, but it's just one more option available to you. During an election year, I'd recommend reducing military construction to ease the financial burden of all the changes you'll be making to boost your DAR for that election cycle and then putting it all back to normal afterwards. Or you can just lose the election and continue playing as a dictatorship. lol. That's up to you. :)
That ruins the challenge of the game though, Going Dicatorship, but I am prob gonna get it soon anyway, duo the Iranian Revulution xD
Ohh supplement, in any case where do I find that TAB, or do I have to go through Minister Prioritizes and Supplement Agriculture from there?
way2co0l
Brigadier Gen.

Post by way2co0l »

On the production screen tab, go to industry controls. This is the screen which shows your production controls such as to allow you to produce 10% over demand. Further down, you'll see a domestic price adjustment slider for domestic products (Agriculture/wood/oil/electricity/consumer goods). This can be anything between -99% through 200%. Anything over 0 will add a tax onto the sale price over the world market price which reduces demand so consumption as well which typically lets you reduce production or simply gain more money from exports. Reducing the value below 0 will result subsidize the product compared to the world market price. If the world market price is 100 for the product, and you move the slider to -20, that will mean your people will be able to purchase it for 80, but that the government will pay the difference for each purchase. This increases demand and tends to improve DAR, especially for things like agriculture. Also worth noting is that if you produce that product at a cheaper price than the world market price, let's say for this example it costs you 76 to produce it domestically yet the world market price is still 100 and you leave the slider at -20, you'll be selling it at 80 to your people, but since you produce it cheaper, you'll still be making a profit. It'll simply reduce the amount of that profit considering you could have sold it for a much higher value if you had wanted to so is still technically lost money, so it depends how you look at it. lol. But doing so will improve your DAR quite a bit. Just be careful because it can result in a lot of lost income which you'd need to cover expenses elsewhere.

Also be careful because the increased demand might push it over your total capacity for production in which case you will need to start importing it from the world market where you will have to pay the full 100 for it and only get 80 of it back when your people buy it. That might potentially increase further if those purchases drive the world market price up even further.

Lastly, be careful raising the domestic prices too high. It can be a great way to earn money, reduce demand, and thus earn you even more money from trade, but it can have a pretty significant effect on DAR, especially in democracies. Typically it's best to keep them under a 40% markup for a democracy especially. Ultimately it's one more tool you have for deciding how to manage your country. :)
Saisio
Warrant Officer

Post by Saisio »

way2co0l wrote:On the production screen tab, go to industry controls. This is the screen which shows your production controls such as to allow you to produce 10% over demand. Further down, you'll see a domestic price adjustment slider for domestic products (Agriculture/wood/oil/electricity/consumer goods). This can be anything between -99% through 200%. Anything over 0 will add a tax onto the sale price over the world market price which reduces demand so consumption as well which typically lets you reduce production or simply gain more money from exports. Reducing the value below 0 will result subsidize the product compared to the world market price. If the world market price is 100 for the product, and you move the slider to -20, that will mean your people will be able to purchase it for 80, but that the government will pay the difference for each purchase. This increases demand and tends to improve DAR, especially for things like agriculture. Also worth noting is that if you produce that product at a cheaper price than the world market price, let's say for this example it costs you 76 to produce it domestically yet the world market price is still 100 and you leave the slider at -20, you'll be selling it at 80 to your people, but since you produce it cheaper, you'll still be making a profit. It'll simply reduce the amount of that profit considering you could have sold it for a much higher value if you had wanted to so is still technically lost money, so it depends how you look at it. lol. But doing so will improve your DAR quite a bit. Just be careful because it can result in a lot of lost income which you'd need to cover expenses elsewhere.

Also be careful because the increased demand might push it over your total capacity for production in which case you will need to start importing it from the world market where you will have to pay the full 100 for it and only get 80 of it back when your people buy it. That might potentially increase further if those purchases drive the world market price up even further.

Lastly, be careful raising the domestic prices too high. It can be a great way to earn money, reduce demand, and thus earn you even more money from trade, but it can have a pretty significant effect on DAR, especially in democracies. Typically it's best to keep them under a 40% markup for a democracy especially. Ultimately it's one more tool you have for deciding how to manage your country. :)
Ahhh, but doing that to my agriculture will be bad for me as that will drain the workforce towards that, but anyway I can do that do my power as i am having 18 nuclear plants hanging in the dessert, I presume that DAR approval rates goes towards all the thing that the population uses?

Thats mind thrilling, gives a hole new tool set to apply to your country, tywm :)
way2co0l
Brigadier Gen.

Post by way2co0l »

Yes, you can use this with any consumer good so subsidizing electricity will have a similar effect. Obviously the more you do it with either that one resource, or spread across multiple will have a stronger effect. Whatever you can manage to reach the desired goal. :) Glad you're enjoying the game!
Saisio
Warrant Officer

Post by Saisio »

way2co0l wrote:Yes, you can use this with any consumer good so subsidizing electricity will have a similar effect. Obviously the more you do it with either that one resource, or spread across multiple will have a stronger effect. Whatever you can manage to reach the desired goal. :) Glad you're enjoying the game!
I really really enjoy it, and thanks for all the advices down the road, now onto my question regarding DAR, does it work that way the higher DAR you have that more Immigrants you attract to your country. One other thing I also have notice regarding the Education spending, is the higher you get the Literacy up, the less people born, but also less people dying. Either is it do the lower child born death or is it people do less stupid things in life.
way2co0l
Brigadier Gen.

Post by way2co0l »

Saisio wrote:I really really enjoy it, and thanks for all the advices down the road, now onto my question regarding DAR, does it work that way the higher DAR you have that more Immigrants you attract to your country. One other thing I also have notice regarding the Education spending, is the higher you get the Literacy up, the less people born, but also less people dying. Either is it do the lower child born death or is it people do less stupid things in life.
I'm less certain here. I do believe DAR has a strong effect on immigration, but that might just be because the things that lead to a high DAR are the things that actual increase it. It makes little difference either way, because the things that lead to having a high DAR and GDP will typically result in larger immigration numbers one way or another. Whether it's the chicken or the egg, the result is typically the same from my experience. But in short, yes, you should see more immigrants.

As for death rate, I do think literacy has an effect, yes. Part of it might be due to less stupidity, but it's more than that. A better understanding of health, the things you put in your body, avoiding riskier habits, and having better knowledge of the habits that extend your life, as well as a better understanding for retirement planning which allows for more fulfilling twilight lifestyles, ect. Again, I'm not positive on the actual numbers or cutoffs, but I think that for the most part lower literacy will result in more births and more deaths, but probably a net gain all in all, but you suffer when it comes to research. Higher literacy has fewer births as well as fewer deaths, but the births are hit harder than the reduction in deaths, so it's still a slight net loss, but your research is much more efficient and can potentially result in an ultimate net gain in population in the long term from social techs for things like health improvements providing a larger net gain than the lower literacy bonus gives. So it's a choice once again, but I do feel higher literacy tends to be more beneficial in the long run but it'll take awhile and several techs for it to really become apparent. That being said, higher literacy tends to also come from higher education spending which also attracts more immigrants, so all in all it's probably the best choice for most situations, unless you can funnel the money you save from education spending into areas that prove to be more effective.
Saisio
Warrant Officer

Post by Saisio »

way2co0l wrote:
Saisio wrote:I really really enjoy it, and thanks for all the advices down the road, now onto my question regarding DAR, does it work that way the higher DAR you have that more Immigrants you attract to your country. One other thing I also have notice regarding the Education spending, is the higher you get the Literacy up, the less people born, but also less people dying. Either is it do the lower child born death or is it people do less stupid things in life.
I'm less certain here. I do believe DAR has a strong effect on immigration, but that might just be because the things that lead to a high DAR are the things that actual increase it. It makes little difference either way, because the things that lead to having a high DAR and GDP will typically result in larger immigration numbers one way or another. Whether it's the chicken or the egg, the result is typically the same from my experience. But in short, yes, you should see more immigrants.

As for death rate, I do think literacy has an effect, yes. Part of it might be due to less stupidity, but it's more than that. A better understanding of health, the things you put in your body, avoiding riskier habits, and having better knowledge of the habits that extend your life, as well as a better understanding for retirement planning which allows for more fulfilling twilight lifestyles, ect. Again, I'm not positive on the actual numbers or cutoffs, but I think that for the most part lower literacy will result in more births and more deaths, but probably a net gain all in all, but you suffer when it comes to research. Higher literacy has fewer births as well as fewer deaths, but the births are hit harder than the reduction in deaths, so it's still a slight net loss, but your research is much more efficient and can potentially result in an ultimate net gain in population in the long term from social techs for things like health improvements providing a larger net gain than the lower literacy bonus gives. So it's a choice once again, but I do feel higher literacy tends to be more beneficial in the long run but it'll take awhile and several techs for it to really become apparent. That being said, higher literacy tends to also come from higher education spending which also attracts more immigrants, so all in all it's probably the best choice for most situations, unless you can funnel the money you save from education spending into areas that prove to be more effective.
That extreme excat number dosen't bother me much, but is intrigued the more I learn in this game.

I have both good and bad new, I won my election with 32% and DAR right above 32%, but the part around 14 inflation, and and 2.7% unemployment, it was rough election year in general, as I totally revamped the taxes, and not to mention the risen in education spending. Also deactived around 9 research centers, as I am far ahead of tech, are the leading nation now. So are taking manners to decrease the inflation and employment, and mean while add some nukepower plants to keep up with the supplement on power, thinking adding oil to it in the longterm

And adding a question in the mix, you mention earlier in one of your posts, that it was a background business thing that might steal your labor if the tax settings for business is set for it, that part scared me so I have throughout the game kept those taxes at maxed level, so my question is does LOW and HIGH income taxes applies to that to?
way2co0l
Brigadier Gen.

Post by way2co0l »

I think they do. The more money you take out of the economy, the less people have to invest which ultimately means fewer jobs created. The consequences from the DAR hit limit just how much you can do that obviously. High taxes hurt DAR pretty hard, which in turn effects things like immigration, slowing down population growth to go along with that smaller number of jobs so it's debatable whether that would actually help your unemployment issues in the long run or simply compound them.
Saisio
Warrant Officer

Post by Saisio »

way2co0l wrote:I think they do. The more money you take out of the economy, the less people have to invest which ultimately means fewer jobs created. The consequences from the DAR hit limit just how much you can do that obviously. High taxes hurt DAR pretty hard, which in turn effects things like immigration, slowing down population growth to go along with that smaller number of jobs so it's debatable whether that would actually help your unemployment issues in the long run or simply compound them.
I have been playing around with low and high income taxes, it has huge impact on demand of goods inwards in the country, haven't dared to touch Small B and Corporate taxes, duo to the simple thing I don't want my people to create there on jobs xD, further I have notice the supplement goods to your people have a huge impact on DAR.
But what I struggle a bit with is to set an overall goal where I want my domestic prices to be at and secondly where to land my overall tax %.

Grrr the lack of tool tips in this game, which it where tool tips this buildings uses x amount of your total population in terms of workforce, or at least have given an extra population tab, where x amount of people who are able to take jobs, but I guess that will just ruined the challenge of the game.

I also take notice of when you are supplementing goods the higher taxes you can run in your country.
Saisio
Warrant Officer

Post by Saisio »

Now this is interesting, even an small application of tech does affect the over all inflation, just applied the tech Vehicle Retrofith avd RetroFith which, reduced fuel usage.
That did start kicking my DAR arrow towards red and slowly my inflation is going down, and slowly recover some workforce, its a slow process.

Now my question is, I do however have the state of the art Health Care with a rating of 165,5% have lot of tech which bolster that rating, I know reducing Education spending, can help me drift my workforce to higher unemployment, My logic dictates the same will happens with Health Care, but then my deathrate will take hit, so my question is what is the minimum required health care rating to prevent people from dieing?
way2co0l
Brigadier Gen.

Post by way2co0l »

I don't think a low health care rating actually has the same kind of effect on births that a lower education level does. Health care is typically something you'll want to keep high as it reduces deaths, encourages immigration, and improves DAR. Outside of the expense of keeping it higher, as well as the number of people employed in the health sector at higher spending, there really aren't any major downsides to high health care spending and you should keep it as high as you can manage based on your financial situation. Infrastructure should always be maxed, health care and family planning typically at recommended as a minimum raising them as you're able, and mostly everything else can be used to fine tune your national situation based on what you can afford. Just keep in mind that social security starts off cheap for many nations, but as your population and GDP grow, that specific social policy will skyrocket in cost. I prefer to keep it low and raise everything else because while it does provide a very meaningful impact on DAR, its cost eventually just becomes more than I want to spend.
Saisio
Warrant Officer

Post by Saisio »

Saisio wrote:Now this is interesting, even an small application of tech does affect the over all inflation, just applied the tech Vehicle Retrofith avd RetroFith which, reduced fuel usage.
That did start kicking my DAR arrow towards red and slowly my inflation is going down, and slowly recover some workforce, its a slow process.

Now my question is, I do however have the state of the art Health Care with a rating of 165,5% have lot of tech which bolster that rating, I know reducing Education spending, can help me drift my workforce to higher unemployment, My logic dictates the same will happens with Health Care, but then my deathrate will take hit, so my question is what is the minimum required health care rating to prevent people from dieing?
Dealing with DAR is a delicate mater ;P Learning how to control you workforce is fun once you get an idea how that work, and pay close attention to the DAR arrow.
Now I struggle with keeping it healthy, but it a learning process. And I have to underline once again, tywm for great advices and tips you have brought to my toolcase how to tackle and handle the game <3 :)

One other thing I have notice with a healthy DAR is you get an healthy population growth through with high Education spending, threw high Immigration.
Saisio
Warrant Officer

Post by Saisio »

Whelp.

What other factors expect taxes, social spending, domestic prices, supplements affects DAR?
I know declaring war affects it negative way but what else, and may over spending in recommended social spending's area like healthcare, and education help to bolster it?

I am also running supplements on Oil and Power, one other thing does unemployment rate inflict such harm on it, or does the people in general need to earn personal wealth?

Return to “General Discussion - SRUltimate”