Your most embarrassing military defeats

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Cdiplayer
Colonel
Human: Yes

Your most embarrassing military defeats

Post by Cdiplayer »

Post your most embarrassing military defeats here. My first story is one of the AI forcing an impossible situation on me, through no fault of my own, and my best efforts to emerge victorious. I chose to play as Turkey in the 1936 scenario and my goal was to join the allies near the end of the war, after I had modernized and built up my army enough to seize some chunks of the Balkans from the Axis. To help with this I started increasing my relations with the allied powers, including the Soviet Union. Unfortunately, in mid 1942, in spite of the fact they were losing the war with Germany, the Soviet Union declared war on me. I was shocked and scared but I decided that in light of these events, my only choice was to join the Axis.

I quickly signed on to the Tripartite Pact and launched an invasion of the Caucuses. Nazi Germany took Moscow and the Soviets moved their capital to Central Asia. Eager to crush them and end the war quickly (my army was woefully outdated) I signed an alliance with Iran so that I could invade Soviet Central Asia from the south. As I began my invasion the British declared war on me. I invaded British Iraq and quickly took Baghdad. Upon doing this I linked up with my ally Italy. They were struggling to invade Saudi Arabia and Syria so I decided to aid them by attacking Syria. I crushed Syria and then shortly afterward the Soviet capital of Stalinabad fell to my invincible forces. With this the entire Soviet Union surrendered.
Things were looking pretty good for the Axis. We had control of almost all of the Eastern Hemisphere. An American landing force was beginning to take land in China but I was confident that the Japanese could handle it. Just in case they needed reinforcements I started an invasion of Uyghuristan to try and link up with my Japanese allies. The invasion progressed painfully slow thanks to supply problems so I chose to invade Iran and British India so that I could aid the Japanese from the South. Unfortunately, by the time I had overrun Iran and India the Japanese Empire had almost totally collapsed. The Americans controlled all of China and were moving into my possessions in the Russian far east. My hold on India was tenuous as well, rebels ravaged the countryside but I was unable to spare troops to put them down. I invaded Mongolia to try and outflank the Americans but was unable to complete the invasion before a British and American force began moving into India, forcing me to withdraw.
At this point Germany and Italy were still strong and so I was convinced that their combined force could halt the allied advance in Asia. Unfortunately, they kept sending units into Africa and the Arabian Peninsula.
I continued to defend my empire but my army kept shrinking due to my severe technological disadvantage compared to the British and Americans. I started churning out massive numbers of foot infantry to try and stall the American advance, then Indian rebels seized enough land to declare independence and reform their nation. By this time Americans and Brits were in Central India. I decided that now was the time to make a stand, either my empire would crush the allies and retake India, or my army would be forever destroyed and the enemy would have a clear path all the way to Ankara. In spite of overwhelming numbers against me I launched the offensive, with foot infantry and elite guard against Bren Carriers and M-75 APCs, with T 26 light tanks going toe to toe with M6 heavy tanks and Churchills. I opened the offensive with an artillery barrage using 77m 1916 Field Guns and then sent the armor forward with infantry support. Captured Soviet fighters and bombers provided air cover and when my lines started to buckle I sent the elite guards forward to hold the line.

After heavy losses I drove the allies back to Dhaka and then surrounded the British army around the city. I slowly closed the pocket until 90% of the British army had been destroyed. (not just in this theater, but in the whole world) The few remaining American units retreated as my victorious army liberated all of India from the allies. I held the line for another 6 months until an American counteroffensive broke my lines and retook India from me despite a brave fight and several counterattacks by my forces. The remnants of my army withdrew to the homeland to prepare for the final battle as American units rolled through Persia and Uyghuristan into the Turkish heartland. My few remaining units defended Ankara bravely, but after only 10 days the capital fell and the Americans took Anatolia.

The last brave lads left from my entire military made a last stand at the Southern tip of India while the government fled to northern Siberia. Americans flooded into the Caucuses, the Middle East, and western Russia, quickly liberating Moscow from the Germans and taking all of eastern Europe before taking Berlin and crushing Nazi Germany. Nazi Germany fell to allied forces and the Netherlands, France, Finland, and Luxembourg were liberated. The Italians held out in vain as their empire crumbled and I realized all was lost.
I honestly do not understand how I could have won that scenario, in spite of my efforts to the contrary, the Soviet Union forced me into the war on the side of the Axis and the Germans and Italians refused to use their massive air force to halt the American advance.
Anyway, what impressive defeats do you all have to share?
Aawish
Warrant Officer

Re: Your most embarrassing military defeats

Post by Aawish »

Damn! USA was very aggressive in your campaign. In most of my campaigns they are mostly passive.. :-?
JollyGoodBork
Captain

Post by JollyGoodBork »

I do agree on USA's aggressivity.
But what I certainly did LOVE with your game was how Italy and Japan were doing in your let's play!

Did you use the regular, latest version?

I'm new to this game so I have yet to suffer a decisive defeat.

This was indeed a very good read. Should be with the AAR's, that's how nice it was.

The axis DID most definately outplay you there, amazing work on behalf of the USA there.

The battle isn't all lost thou, is it? Japan and Italy are somehow still standing strong, in their homelands. You can try to make sure that the americans don't capture Rome, and you seem superior on the Russian fronts, meaning that you could possible relieve the Japs a bit.

Thanks for the nice read! This was actually interesting.

When I play it's always the same thing... ALWAYS. THE EXACT SAME THING
Germany declares war on Lithuania. Doesn't invade, has no troops at the borders when the war is declared. Lithuania gives no shits about moving troops to the border. Italy doesn't join the war.

Italy just cannot defeat Ethiopia.

Italy declares war on Czechoslovakia.
They don't ask Austria for land transit.
Germany doesn't join the war.

Italy declares war on the Swiss. They fall within a month. The germans do not join the war,
Germany declares war on Finland without invading or doing anything, really. Italy doesn't join the war.

None of these increases world tension.
This happens EVERY GAME.
There's nothing interesting. The same wars over and over, even though those are ahistorical wars that make no strategical or political sense.

Tested running as Germany once and declared war on the UK.
None of their allies joined.

(Sigh)

Then Germany easily defeats USSR and Japan surrenders to China almost immediately.

But your game looked like something else.

Italy and Japan were kickin ass, especially Italy...

Wait a second.. this isn't the 1936 scenario AT ALL! You lied to me!

Why

Can't not love that Sweden thou, it has taken back the northern minority in Finland and recreated the union with Norway.
And regardless of starting date, USA, Italy and Japan were all awesome in this
ZEvans96
Major

Post by ZEvans96 »

@JollyGoodBork

It is the 1936 scenario, he just played the game for many years and began talking about his gameplay once the Soviets attacked him.
JollyGoodBork
Captain

Post by JollyGoodBork »

ZEvans96 wrote:@JollyGoodBork

It is the 1936 scenario, he just played the game for many years and began talking about his gameplay once the Soviets attacked him.
That italian east africa (and some other stuff) makes me think it was most definately the 1939 scenario and not the 1936 he started with. That partially also explains why Japan and Italy weren't as awful as usual. You see when this scenario begins Italy has already conquered ethiopia, and Japan has a large chunk of China.
Cdiplayer
Colonel

Post by Cdiplayer »

JollyGoodBork wrote:

That italian east africa (and some other stuff) makes me think it was most definately the 1939 scenario and not the 1936 he started with. That partially also explains why Japan and Italy weren't as awful as usual. You see when this scenario begins Italy has already conquered ethiopia, and Japan has a large chunk of China.
[_]O I can't remember which scenario it was, but I'm pretty certain it is the 36 one. Regardless, to keep playing would be pointless, as I have almost no military and only a handful of land production facilities. Not to mention my massive population and resource disadvantage. I did keep playing a little bit past the last screenshot I posted and Italy fell within 3 weeks. They had a very large military, but their technological inferiority was the death of them. (The US had F 84 Thunderjets and Banshees). Anyway, I started over again from a save close to the second screenshot. This time instead of annexing India I liberated them, thus taking them out of the war and denying the US that population. I also blocked American advances into my homeland by liberating Kazakhstan and some of the other Central Asian nations. By doing this I bought myself some time to buildup and modernize my military.

During this time I invaded East Africa to try and help the Italians and managed to take Somalia, Djibouti, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, and help the Italians take Sudan before the South Africans and Australians showed up and kicked me out. Then the Brazilians invaded the Sudan and kicked the Italians out. Since then its been a largely static front in northern Sudan between Brazil and Italy. The Americans eventually conquered most of Siberia and reached Germany. They advanced up to the Dniester and the outskirts of Warsaw and for the past three years have been dueling with the Germans and Hungarians on a largely static front.

I also blocked their advances into the Caucuses by liberating Georgia and Azerbaijan. Spain declared war on Germany in 1952 but thanks to me Germany quickly annexed them. It is looking as though the Germans and Italians are slowly losing both on the eastern and southern fronts and my military isn't large enough to help yet. I'm also getting sick of the AI being stupid and not using combined arms assaults. Italy has a massive air force that they are not using enough on either front. If anyone is interested I would love to turn this into a multiplayer game, with one player as each of the Axis powers teaming up against the allied AI.
plpge84
Sergeant

Post by plpge84 »

JollyGoodBork wrote:

Italian east africa appears also in 1936 scenario in case Italy manages to win the war against Ethiopia (not such a rare event, in my experience): this most definitely cannot be considered as an evidence that it was the not the 1936 scenario.
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

I guess mine is still with SR2020 not SRU but it has to be the darn UK vs Russia game. I certainly feel as though I have been defeated;

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 54&t=21606
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG
JollyGoodBork
Captain

Post by JollyGoodBork »

plpge84 wrote:
JollyGoodBork wrote:

Italian east africa appears also in 1936 scenario in case Italy manages to win the war against Ethiopia (not such a rare event, in my experience): this most definitely cannot be considered as an evidence that it was the not the 1936 scenario.
I did know that such an event could happen, but Italy conquering ethiopia felt almost mind blowing to me. Since they don't concentrate their forces, and don't keep on advancing, the ethiopians can eventually turn the war into a stalemate, since the italiens aren't even capable of defeating a town full of garrisons (especially when that town is reinforced with cavalry).

However, the ethiopians don't care about retaking territory, but I guess they're just careful

Also cdiplayer, that multiplayer game seems hard but fun.

But what about the asian theatre? How were the japanese doing after you reloaded?
Cdiplayer
Colonel

Post by Cdiplayer »

In my reload China is owned by the US and Japan still just has control of the homeland and nothing else.
JollyGoodBork
Captain

Post by JollyGoodBork »

JollyGoodBork wrote: they don't concentrate their forces, and don't keep on advancing, the ethiopians can eventually turn the war into a stalemate
Cdiplayer wrote:I'm also getting sick of the AI being stupid and not using combined arms assaults. Italy has a massive air force that they are not using enough on either front.
I think we are both very tired of the fact that the AI doesn't know the most basic of all basic military principles, that to win a battle you should always try to be locally larger in numbers. Italy would crush ethiopia much easier if they understood this.
It would also be great if they could use the air force, the navy and if they didn't separate the artillery from the rest pf the ground forces.
Although I've heard mosding could improve all of these sligtly, at least the use of navy and artillery.

PS:(this post was kinda hard to write on a phone, excuse any typos)

Return to “General Discussion - SRUltimate”