GO FUND ME SORT OF CAMPAIGN FOR BATTLEGOAT STUDIO!

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

way2co0l
Brigadier Gen.
Human: Yes

Re: GO FUND ME SORT OF CAMPAIGN FOR BATTLEGOAT STUDIO!

Post by way2co0l »

For my quick input, I personally am a big fan of the Paradox standard. I know it grates on some people, but I don't think it's nearly as bad as some others *Cough* EA *cough*. The simple fact in my mind is that you can get a relatively good game on day one, sure. If it sells well, you might even be able to continue developing it for a short while. But the DLC and optional unit packs and such creates a revenue source that allows for a much stronger continued development cycle that results in some of the most incredible games I've ever played. They continue developing their games for years after release, and the number of features those games ultimately are able to support make them nothing short of incredible IMHO. But the only reason they get to that point is because they have a pretty consistent cash flow to finance it. New expansions encourage players to get back into it, create new youtube series which potentially bring in even more purchases of the base games with the potential for expansions as well.

I don't like price gouging, but when it's done as a legitimate attempt to provide the best possible game experience for the better part of a decade of future development, then I'm all for it.

You guys have a similar reputation from my perspective for continued development prolonging the life of your games, which is perhaps the single biggest reason I'm as big a fan as I am. Your game still has issues of course, and there will always be more that I want, but I think that's to be expected in general. lol. But I often imagine what could be done to improve your game if you had the continued revenue stream from that type of expansion/optional sprite DLC type thing in order to fund that development. The number of unresolved features that could be addressed. The number of additional features you could potentially add.

I love you guys, and I appreciate the hell out of the way you do things and the continued development for even your older games which is why I own every version of your game except 2010... But I've gotta say, I've wished for a long time that you might adopt the paradox method and your games potentially benefit from the increased development that extra revenue would make possible. From my personal perspective at least.
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

Paradox, years ago was a great game company and good practices, current Paradox, which is now a publicly traded company is now only in it for cash grabs, period. I type this as someone who has been buying and supporting Paradox for over a decade. Please do not go the "Paradox" route.
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

Zuikaku wrote:I really do not have much to say, but is there any chance that Nerei's mod will become stock part of the game??
Nerei has graciously given us permission to use his meshes in the stock game, and the last update included a number of them. Plus we re-worked the pic ID / numbering system to be more compatible with his work.

In a perfect world I'd like to do more to incorporate mod content for which we receive permission directly into the stock game, but right this minute we don't have the development resources to move that forward very quickly.
way2co0l wrote:But I've gotta say, I've wished for a long time that you might adopt the paradox method and your games potentially benefit from the increased development that extra revenue would make possible
GIJoe597 wrote:Please do not go the "Paradox" route.
Yeah, there's some controversy on that ;) I have to admit I'm split on it too. It is one way to fund development, and like I say it would be great to fund a larger team year-round on SR work; but it also limits which players have access to the latest content and game engine features (pay to play!), and that's not my desired path.

-- George.
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

As long as you are not planning on issuing an IPO things should be ok. :)
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG
way2co0l
Brigadier Gen.

Post by way2co0l »

GIJoe597 wrote:As long as you are not planning on issuing an IPO things should be ok. :)
+1 lol. I don't think most of us mind supporting you guys, but when it becomes a money grab to make stock holders happy it can become an entirely different beast.
nick-bang
Colonel
Location: A dark and ominous room - only illuminated by the eerie light of a computerscreen

Post by nick-bang »

Well ... Good answers all.

I however dont agree that a Patreon drive needs thousands of subscribers.
The point being with Patreon is that its an ADDITION to the other cashflows.

Hence it does NOT need to garner huge amounts of money. Nor does it require huge gateposts to cash in.

And also: DO and I mean RIGHT now .... get in touch with the Youtube channel "The Great War" .... a cooperation there is SO obvious - for both parties !
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Noted. Thanks.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “General Discussion - SRUltimate”