SR Ultimate on Linux

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.
Human: Yes

SR Ultimate on Linux

Post by Kristijonas »

Have anyone tried it? On which distributions? I suppose it'd only work with Wine? I haven't migrated fully to Linux yet but SRU playable there would be a huge step towards it :D
Nerei
General

Re: SR Ultimate on Linux

Post by Nerei »

It think I was running Ubuntu 14.04 when I tried it. It was with wine yes and I doubt you got a chance to get it going without it.
The Mac version from what I can tell is basically a wine-bottled windows SRU though it appears to be a version specifically made for it. I do wonder why they have not made a linux version given that wine runs just fine on linux and from what I can tell the internal wine environment is fairly similar. I guess it might not be worth it given the low marketshare linux has.
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

A late thank you for the reply! Would be nice if it ran on Linux from Steam too and it might be worthwhile considering Linux gamer's usually don't shun on complex games.
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

It is not cost effective.

A quick search returned this;

Steam Survey shows Windows 10 and quad-core CPUs on the rise. July 6, 2017
http://techreport.com/news/32204/steam- ... n-the-rise

"Probably the most interesting bit of news this time around is that Windows 10 is the OS of choice for half of Steam's Windows users. Windows 7 64-bit fell to 32%, Windows 8.1 64-bit trails at 6.86%, and the rest of Steam's Windows user base is spread out across other versions. Windows gamers make up the overwhelming majority of Steam users, comprising 96.24% of customers. Meanwhile, macOS users dropped to just under 3% while Linux remains at under one percent."
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/
I read about this report from Valve a few days ago.

That's still 1.3 million Linux Steam users alone even if it's under 1% (0.74% by their limited calculations).

However this calculation was heavily criticized particularily because only a few Linux distributions were taken into the equation. There are like 200 different Linux operating systems that were NOT included into this whatsoever. Surprisingly they didn't even include their own SteamOS which is a Linux operating system meant to play Steam games on and is quite popular. I myself use Linux and play games on a Linux distribution that isn't included...
I understand they couldn't include every single Linux OS in those graphs, especially since some wouldn't even reach 0.01% but together they might (who knows now since they've skipped this) reach the same 3% of Steam users(or more or less??) that Mac has.

TLDR: the calculations in that report are inaccurate because only like 20-30% of Linux users were taken in while arguably 98-99% of Windows and Mac users were taken into the calculations. That is because there are only a few Windows and Mac versions while there are hundreds of Linux of which only a few were added in the report.
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

Still a huge difference between a % of the 98% Windows users and a % of the less than 1% others. I would much rather have 5% of windows users verse 20% of other users. It is simple math. I understand you want to promote your system, but your system of choice is the minority, by a huge %.
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Personally while I would love to have everything run on Linux I have to agree about the cost aspect.
I am actually surprised BG is even supporting Mac OS given that this is a niche game running on an engine that is basically windows only. I suspect serious troubleshooting the issues recently reported with the Mac version is not economically attractive at all.
Given that the best prospect brought up is that Linux users might be as large as the Mac community on Steam and not just 1/3 the size I suspect it does not look that attractive at all. Remember the porting is not the expensive part the continued support after that is.

Also while I am a Linux and I very much prefer it to windows I do still have a win7 partition for say games and then there are Wine which I am also happy to use if need be. For people like me a Linux port does not equal an additional sale.
I suspect quite a few of the potential Linux customers already own the game so even if the reported number is skewed against Linux I would not expect a massive increase in customers.
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

Yeah I use Linux but play mostly on Windows 10 myself. That makes me think, however, that maybe there are even more Linux users, only they are using Steam on Windows systems? Anyhow Linux IS a selling point to me. I buy most of my games on GOG and recently began buying ONLY Linux games because I plan to stop using Windows altogether in near future (probably before 2019) so my Windows-only games will be useless. Luckily nearly half of all games, even new ones, are supported on Linux. I very much prefer not to use WINE though if possible. Anyhow, Supreme Ruler might just become the only game I'd have to have Windows for soon. Hope they'll eventually add Linux support. I guess it can be difficult if the developers themselves aren't familiar with the OS and can't even estimate the time and possibly hiring costs to add Linux support.

Return to “General Discussion - SRUltimate”