Total Beginner

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

ryu4fly
Corporal
Human: Yes

Total Beginner

Post by ryu4fly »

I have played this game before but always struggle and tried watching tons of videos, but still no improvement. Any one recommend where exactly on the forums I should be looking at in order to fully understand the concept and mechanics of this game? I really enjoy playing it just hate losing all the time LOL
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Re: Total Beginner

Post by GIJoe597 »

This may or may not be of help to you, when it comes to some things in the game; If there is something specific you do not understand, please let me know, I will do my best to address it, if I can.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... LjEatC5X4q
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG
PleXD
Sergeant

Post by PleXD »

If you can get your head around the supply system in the game most other things will fall into place.

http://www.supremewiki.com/node/20

An Airbase and a supply depot built anywhere will give you close to 100% supply for that hex.
mrgenie
Brigadier Gen.

Post by mrgenie »

PleXD wrote:If you can get your head around the supply system in the game most other things will fall into place.

http://www.supremewiki.com/node/20

An Airbase and a supply depot built anywhere will give you close to 100% supply for that hex.

Prefer building them in "cities" first.
Then "large towns"
then "towns"
then "small towns"

for reaching 100% 1 airbase and 1 supply depot is enough.

If you want to reach 100% in smaller urban regions, you need airbase + 2 supply depots

I always prefer keeping my "central supply distributions locations at 100%" You get a very good spread of supply

Also, keep in mind on difficult defensive positions:"simply build a stack of doom, or a frontline of doom"
fortification, gun emplacement + 20 elite soldiers entrenched.. behind them artillery and AA entrenched.

Now let the computer roll 1.000.000 troops against your 5000 troops entrenched in a stack of doom :) He won't penetrate that

Even playing luxemburg. Buy your units from UK/USA and build a stack of doom in a front line.. and let 10 Million Germans run against
tiny little luxemburg. They don't stand a chance! :)

Of course, invading Germany with your stack of doom.. ehm.. don't! LOL That's when your units run out of supply very fast and then Germany
will slaughter them.

Ehm, your stack of doom holds as long as you keep enough military good for resupply of course.. so keep buying it on the market.

I usually forbid the minister to sell it and keep stacking it in my warehouses..

Even if you think:"ahh, I already have 2.000.000 military goods.. in an all out war, those 2.000.000 will get you through a war of 2-3 months..

eventually of course, luxemburg would loose from Germany. Which won't happen because the UK/France/ will assist you..

If they loose, eventually you'll loose as well, as your stack of doom will hold, until you run out of ammo(military goods)

To keep it up yourself indefinitely, you need a country the size of the Netherlands, or Belgium. Those are large enough to hold off
10.000.000 troops indefinitely with a nice stack of doom lined up properly.

Usually I tare down bridges as well at the borders.. makes it easier to defend.

And at critical places, build military complexes, fortification and gun.. preferable on high grounds (light green on the map)

If you play france.. or bigger countries. 100% assured you win. No fun there.. it's always fun playing the smaller ones, as the big you can't loose really if you use
the stack of doom front line technique.

Ehm,. this won't work in Multiplayer of course! A human would be smart enough to send in 50 artillery or so and smash your stack of doom within no time! LOL
[UI-MOD] All-In-One viewtopic.php?f=91&t=31906
selenaly
Corporal

Post by selenaly »

i am also watching movies and videos for this games, however, it still makes me confused when i start to play in high level. I take control china and play it more regularly.
mrgenie
Brigadier Gen.

Post by mrgenie »

selenaly wrote:i am also watching movies and videos for this games, however, it still makes me confused when i start to play in high level. I take control china and play it more regularly.
To learn the game, you shouldn't play a country as big as china. Because your changes/descisions/strategy won't be as clear, dissappearing in the biggness of your empire, as with a smaller country.

If you change electricity production, it's impact on economy or production vs cost, etc is not so easily to be seen as with a small country.

simply start with let's say new zealand.
destroy all electricity.
build all electricity supply with coal
let the game run and see how your GPD/cost etc turn out on highest speed in 6 months
restart and now build only alternative power plants
watch again your gdp, income, costs, etc
now do this with fuel plants..

that's how you can easily understand what happens.

simply rising costs, doesn't mean to be bad in this game. because if it causing your GDP to rise faster, in the end you can maintain
a larger army.

but if GPD rises to fast, your consumer goods might get too expensive and then losing money again.

you really have to "trial and error"

but generally I've learned to let the minister have a balanced budget.

he's very good at it.. as long as you keep your military at a respectable size to your country.

if you have a military of 600.000 troops on a population of 5 million, be sure you'll run out of money sooner or later.
you have to play in persepective.

if you want to fight a bigger country while having a huge army, instead of micro management.

save up money before going to war..

if you play manually, a small army can do the trick as long as you keep 5-7 units per tile, a line of 5 in V-shape for example..
behind the line AA and Arty.. and now manually move forward.

you can use very cheap units for this

haven't met an AI smart enough to pull out his units, go around the v-formation
and attack from behind (would be devastating of course to your troops)

I've played some multiplayer games where humans are smart enough to battle this.
either sending good bomber planes..
enough arty to punch the frontline
or indeed attack from the back

many more tricks a human will come up with

but versus AI..
simply play stack of doom or frontline of doom et voila, c'est ca
[UI-MOD] All-In-One viewtopic.php?f=91&t=31906

Return to “General Discussion - SRUltimate”