Whats the point of Amphib units?

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Scoose
Major

Whats the point of Amphib units?

Post by Scoose »

What is the point of amphib units other than river crossings? As long as you use a ship with the "can unload away from dock" ability you can use any unit you want amphib or not. So doesn't this render amphib units pointless or is there something I am missing.

Cheers
Pete.
JollyGoodBork
Captain
Human: Yes

Re: Whats the point of Amphib units?

Post by JollyGoodBork »

Scoose wrote:What is the point of amphib units other than river crossings? As long as you use a ship with the "can unload away from dock" ability you can use any unit you want amphib or not. So doesn't this render amphib units pointless or is there something I am missing.

Cheers
Pete.
Not too many ships have that ability if I'm not mistaken. To name an example, I don't the common merchant marine (which is used whenever a player or an AI region uses the "Sea transport" action) can unload away from dock.

But yes, you do have a point.
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

They are useful for loading/pickup after you have completed your attack. It is true any unit can unload from an amphibious transport without a dock/pier, but a non amphibious unit may not re-load without a dock/pier. This is useful for islands and even some large continents. Australia comes to mind as an example. Imagine bringing home non amphib ground units from New Guinea back to Australia. If they are non amphib units every one would have to first go to the single port on the main island, Port Moresby, then embark, and move the 1,426 kms to either Hervey Bay or 1600 kms to Darwin.

However, if they are amphib units, they can load around Daru, New Guinea and only have to transit 176 kms to get back to Australia. Since I build a small amount of transports, I always do my best to limit their exposure.
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

Also not every river has ship access. Sometimes crossing rivers where enemy doesn't expect you can lead to tactical advantage and easy victories behind the enemy lines.

Return to “General Discussion - SRUltimate”