Garrisons over the time

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Zuikaku
General
Human: Yes

Garrisons over the time

Post by Zuikaku »

Does garrison units increase their stats over the time or they stay the same. If that is the case, is it increasingly easy to deal with them in 1949 and 2020 scenarios?
Please teach AI everything!
YoMomma
Brigadier Gen.

Re: Garrisons over the time

Post by YoMomma »

2020 they are useless. A light infantry can kill a garrisoned unit easily. They hurt nations more, cause for ex. China does not have manpower soon after loosing tons of cities in every 2020 scenario.
Luckily the ai is a bit smarter with camping the cities in last patch i think.

SR2020 garrisons are strong tho. So hope this get attention along the way. Would not be too hard i guess. I mean they get stronger with techs that increase soft infantry defence. It is just that only US has 1 tech of that in 2020. Later on you can get like 3-4 more techs with the buff.

They could do the same for 36/cw techs i guess but then again will make soft infantry OP, so that will hurt balance with tanks etc.
Gameplay 1st
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

The unit stats do not change, but some techs affect unit stats.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

Balthagor wrote:The unit stats do not change, but some techs affect unit stats.
OK, I have sent suggestion how to evolve garrisons over the time to George, but seems he's been absent here for moths. Garrisons are indeed mostly harmless and useless starting early cold war.
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

Zuikaku wrote:OK, I have sent suggestion how to evolve garrisons over the time to George, but seems he's been absent here for moths.
I dunno, moths can be pretty distracting!

Garrisons are indeed mostly harmless and useless starting early cold war.
Zuikaku makes a good case for increasing Garrison strength in the later years (post-WWII), in particular that it will make games more interesting and less blitz-y, so we're going to give this some thought.

-- George.

Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

And this is how one typo reveals secret hobby of BGs crew :D

No moths here untill May :D
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

You may not have seen it but this is actually George's profile picture ^_-

Also when you can find moths in nature that looks like this I would personally find it fairly distracting.
For the record that is the Madagascan sunset moth which probably is not to find in Canada come to think of it.
Anthropoid
Colonel

Post by Anthropoid »

Are there any reasons to actually use garrisons instead of units?

I seem to recall in SR2020 that I regarded them as pointless and never used them. I played, and replayed Egypt in that game . . . in one play through Israel sneak attacked me and really did a number on me. It was impressive for a computer opponent (CO)!

In that instance, I kicked myself for NOT having at least a few garrisons in rear area cities because the Israeli CO either did a blitz or actually used paras and captured a few rear area bases.

I suppose that: if you want to insure that you have at least _some_ protection everywhere, this is where garrisons are useful?
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

Anthropoid wrote:Are there any reasons to actually use garrisons instead of units?

I suppose that: if you want to insure that you have at least _some_ protection everywhere, this is where garrisons are useful?
Since Garrisons don't take unit build slots, you can create (and disband) them much more easily. There are interfaces in the game to create garrisons automatically across large parts of the map (battlezones, theaters) so you can quickly increase/decrease defense without moving units around individually.

But they are not meant to be as strong or flexible as putting real infantry units into cities.
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

'36 to '42 in the game they may be very deadly when supported by other units since they somewhat override hex stack limit and greatly help defense (and city is a close combat hex). After WW2 they tend to be increasingly outgunned and weak.
Anthropoid
Colonel

Post by Anthropoid »

Makes sense! Thanks guys.

Return to “General Discussion - SRUltimate”