Fighting a war of attrition on multiple fronts?

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Cdiplayer
Colonel
Human: Yes

Fighting a war of attrition on multiple fronts?

Post by Cdiplayer »

So here's the lowdown, I recently surpassed 2000 hours played in Supreme Ruler Ultimate, and I am still finding new ways to challenge myself. My goal this time? To turn Burkina Faso into a global superpower. Unfortunately, in the process I have made a lot of enemies. My only allies are Uganda, Rwanda, and Burundi. Even more unfortunately, these three countries are currently caught up in a massive war that has been going on off and on for the last 5 years against Tanzania, Ethiopia, Kenya, and Nigeria. The high water mark for my allies was about 3 years ago, when Uganda completely overran Kenya and came within one hex of Tanzania's capital. Remarkably, the enemy liberated Kenya and fought their way back until they were threatening to totally defeat Uganda. At this point I decided to intervene in order to prevent more hostile nations from showing up on my doorstep and to prevent my last remaining allies from collapsing. I sent in my army and established static defensive lines along 4 fronts that held for 3 years. However, over time my lines gradually wore down, as the numerically superior enemy began to overwhelm me. I knew that offensive action was not an option due to the enemy's total control of the skies and my outdated and ineffective AA units, so I instead opted to simply try and hold out until a ceasefire could be a agreed upon. Eventually Nigeria agreed to a ceasefire, but the remaining enemies kept pushing, until September of 2027, when the enemy broke through my lines on the eastern front and poured into Uganda heading straight for Kampala.
This is a screenshot of my lines a month before the breakthrough
and here is about 2 weeks after the breakthrough, as you can see, I tried to plug the hole with the last of my reserves, but it was too late and they wound up getting cut off.
I am loathe to give up my positions on the eastern front, as they are on the top of a mountain range and thus very impregnable, but it is becoming clear that if I do not I will be surrounded. Currently I am considering three options:
1. Retreat to river lines inside Uganda and force the enemy into chokepoints where I can ensure local superiority for the foreseeable future.
2. Launch an all out last ditch offensive on all fronts. I still have enough force to drive into the enemy lands fairly quickly, however I would take heavier and heavier casualties the farther I go in due to the enemy air superiority and I almost certainly would not be able to take any of the enemy capitals.
3. Withdraw entirely from Uganda and prepare for the defense of Rwanda and Burundi.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Keep in mind I am extremely limited in what units I can build, due to my garbage tech level.
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Re: Fighting a war of attrition on multiple fronts?

Post by Kristijonas »

Sucks you can't build fortifications on allied land or you could set up some nice forts in those mountains which would make them even easier to defend. However as it is, I could only suggest not making rash moves. Don't sacrifice too much. Conserve your units. Make enemy pay for each step they take. Try to maintain positions as long as you are not losing troops (which, when damaged, you should send to repair). Also try using supply transport units so your mountain/desert located troops don't run out of ammo. Also I see your units are a bit scattered around their points of defense. Try to select all units in one point and "entrench" them in one single hex. When entrenching, you can stuff more units into one hex than usually. They will also have better supply that way if you entrench them in cities/facilities. When you absolutely must retreat, make sure to do so orderly, leave some fast units behind to hold the line while the slow moving units retreat first etc. You can kill many enemy units by holding positions, retreating, then holding again etc. Perhaps their numberes will dwindle and you will be able to go on offensive later (when I'd recommend focusing on one country only).
Would you like me to join you in this game through multiplayer? It would be fun taking a small country like Iceland and send a task force to Africa to help you out a little, while secretly hoping to take a small piece of valuable land for ourselves ;p
Last edited by Kristijonas on May 03 2017, edited 1 time in total.
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

I have nothing to add to what Kris typed. Sound advice. I did wish to point out, this would have made an excellent AAR.
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG
Cdiplayer
Colonel

Post by Cdiplayer »

Kristijonas wrote:Sucks you can't build fortifications on allied land or you could set up some nice forts in those mountains which would make them even easier to defend. However as it is, I could only suggest not making rash moves. Don't sacrifice too much. Conserve your units. Make enemy pay for each step they take. Try to maintain positions as long as you are not losing troops (which, when damaged, you should send to repair). Also try using supply transport units so your mountain/desert located troops don't run out of ammo. Also I see your units are a bit scattered around their points of defense. Try to select all units in one point and "entrench" them in one single hex. When entrenching, you can stuff more units into one hex than usually. They will also have better supply that way if you entrench them in cities/facilities. When you absolutely must retreat, make sure to do so orderly, leave some fast units behind to hold the line while the slow moving units retreat first etc. You can kill many enemy units by holding positions, retreating, then holding again etc. Perhaps their numberes will dwindle and you will be able to go on offensive later (when I'd recommend focusing on one country only).
Would you like me to join you in this game through multiplayer? It would be fun taking a small country like Iceland and send a task force to Africa to help you out a little, while secretly hoping to take a small piece of valuable land for ourselves ;p
I would love for you to join the game! Perhaps you would be interested in playing as Uganda or one of Uganda's other allies? I have been feeding Uganda units for the entire war, since they refuse to build up their land fab capabilities, although usually whenever I send them a shipment of units they throw them away in some stupid offensive against the enemy's strongest point. Another fun option would be Bhutan, they got lucky and are now a nation of 104 million people thanks to Iran annexing India, declaring war on Bhutan, and then getting destroyed by the UK. As for the mountain troops, my main concern is that they will be cut off, and I don't know if I have enough force to prevent that from happening if they hold their current positions.
Also, GIJoe597, I think I will make an AAR out of this once its all said and done, as I have been taking screenshots every couple of days since the start of the war.
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

I would love to play as Bhutan or some island state, like Iceland Ireland, Madagascar or Mauritius. Do you use Gameranger? What is your contact there? At what hours are you available?
Cdiplayer
Colonel

Post by Cdiplayer »

Kristijonas wrote:I would love to play as Bhutan or some island state, like Iceland Ireland, Madagascar or Mauritius. Do you use Gameranger? What is your contact there? At what hours are you available?
I do use Gameranger, my user name is GamingGalore64. I am available pretty much anytime except on Mondays and Fridays.

Return to “General Discussion - SRUltimate”