The answer to late game slowdown=?

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Cdiplayer
Colonel
Human: Yes

The answer to late game slowdown=?

Post by Cdiplayer »

I'm building a new gaming pc and I was wondering what the best way to speed the game up would be. What would I need in terms of processor power and RAM? A friend had a theory that a killer processor could speed the game up. What do you guys think?
YoMomma
Brigadier Gen.

Re: The answer to late game slowdown=?

Post by YoMomma »

Im pretty sure its CPU most games require, altho BG devs claim its ram mainly. I think i red that somewhere.

I would go for CPU anyway, devs just claim its complicated game.
Gameplay 1st
number47
General

Post by number47 »

CPU is the most important thing in BG series...When I upgraded from Intel Q8200 (2,66Mhz) to Intel i5-4690K (3,5Mhz) over a year ago, the speed improved drastically, like going from 1:45 min per day to 10-15 sec per day (benchmarked the old SRCW save I had issues with before). SR can't possibly use more than 4gb of ram...but that doesn't mean you shouldn't go for more if building new rig.
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
ZEvans96
Major

Post by ZEvans96 »

The game will always slow down A LOT, a better PC will make it better but you will always run into the same problem. I have a i7-6700K 4.0GHz with a 8GB 980M and despite whatever the speed of the day is (bounces from a few seconds to 10 or 15) the game is just slow. I get 30FPS on average when looking around the map, and that's while paused... When you upgrade hoping to get a big performance increase, don't get your hopes up too much, you might get a little bit better speeds but it's not going to amount to much unless you have a really ****** computer to start with.
Rhaycen
Major

Post by Rhaycen »

The late game slows down a lot, mostly because the AI nations build crazy numbers of troops.
I'm currently playing a 1936 game as the USSR and even after I liberated Germany and made it a communist state they just kept on building units.
every square inch of germany is covered in ground units. Every airfield in Germany and many in Russia and other allied nations are packed with German aircraft.

They haven't been at war with anyone since 1940'ish ... it is now 1977 in my game ... but the keep their units around and keep producing more and more.

you would want the strongest possible CPU to handle that, but in the end the late game slowdown is caused by programming not by a computer hardware issue.
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

Unfortunately nothing is going to help. I switched to a good quad-core cpu when my SR game started slowing down and it barely helped at all. The game is bugged in this regard.
Rhaycen
Major

Post by Rhaycen »

Exactly, not even a super computer would be able to handle the near infinite number of units the game likes to create.

Only "solution" I see to this problem is making the maintenance of units 10-100x more expensive so that nations can't have 1000's of units.
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

I don't think it's the units either. I think it has something to do with history cache or endless loops.
ImSorryISuck
Corporal

Post by ImSorryISuck »

After a lot of hours, I have finally found out why the game slows down so much. The reason for this is because of the amount of garrisoned troops that is on the map. The AI tends to garrison troops in all of their cities, towns, industrial and military hexes when at war and it slows the game down. To fix this problem, I host a MP session and switch to the nations with the largest militaries and I removed the garrisons from the map. DISABLE GARRISON AI CONTROL or they will just request the troops again. The nations causing the lag is typically the US, Russia, China and India. If your save game has a lot of progress in it, and another nation now owns a huge portion of land, then host an MP session and do the same. For example, if in your save France conquered the entirety of Europe, then you would need to switch to France and dismiss the garrison. Sorry for my English, it's not my first language.
YoMomma
Brigadier Gen.

Post by YoMomma »

ImSorryISuck wrote:After a lot of hours, I have finally found out why the game slows down so much. The reason for this is because of the amount of garrisoned troops that is on the map. The AI tends to garrison troops in all of their cities, towns, industrial and military hexes when at war and it slows the game down. To fix this problem, I host a MP session and switch to the nations with the largest militaries and I removed the garrisons from the map. DISABLE GARRISON AI CONTROL or they will just request the troops again. The nations causing the lag is typically the US, Russia, China and India. If your save game has a lot of progress in it, and another nation now owns a huge portion of land, then host an MP session and do the same. For example, if in your save France conquered the entirety of Europe, then you would need to switch to France and dismiss the garrison. Sorry for my English, it's not my first language.
I think you might have a point here. I tried this myself before and remember how my games could run much longer. altho it is prolly 1 of the big factors. Ofcourse all the units on the map and calculations to be made does not help either.
And then again, in SRU it is either A or B. I mean it's full garrison all cities and militairy complex or not at all.
It's funny but if you play SR2020 you will see there is more then A and B. Calling SRU almost finished is ignoring the quality standard they had before.
Gameplay 1st
EnemyShine
Sergeant

Post by EnemyShine »

To choke activities of AI there is the code. Use ctrl + s > cheat allowcheats > cheat noaiinit. It'll increase gamespeed drastically, consequently you will not get any benefits and AI seems to work well in defence.
Uriens
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Uriens »

Any other cheats we could use in there? It can help mod making greatly.
Jack16
Captain

Post by Jack16 »

I have the same problem, only that my AI tend to send all personnel to garrison whenever there is a war against a strong opponent (equal in power or stronger). Have anyone fixed these problems? I don't want to go on MP and use like hours to change every nation in my savefiles... Besides, I have tried it before, but the AI sometimes tend to use a bit more time then goes back to the old personnel to garrison tactic.

It's really annoying and ruins the fun of the game.
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

I think the problem is not unit count in garrisons but maybe some weird circular line of code there? Because otherwise garrison units are not that numerous throughout the world. Like up to 10,000? Probably much less. That's a lot less than total number of non-garrison units. Yet garrison units slow things down more than mobile units.
Anyway, that's interesting is that I'm not sure where the game is bottlenecking. My CPU use does not go over 40% even when I switch application to "realtime" priority. GPU is certainly not the culprit and RAM are aplenty and fast. Disk is SSD. Nothing seems to help. I've even bough an SSD disk and a faster CPU and neither helped basically at all.
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

Devs seem to be absent from forum for months now. :-( We are on our own now. Think the main problem here is hyperproduction of new units. AI seems to be on the rampage building more and more land, air and naval unit production facilities. 20 years in any game, each of the main world powers have 100-150 land build capacity spawning thousands of units and moving them all over the map(what appears to be aimlessly).
Please teach AI everything!

Return to “General Discussion - SRUltimate”