Colony questions

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Leafgreen
Colonel

Colony questions

Post by Leafgreen »

So, colonies.... supposedly better than annexing if that country is self-sufficient.

How do they trade with their parent nation? Do they initiate trades you can just autoaccept or do you have to go in every couple of days/weeks and do a trade for each good and hope they make surplus of it?

What about strategic goods? I don't want my colony trading uranium to other people.

Will a colony trade techs to other nations?

Is there any way a colony can repair units you give them?

Will a colony automatically declare war on nations that you declare war on? If yes and they actually attack that nation and take land, can they annex another nation? If they do, does the AI suffer annexation penalties to production like players do?

Will a colony call out with a trade request if they are seriously in trouble with a good type?
"That's O'neill, with two l's"
(Holds up 3 fingers)
YoMomma
Brigadier Gen.
Human: Yes

Re: Colony questions

Post by YoMomma »

The trade is pretty voodoo, they are suppose to trade surplus automaticly, if it is small number once every other day. I am not convinced all resources get traded tho. Im pretty sure about agriculture, timber, rubber and petrol, but i dont think they trade CG and IG and electricity, not sure about MG and uranium. Another issue is your colony get the same gdp as you once you conquer them, so before hand you might think it is nice to colonize africa for example, but it will make world market rise and region all of sudden has huge shortages. Colony also like to max social spending so you dont get a thing. Another major issue is not repairing damaged facilities.

Colony can repair units (as long there is a facility to repair).

Colony will capture land for you. So they wont extend their own borders by themselves. Altho if you colonize 2 neighbours the borders will be all messed up. Very annoying.
Gameplay 1st
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

They also seem to like going trillions into debt for no good reason. I wish we could have more control over our colonies such as research policies and having them actually make some money.
My SR:U Model Project, get the latest and post suggestions here:

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=28040
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

Info from the manual;

"When playing a region which owns colonies, the parent region may make diplomatic demands through the Diplomatic Negotiations popup. Regardless of the opinion of the offer, colonies are required to accept any proposals sent. These offers are considered non-negotiable.

Colonies will also join parent regions in any diplomatic agreements or declarations, meaning that during war, colonial possessions are fair game. Territory captured from a colony will not normally expand the colony, but be captured for the parent region instead.

Colonies will transfer to the parent region surplus commodity inventory. These offers are automatically accepted so as not to unnecessarily fill the diplomatic alerts category. Parent regions can initiate construction of all facility types in a colony and will claim the location if the complex being built is of a military type. For all construction started where the parent region does not control the location, the colony becomes responsible for the costs and materials required for construction. Parent regions can of course subsidise construction by sending money and materials.

New colonies can be created when eliminating other regions. When an enemy region falls in single player games, you are given the options to annex, colonize or liberate. Colonies can be liberated at any time by selecting the option in the State department. Certain territories cannot be colonized or liberated due to population loyalties to non-existent regions.
Regions cannot be colonized or liberated in Multiplayer, only in Single player."
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG
Leafgreen
Colonel

Post by Leafgreen »

Just noticed 2 new things.

I had a colony I wanted to take over, colonizing them was a mistake. Since all military facilities are in hexes I retain control of, I scrapped all of those and gathered forces outside the colony ready for a bloodless drive down the highways to the population centers.

Btw, my colony was quite happy to tell me no to trades or demand excessive returns. Even for techs. I didn't see any difference between them and any other nation as far as human negotiated trades. Wasn't watching to see if they gave me any overstock for free.

Then I noticed an allied plane in the colony. I started looking closely and there were finished air bases and air fields, production faculties being constructed - they were rebuilding their military infrastructure! I guess there's a chance I just missed that before, but there's another new thing.

WE CAN FINALLY ANNEX A COLONY!!!

thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you
(Holds up 3 fingers)
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

Leafgreen wrote:Just noticed 2 new things.
Btw, my colony was quite happy to tell me no to trades or demand excessive returns. Even for techs. I didn't see any difference between them and any other nation as far as human negotiated trades.

The indicator may show red when trading with a colony but you may still send the deal, it is always successful regardless of color.

Leafgreen
Colonel

Post by Leafgreen »

Seems we still can not make a colony out of annexed territory, I bet that was my original complaint.

I take country xyz, I build up their infrastructure at my cost, I try to release them as a colony that will not betray me.... denied.

I take my thank yous back. =P
(Holds up 3 fingers)
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

NOTE: I see my posting had a hiccup, it is cleaned up now.

That is correct. You may release a territory to the owner of its loyal hexes, but they will be an independent country. I would support an option to release loyal hexes as a Colony.

What you may consider, based on your goal of building up a colony, is doing so. The parent may build in a colony and the colony will assume control of all structures which are non military related.

An example from one of my Cold War era games; As the US I acquired/colonized Cuba. They had terrible unemployment and were lacking in several resources. By opening the Diplomatic Deals window with them I can see what items they are short of. I then check the Resources > World Statistics window for Import/Export - Production/Consumption. By using basic math, this shows me the amount Cuba is short of every resource in the game.

I ordered basic structures constructed in their territory, a Farm, Oil Well, etc. When I place the structures I take note of the cost, both in money and resources. A Farm cost $51.84M and 1,450t of Industry Goods. I then send them that amount via a trade deal, call it a foreign investment deal. Essentially I am building up their infrastructure and stabilizing their economy as much as possible. This benefits the Parent as more resources are able to be transferred from the Colony.

This works really well when the territory/country in question has a great abundance of a resource you do not. Using an extreme example, Malaysia, which has a huge concentration of Rubber. The "old way" would have been to conquer/absorb, build Rubber Plantations and accept the loyalty penalty. The "new way" is to Colonize, allow them to remain a country, order Rubber Plantations to be built, then let the Colony handle it all. They will get max production without any penalties and will automatically transfer excess to you. It is essentially the same thing, without the Parent suffering any penalties.

The down side to the current iteration is a Parent my not destroy/scrap a facility in a Colony. This can be problematic at times. I personally would enjoy the ability to scrap Petrol Power plants in a colony and build them Solar, for instance. I would also prefer to be able to set their Taxes/Social Spending levels as the Parent/Owner of a Colony.

JollyGoodBork
Captain

Post by JollyGoodBork »

GIJoe597 wrote:I would support an option to release loyal hexes as a Colony.
This

THIS

How come this is not an option?
Leafgreen
Colonel

Post by Leafgreen »

Verified that any air field/base, barracks, sea pier/port, research center in a city hex will remain in control of the colony. Anything made outside of a city will require a military complex which will turn that hex into your territory.

And still no options to 'release land loyal to xyz' to them, so can't give them unit production that way.
(Holds up 3 fingers)
Leafgreen
Colonel

Post by Leafgreen »

And no, colonies do not offer you anything on their own. Shame, they should auto-send you half of their surplus production or at least something.

A 'do not trade with' country list would be nice to have for them. Or a 'send me all surplus of this for xyz days' list perhaps.
(Holds up 3 fingers)
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

Are you certain colonies do not send excess resources? I know it states it in the manual and I have read it being confirmed by either Mr Latour or Mr Geczy in response to a Steam question.

According to manual ; "Colonies will transfer to the parent region surplus commodity inventory. These offers are automatically accepted so as not to unnecessarily fill the diplomatic alerts category. Parent regions can initiate construction of all facility types in a colony and will claim the location if the complex being built is of a military type. For all construction started where the parent region does not control the location, the colony becomes responsible for the costs and materials required for construction. Parent regions can of course subsidise construction by sending money and materials."

Concerning a "Do not Trade" list, for 8 years I have wanted the ability to Embargo other countries in SR. It makes zero sense for me to not be able to do that as a leader of a region. The best we can do currently is click a country, select the State tab > Influence Relations, select ignore Economic Offers and Ignore Military offers. Of course, this has no impact on the "world market" despite how much I wish it did.

Leafgreen
Colonel

Post by Leafgreen »

It is possible I am getting supplies from a colony and don't know it if there is no message saying trade successful. But with daily fluctuations that would be pretty hard to nail down. And colonies sell surplus for money as well which I don't begrudge them, have to keep a positive cash flow.
(Holds up 3 fingers)
merlinx_at
Captain

Post by merlinx_at »

i mess also around with this "colony-scrap"
its implemented but it sucks on all end's (sorry - but its true)

i have
Moscow - poor economy, treasury big red
Romania - poor economy, treasury in red - was ok at the beginning and then he starts building new complexes
Volgograd - poor economy, treasury big red, has enough ore, coal and petrol but has deactivated much of its factorys (goods, indus, mil) because he lacks electricity
Milan - is doing fine so far ... has a surplus of money, produces and imports needed goods for 100% demand
as colony

pro
- you become all military complexes
- you can select what to build
- you can demand all tech & design and money and can sell them to others
- the world is maybe not soo pissed on you compared to annex

contra
- your Defense Military Cost will explode
- you lack the taxes to cover this expenses
- the world hates you for the high milcap
- at least no export of electricity, CG and IG
- you have no clue ... how much will you actually receive and how much can you now export?
.) you just see under trades -18.054 t Agri and 0 M (see colony-export2.jpg) - i am listed in the TOP Importers
but i import from my colonies (28000 + 23300 + 8200) and i export much more without an entry under TOP Exporters :D
.) but if you have a positive trade, then i see that i export every day 101662t ore - no1 TOP Exporter
my prod 110017 - use 15071 - trades 101662 + ~21000 from col = 14.284 t free for trade
- no further information to the taxes or economy, ... of your colony
- the build up new Military Complexes which you earn after some time and have control over it
- you can't use barracks/airbases for repair/reserve in city's
- economic aid:
you don't know, how much the exactly need (Volgograd needs just Uran to make Electricity and turn on all facilities)
but AI is to dump to react ... it just takes my 90x1000t donation and made nothing
and much more

i have enough and will now annex them... but great
- they are now in the same sphere
- and made already new friends
- which are also yours
|O |O |O
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SRU 9.0.73.1 (Steam) / W7Pro-64 eng

Return to “General Discussion - SRUltimate”