Ist this game inspired By Larry Bonds "Cauldron"

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

nick-bang
Colonel
Human: Yes
Location: A dark and ominous room - only illuminated by the eerie light of a computerscreen

Ist this game inspired By Larry Bonds "Cauldron"

Post by nick-bang »

I just reread the book, and its scarily accurate and eerily relevant today, and still brilliant. In fact until a few years ago, then I though it was outdated. Not so anymore ....

Its funny: because i get the very distinct feeling that what is described in the book is emulated by the game in the 2020 sandbox:

Germany and France against the rest of Europe sans Hungary.

Im right - right ?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Re: Ist this game inspired By Larry Bonds "Cauldron"

Post by Balthagor »

One of the leads on the project is a big fan of Larry Bond's, and Larry actually wrote the forward for Supreme Ruler 2010's manual, however Cauldron was published in 1994 and the original Supreme Ruler game for TRS-80 came out in 1982, so inspiration is not the case. It's more likely that the same data that influenced Larry Bond influenced the decisions of myself and the other designers in our thoughts of an alternate future. The relations for SR2020 where greatly impacted by what we created for SR2010 which was strongly guided by geographical realities of segmenting the map. It was as much convenience as design as I recall.

But you're asking me to remember decisions that were made 9 years ago (for SR2020) and 15 years ago (SR2010) so I may have forgotten some of it...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
nick-bang
Colonel
Location: A dark and ominous room - only illuminated by the eerie light of a computerscreen

Re: Ist this game inspired By Larry Bonds "Cauldron"

Post by nick-bang »

Balthagor wrote:One of the leads on the project is a big fan of Larry Bond's, and Larry actually wrote the forward for Supreme Ruler 2010's manual, however Cauldron was published in 1994 and the original Supreme Ruler game for TRS-80 came out in 1982, so inspiration is not the case. It's more likely that the same data that influenced Larry Bond influenced the decisions of myself and the other designers in our thoughts of an alternate future. The relations for SR2020 where greatly impacted by what we created for SR2010 which was strongly guided by geographical realities of segmenting the map. It was as much convenience as design as I recall.

But you're asking me to remember decisions that were made 9 years ago (for SR2020) and 15 years ago (SR2010) so I may have forgotten some of it...

XD

Many thanks. I actually just thought it was funny, and the way Sandbox SR2020 rolls out emulates the book in a lot of ways. Point of example being casus belli and relations intra Germany/France/Hungary vis the rest of Europe.

Also I can clearly recommend the old book to all SR2020 fans.

Return to “General Discussion - SRUltimate”